Professional Web Applications Themes

Why is MT-NewsWatcher for OS X so slow? - Mac Applications & Software

Every newsreader I've used in the past, Outlook Express on Windows, Mozilla on more than one platform, and Halime on OS X, have opened newsgroups quickly once they have been visited once. They cache headers and only download the new ones. However, MT-NewsWatcher seems (I guess) to download every single header from a newsgroup every time I go there, which means that newsgroups carrying a lot of articles can take *ages* to open. Why does it take so long compared to other newsreaders, and how can I make it go faster?...

  1. #1

    Default Why is MT-NewsWatcher for OS X so slow?

    Every newsreader I've used in the past, Outlook Express on Windows,
    Mozilla on more than one platform, and Halime on OS X, have opened
    newsgroups quickly once they have been visited once. They cache headers
    and only download the new ones.

    However, MT-NewsWatcher seems (I guess) to download every single header
    from a newsgroup every time I go there, which means that newsgroups
    carrying a lot of articles can take *ages* to open.

    Why does it take so long compared to other newsreaders, and how can I
    make it go faster?
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why is MT-NewsWatcher for OS X so slow?

    In article <nildram.net>,
    David Glover <org> wrote:

    It doesn't.

    Actually learn how to use it? Nay, too dificult when whinning is so easy.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  3. #3

    In article <5oI9b.26432$tampabay.rr.com>,
    Enough <com> wrote:

    Ah, thank you, nice to learn that the problem is all in my head.

    What do you think I'm trying to do? If I didn't want to learn I wouldn't
    have asked.
    Mwongozi Guest

  4. #4

    In article <nildram.net>,
    David Glover <org> wrote:

    Have you subscribed to the newsgroups you follow regularly?

    --
    AF
    Alice Guest

  5. #5

    In article <panix.com>,
    Alice Faber <com> wrote:

    Yes of course. The problem is, when I double-click a newsgroup to open
    it up, it says "Getting XOVER headers", which takes a while, before the
    newsgroup opens.

    I tried turning off the "Use XOVER command" option, but if anything that
    made it slower.

    No other newsreader I've ever used has done that.
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <nildram.net>,
    David Glover <org> wrote:

    I have exactly the same problem then I switched to another ISP
    (news.individual.net) for newsgroups and the problem was gone!
    --

    gr,
    Antonio

  7. #7

    In article <nildram.net>,
    David Glover <org> wrote:

    > Yes of course. The problem is, when I double-click a newsgroup to open
    > it up, it says "Getting XOVER headers", which takes a while, before the
    > newsgroup opens.
    >
    > I tried turning off the "Use XOVER command" option, but if anything that
    > made it slower.
    >
    > No other newsreader I've ever used has done that.[/ref]

    I'm using MTnewswatcher v3.2, I don't have any slowup like you discribe.

    It's quick for me.

    Dale J.

    --

    Dale Guest

  8. #8

    In article <rdc-kc.rr.com>,
    "Dale J. " <com> wrote:

    > > Yes of course. The problem is, when I double-click a newsgroup to open
    > > it up, it says "Getting XOVER headers", which takes a while, before the
    > > newsgroup opens.
    > >
    > > I tried turning off the "Use XOVER command" option, but if anything that
    > > made it slower.
    > >
    > > No other newsreader I've ever used has done that.[/ref]
    >

    > I'm using MTnewswatcher v3.2, I don't have any slowup like you discribe.
    >
    > It's quick for me.
    >
    > Dale J.[/ref]

    Quick for me as well.

    Steve
    Steve Guest

  9. #9

    In article <nildram.net>,
    Mwongozi <net> wrote:

    Nah, that's just "Enough". Killfile him and your life will be better.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard Guest

  10. #10

    David Glover <org> wrote:

    The two most likely problems are (a) you aren't accessing the groups
    via a subscribed group list window, and (b) you have some filtering
    that requires a non-standard header and your server takes forever to
    provide such.

