Professional Web Applications Themes

Why is Illustrator CS2 such a memory hog? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I've got some huge problems with its insatiable appetite for memory. Would like to you how many of you are facing the same problem, or is it that I'm the only one suffering. Here is what I just tested: Open Illustrator CS2 program: 80M of memory taken Create a new A4 sized Illustrator file: 250M taken in total Close the new A4 file without saving: still 250M taken Create another new A4 file: 320M taken Close, and create another new file: 390M And so on. It seems like the program does not release any memory and keeps asking for more. ...

  1. #1

    Default Why is Illustrator CS2 such a memory hog?

    I've got some huge problems with its insatiable appetite for memory. Would like to you how many of you are facing the same problem, or is it that I'm the only one suffering.

    Here is what I just tested:
    Open Illustrator CS2 program: 80M of memory taken
    Create a new A4 sized Illustrator file: 250M taken in total
    Close the new A4 file without saving: still 250M taken
    Create another new A4 file: 320M taken
    Close, and create another new file: 390M
    And so on.

    It seems like the program does not release any memory and keeps asking for more. Even when I started with a new file and didn't do a great number of operations, it would quickly take over 600M of memory. Closing the program releases the memory, but the whole process repeats itself on restart.

    This memory problem is almost making CS2 unusable for me. Any ideas how to get rid of it?
    Giles_Humphrey@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why is Illustrator CS2 such a memory hog?

    I do not see the perpetually increasing memory usage that you do. I did a test and got the following stats:

    Start Illustrator CS2 78.5 M
    New RGB Doc 97.2 M
    Close that doc 89 M
    2nd New RGB Doc 97.4 M
    Close that doc 89.2 M

    The above 2 steps can be repeated without growth, however it may take a few minutes after closing a file for the memory usage to go down. Also immediately after opening a file the memory usage is about 0.5 MB higher than shown above, then it goes down within a minute.

    New CMYK Doc 97.7 M
    Close that 89.6 M

    The above 2 steps can be repeated without growth.

    The first time in each session that you create a new blank doent of a given color mode, Illustrator loads the Startup doent for that color mode, and thereafter keeps it open to make subsequent New operations faster. You can reduce the amount of memory needed for new blank doents by removing any unused palette content (symbols, brushes, patterns, etc.) from your Startup doents. (Located in the Plug-ins folder.) Some of the natural media brushes in particular are rather large.

    Memory usage allocated to Illustrator will go down faster after an action that releases memory if there are other applications running in the background. Many times when memory is freed, it is still classified for a while as belonging to the application that freed it until some other app comes along and asks for some memory.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    Here are my test results (consistent with Teri):

    Open AI 12.01 - 84.9M
    New (blank) RGB Doc - 102.5M
    Close Doc - 91.1M
    2nd new RGB Doc - 102.3M
    Close Doc - 92.1M

    Repeating the above (Ctrl+N, Enter, Ctrl+F4, ...) pretty much keeps the same memory usage numbers. Even though 100MB is high for a blank doent, I don't see any "leaking".

    For CMYK doents:
    Open - 104.2M
    Close - 93.8M

    Repeating this many times pretty much stays consistent with the above numbers.

    This is with a newly installed CS2 with the 12.0.1 patch (no extra symbols, palettes, or plugins installed).
    janericster@hotmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    Even though 100MB is high for a blank doent

    Well, most of that 100MB is the base memory needed to have the app running.

    The size of the blank doent is just about 6.2 MB for the internal content and, in your example, 5.2 MB for the window. When you make the first new doent of a given color mode, you are creating two internal doents (the startup one and the copy of it for the new doc), and one window. The memory required for the window will vary depending on how big your window is in pixels.

    The base memory footprint can be reduced by moving plugins that you never use out of the Plug-ins folder. As mentioned previously, the memory required for blank doents can be reduced by cleaning house on the Startup files, and it will also make opening them faster. (They tend to come with a lot of stuff in the palettes because marketing thinks it looks more enticing to have full palettes than bare ones. It's like the way real estate agents "stage" houses before showing them by filling them with rented furniture and accessories. But how much of that default palette stuff do you use?)
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Teri...makes perfect sense.

    Maybe your marketing and/or developers can add an option for the next version: At the initial installation screen, give the user a choice:

    o Install with default palettes (color, symbols, brushes, etc.)
    o Install with minimal palettes (the most common/basic)
    o Install with custom palettes (pick list appears on this one)

    Or something like that. I know a lot of the users in my workgroup are complaining about the sluggishness of Illustrator (not just CS2) and this might help alleviate the moans and groans if we can get them all configured with minimal extras at the initial install.

    We have 60 CS2 licenses here and I hate having to go to each machine and make constant tweaks manually. Unfortunately most of them are so right-brained that they don't follow instructions in an email. :-(
    janericster@hotmail.com Guest

  6. #6

    Unfortunately most of them are so right-brained that they don't follow
    instructions in an email.

    Well, obviously you need to make instructions with pictures of each step. :)

    Seriously, I've noticed that here on these boards. A step-by-step with pictures gets understood much more quickly than the exact same steps with words only, even though I think my wording tends to be very clear and explicit.
    Teri Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for your replies. Well, so it seems that I've got some particular, strange problem at hand. I'm using default settings for everything (after fresh reinstall), but memory usage has been outrageous nevertheless. Easily tops 400M just by opening and closing new files a couple of times. This is driving me nuts! :(
    Giles_Humphrey@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Interesting... I have noticed that most of the Adobe apps are memory hogs. I have no idea why or can I offer a solution but, has anyone ever sat at their desk at the end of the day in a rush and experienced what seems to be an eon for CS2 to shut down? I sit there cursing and wondering why... why in this day and age can it take sooooo... *&$# long for a modern app to close? No other apps I can think of take the amount of time CS2 does. The thing is... it gets even worse when you consider I am usually running Photoshop and Framemaker at the same time as well as crunching things into Acrobat as well. I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy my next PC from NASA in hopes I can get one to handle Adobe apps!
    Ronald_Cowell@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Some updates. I continued the repeated open/close new file process described earlier, and observed this weird thing. If the file concerned is A4 portrait (CMYK/RGB), memory usage quickly maxes out at about 175M. But if it's landscape, memory usage continues to grow monstrously until Illustrator warns me my computer is low on memory. I totally don't get what might have resulted in such a difference.

    Also, when I close a new, unmodified lanscape file, Illustrator would ask me if I want to save the changes, but when I close a new portrait, it closes without prompting. Not a big issue here, but it's just kinda weird as well.
    Giles_Humphrey@adobeforums.com Guest