Professional Web Applications Themes

Why don?t the location values in the Sprite Overlay agree with the values - Macromedia Director Basics

I would expect the left,top,right bottom values for a sprite that appear underneath it on the stage when you click on it to agree with the l,t,r,b values in the Sprite Inspector. But they don?t. As I understand it the registration points are differ in position for a text sprite and a bitmapped sprite but that still doesn?t explain it. For example, for a text sprite, Inspector shows l:383, t:422, r:770, b:449 with X:383, Y:422 and W:387, H:27 which is internally consistent. But the Overlay for the same sprite is (400,500,787,527) Shouldn?t they agree? What am I missing? Confused, (Director ...

  1. #1

    Default Why don?t the location values in the Sprite Overlay agree with the values

    I would expect the left,top,right bottom values for a sprite that appear underneath it on the stage when you click on it to agree with the l,t,r,b values in the Sprite Inspector. But they don?t. As I understand it the registration points are differ in position for a text sprite and a bitmapped sprite but that still doesn?t explain it.

    For example, for a text sprite, Inspector shows
    l:383, t:422, r:770, b:449 with X:383, Y:422 and W:387, H:27
    which is internally consistent. But the Overlay for the same sprite is (400,500,787,527)

    Shouldn?t they agree? What am I missing?

    Confused,

    (Director 7.0, Mac)

    adiabatic webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Two questions...

    1) Does the Overlay's values change if you move the Stage around on the screen?
    2) Are you running D7 in OS9 within OSX?

    Charles Parcell
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Director MX
    ----
    Web Forums
    ----
    Feature Request & Bug Form
    Charles Parcell webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why don?t the location values in the Sprite Overlay agree with the valu

    Hello Charles Parcell,

    Thanks for your interest. Your question about moving the sprite helped me solve the problem. Let me explain.

    I am using Lingo to position sprites on the stage during the course of a movie. For diagnostic purposes I Put the position of some sprites in the Message window during a run. They show the sprite to be where it should be. When I stop a run with the Controller and click on a sprite, the Overlay has the correct position which is consistent with the Message window. The Inspector however HAS THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF THE SPRITE BEFORE THE RUN STARTED. So both agree on the width and height of the sprite but not its position. If you drag the sprite by the smallest amount it snaps back to its original position and now Overlay and Inspector are in complete agreement. It looks like the Inspector figures that when the movie has been stopped, the sprite belongs in its original position where it quickly goes if given a slight nudge. I wouldn?t have caught this had I not moved it as you suggested.

    Thanks again,
    Fred

    adiabatic webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ahh yes. That pesky redraw issue after moving sprites via Lingo.

    It can really cause you to pull your hair out when you create sprites at runtime and then distroy them when you stop running. So, now the sprite no long exists but there is a sprite rendered on the Stage still. On a late night after looking at the screen for 16 hours that can make you scratch your head on occasion.

    :)

    Glad the problem is solved for you.