    --
    J.B. Moreno
    J.B. Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chris Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    In article <170920032252528071%com>,
    "J.B. Moreno" <com> wrote:

    > The two most likely problems are (a) you aren't accessing the groups
    > via a subscribed group list window, and (b) you have some filtering
    > that requires a non-standard header and your server takes forever to
    > provide such.[/ref]

    I have noticed that some Newsgroups do open up slower than others
    (*much* slower in some cases). Since their seems to be no rhym or
    reason to this, I have been attributing it to the servers and their
    traffic flow or a bottleneck at my ISPs News Server drop and not my
    system...
    I have tried deleting groups from my list and then adding them again
    etc, but it seems to make no difference.

    Oh, using MT NW 3.3 btw....
    --
    Slartibartfast
    Winner of the prestigious "Fijords" award;

  13. #13

    One thing I have noticed is that groups in which I have some read and
    some unread messages interspersed open much more slowly in MTNW than
    ones in which I'm only reading the newest ones. I just saw this
    yesterday, as I set up a newsserver. The first time loading a big
    binaries group it come up pretty fast. After marking some as read and
    reloading (there were more messages than would be loaded in a single
    session at my prefs) the second and subsequent times were much slower.

    Dave Guest

  14. #14

    > In article <nildram.net>, [/ref]

    I think the original poster has pointed to something real. I use MT NW
    3.3b1 under OS X 10.2.6 on a Quicksilver G4 867 SP with 1 GB of RAM and
    a good cable modem service. I use usenetserver.com, which offers quite
    fast downloads, so one would expect headers to load as quickly as
    possible as well. I read large binary groups like
    alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks, loading 10,000 headers at a time, and it
    often takes twenty minutes to load these headers. I've noticed that if I
    delete prefs and set up a new group window, the time goes down
    drastically. My guess, strictly as a user, is that there is something
    keeping track of killed threads which gets too complex in these large,
    active groups and NW has trouble keeping track of them above a certain
    point. It would be awfully nice to have some "Purge" button` that would
    clean out the relevant file without having to restore the entire Group
    list.

    BTW, I ALWAYS get a message about the article cache being corrupted and
    purged, but the purging doesn't stop it from being corrupted the next
    time. This doesn't matter much, just an extra OK button to press when
    starting up, but it's irritating. This program is terrific, but could
    really use some clean-up. It's been at b1 for an awfully long time. I
    know it is done out of the goodness of the developer's heart, and I'm
    grateful, but wistful.

    George Fowler

    George Guest

  15. #15

    In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Dave Slusher <com> wrote:

    Read the part about group list fragmentation.

    <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/FetchingSpeed.html>

    [Gasp, yes, smfr is reading news]

    Simon

    --
    Simon Fraser <mailto:org> <http://www.smfr.org/>
    (Professional driver on closed road)

  16. #16

    In article <upenn.edu>,
    Simon Fraser <org> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I figured it was something like that, althought I hadn't previously read
    the doc. I was floating it out there as a reason why the original poster
    might be seeing slower responses.

    Dave Guest

  17. #17

    In article <upenn.edu>,
    Simon Fraser <org> wrote:

    :> In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    :> Dave Slusher <com> wrote:
    :>
    :> > One thing I have noticed is that groups in which I have some read and
    :> > some unread messages interspersed open much more slowly in MTNW than
    :> > ones in which I'm only reading the newest ones. I just saw this
    :> > yesterday, as I set up a newsserver. The first time loading a big
    :> > binaries group it come up pretty fast. After marking some as read and
    :> > reloading (there were more messages than would be loaded in a single
    :> > session at my prefs) the second and subsequent times were much slower.
    :>
    :> Read the part about group list fragmentation.
    :>
    :> <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/docs/FetchingSpeed.html>
    :>
    :> [Gasp, yes, smfr is reading news]
    :>
    :> Simon

    Now if we can only hope you can find some time to finish off 3.3, since
    it's been in beta for soooooooo long now.

    Hopefully,
    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson