Professional Web Applications Themes

why is burning in TOAST so slow? - Mac Applications & Software

I am burning some MP3 cds (I leave the files in MP3 format, they are *not* converted on the fly to audio cds) and the burning seems very slow. While the counter in Toast dropped from 2:08 to 2:00, the clock in the menu bar advanced almost 40 seconds... so it's 5 times slower, it will take well over 10 minutes to burn this CD-R (althought TOAST indicated less than 3 minutes whan I started). This is OS X 10.2.6 with toast 5.1.4. I haven't updated to the latest Toast since it's not broken, then don't fix it. Maybe I ...

  1. #1

    Default why is burning in TOAST so slow?

    I am burning some MP3 cds (I leave the files in MP3 format, they are
    *not* converted on the fly to audio cds) and the burning seems very
    slow. While the counter in Toast dropped from 2:08 to 2:00, the clock in
    the menu bar advanced almost 40 seconds... so it's 5 times slower, it
    will take well over 10 minutes to burn this CD-R (althought TOAST
    indicated less than 3 minutes whan I started).

    This is OS X 10.2.6 with toast 5.1.4. I haven't updated to the latest
    Toast since it's not broken, then don't fix it. Maybe I should...

    any indeas? thanks
    chibitul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: why is burning in TOAST so slow?

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    chibitul <com> wrote:

    Probably has to do with the speed of your burner. My external FireWire
    52X can burn a CD full of MP3s in about 1:18 or so.....on both Toast 5
    and 6.

    What speed is your burner and do your blank CDs support your max burn
    speed? Also, is your burner FW, USB, Internal or External?
    --
    Slartibartfast
    Winner of the prestigious "Fijords" award;

  3. #3

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    chibitul <com> wrote:

    What kind of drive are you using?

    --
    You are what you eat, therefore, I'm a vegetable! Cows and chickens
    and Pop Tarts are too.

  4. #4

    chibitul <com> wrote:

    For best burning, it should take 30 minutes or an hour. Speed when
    burning a CD is not a desideratum; reliability of the burn is. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g1lopx.1stx8vr133l5nyN%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > For best burning, it should take 30 minutes or an hour. Speed when
    > burning a CD is not a desideratum; reliability of the burn is. m.[/ref]

    Not when you do a quick test to see if the DVD player reads PM3 CDs. It
    will end up in the trash anyway...
    chibitul Guest

  6. #6

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <net> wrote:

    > What kind of drive are you using?[/ref]

    It's a latest iBook 900 MHz with built-i 24x CD-R drive.

    I turned OFF the "Prevent buffer underrun" in Toast and it burned in
    "real-time". Maybe the buffer underrun protection slows down the burning
    to a "safe" speed? The blanks CD-R are so cheap, it's a wate of time, I
    need 24x burning speeed, even if I get a coaster :)
    chibitul Guest

  7. #7

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    chibitul <com> wrote:

    > Not when you do a quick test to see if the DVD player reads PM3 CDs. It
    > will end up in the trash anyway...[/ref]

    You've missed, then, that there's at least anecdotal evidence that
    burning at faster than 2x - even with a good burn - may produce a disc
    that some consumer players can't cope with?

    Gregory Guest

  8. #8

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    chibitul <com> wrote:

    > > What kind of drive are you using?[/ref]
    >
    > It's a latest iBook 900 MHz with built-i 24x CD-R drive.
    >
    > I turned OFF the "Prevent buffer underrun" in Toast and it burned in
    > "real-time". Maybe the buffer underrun protection slows down the burning
    > to a "safe" speed? The blanks CD-R are so cheap, it's a wate of time, I
    > need 24x burning speeed, even if I get a coaster :)[/ref]

    That's the way; burn coasters, but make it up in volume. Ya gotta love
    it :-)

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    Gregory Weston <com> writes:

    >> Not when you do a quick test to see if the DVD player reads PM3
    >> CDs. It will end up in the trash anyway...[/ref]
    >
    > You've missed, then, that there's at least anecdotal evidence that
    > burning at faster than 2x - even with a good burn - may produce a
    > disc that some consumer players can't cope with?[/ref]

    When burning audio discs.

    I haven't heard any such thing regarding data discs (which is what
    MP3 discs are).

    -- David
    David Guest

  10. #10

    com (matt neuburg) wrote in message news:<1g1lopx.1stx8vr133l5nyN%com>...

    > For best burning, it should take 30 minutes or an hour. Speed when
    > burning a CD is not a desideratum; reliability of the burn is. m.[/ref]

    Poppy! My Firewire 16x burner can burn a CD in 5 minutes, and I've
    never had a problem with reliability in the last year.
    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    I've been burning at 4x recently and do sometimes run into difficulties.
    But the 2x and 1x options in Toast are greyed out, and I don't see how
    to get them. This is using OS 10.2.6 on a quicksilver G4 with a Sony
    CD-RW.
    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read

  12. #12

    com (Daniel Cohen) writes:

    > I've been burning at 4x recently and do sometimes run into
    > difficulties. But the 2x and 1x options in Toast are greyed out,
    > and I don't see how to get them. This is using OS 10.2.6 on a
    > quicksilver G4 with a Sony CD-RW.[/ref]

    I've got a QuickSilver-2002 Mac with a SuperDrive.

    When I try to burn from Toast, 1x and 2x and 6x are available on the menu,
    but they are italicized. 4x and 8x are not italicized. I'm not sure
    what this means, although I suspect it's not actually burning at that
    speed. (I haven't actually bothered timing burns, which is why I
    don't know for sure.)

    I also noticed that when I insert CD-RW media, the 8x item is also
    italicized (which makes sense because my SuperDrive only burns CD-RW
    media at 4x)

    When I try to burn at 1x or 2x speed from iTunes, it actually burns
    at 4x. (Since iTunes gives a time-remaining estimate, it's easy to
    see that the estimate is 1/4 of the playback time.)

    -- David
    David Guest

  13. #13

  14. #14

    Slartibartfast <org> wrote:

    > Probably has to do with the speed of your burner. My external FireWire
    > 52X can burn a CD full of MP3s in about 1:18 or so.....on both Toast 5
    > and 6.
    >
    > What speed is your burner and do your blank CDs support your max burn
    > speed? Also, is your burner FW, USB, Internal or External?[/ref]

    You seem to be missing my point, as you are referring to *fast* burn
    rates, but perhaps you have some relevant knowledge.

    I am trying to record at a *slow* speed, and am wondering if this is
    possible, as the 1x and 2x are greyed out. 4x records fine, but
    sometimes has problems on my CD player.

    And I specified my machine, Quicksilver G4 with an internal CD-RW drive
    made by Sony.

  15. #15

    Daniel Cohen <com> wrote:

    As you were told, not all burners can use all speeds supported by Toast
    (or other burning apps). If your burner cannot burn at 1x or 2x, but is
    happy with 4x, it may tell Toast to grey out these options. My FW-burner
    cannot burn at 6x, but 8x and faster is okay, as well as1x, 2x and 4x.

    Christian.

    --
    Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana: <http://www.chance-for-children.org>

  16. #16

    Christian <ch> wrote:

    Quite. But it surprises me that *slow* burns aren't supported. I can
    easily see that fast burns, and perhaps some intermediate speeds, might
    not be supported, but I would have expected that slow speeds such as 1x
    and 2x would always be supported.

    Others must have my setup which is a perfectly standard off-the-shelf
    one(I've given details several times) and do they have the same issue?
    And is there any way I can check?

  17. #17

    com (Daniel Cohen) writes:

    missed.

    Lots of people (myself included) have this issue, and have posted
    about it.

    -- David
    David Guest

  18. #18

    > Quite. But it surprises me that *slow* burns aren't supported. I can
    > easily see that fast burns, and perhaps some intermediate speeds, might
    > not be supported, but I would have expected that slow speeds such as 1x
    > and 2x would always be supported.
    >[/ref]

    What are you burning? CD-RW perhaps?

    Rewritables come in two flavours: those that can (re)-write at 1-4x
    speed and those that can (re)-write at 8x and faster. Those two types
    are incompatible, which would explain why you can't burn at slow speeds...

    Jaco Guest

  19. #19

    David C. <techienospam.comnospam.invalid> wrote:

    All the posts I have seen (plenty of them, though possibly not all) have
    spoken about *maximum* speed, and I have been asking about *minimum*
    speed.

    the answer turns out to be that the Sony CD-RW installed in the
    Quicksilver G4 does have a minimum speed of 4x, much to my surprise. I
    found this out while using a demo version of Dragon Burn, where the
    information available for the recorder includes (which Toast does not)
    all the speeds at which the recorder can burn.

  20. #20

    Jaco Schoonen <noway> wrote:

    Interesting information, which may come in useful at some time, but it
    isn't the issue.

    the answer turns out to be that the Sony CD-RW recorder installed in the
    Quicksilver G4 does have a minimum speed of 4x, much to my surprise. I
    found this out while using a demo version of Dragon Burn, where the
    information available for the recorder includes (which Toast does not)
    all the speeds at which the recorder can burn.

    I happen to have an external recorder as well, and I think I might try
    using it for audio CDs, as 2x is supposed to be the best speed.
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read
    Daniel Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast