Professional Web Applications Themes

Why is my iBook booting on its own? - Mac Portable

In <1fzqoab.kce413wyhoqN%alandarkroom.minus.com> A Lee wrote: > White iBook,700mhz,dual USB, OS10.2.6. > > Three times this week, I have got home, went to turn on my iBook,and > it was already on. I open it up, touch the power button, then it turns > off. Perhaps it was never off, but just sleeping. If the lid pops open even slightly a sleeping iBook will wake. To prevent this, don't put it to sleep; shut it all the way down. I do this while travelling to prevent the iBook from waking up while being jostled around in my backpack. m. -- matt ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Why is my iBook booting on its own?

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  2. #2

    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > In <1fzqoab.kce413wyhoqN%alandarkroom.minus.com> A Lee wrote:
    > > White iBook,700mhz,dual USB, OS10.2.6.
    > >
    > > Three times this week, I have got home, went to turn on my iBook,and
    > > it was already on. I open it up, touch the power button, then it turns
    > > off.
    >
    > Perhaps it was never off, but just sleeping. If the lid pops open even
    > slightly a sleeping iBook will wake. To prevent this, don't put it to
    > sleep; shut it all the way down. I do this while travelling to prevent
    > the iBook from waking up while being jostled around in my backpack. m.
    I could understand not shutting it down once, but not 3 days out of 4.
    I'm a bit worried that a circuit board is playing up, or maybe there is
    some software causing it to boot?
    Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
    [url]http://www.dvatc.co.uk[/url] - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

  3. #3

    In <1fzqvl8.l8flltg30g8wN%alandarkroom.minus.com> A Lee wrote:
    > matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In <1fzqoab.kce413wyhoqN%alandarkroom.minus.com> A Lee wrote:
    >> > White iBook,700mhz,dual USB, OS10.2.6.
    >> >
    >> > Three times this week, I have got home, went to turn on my iBook,
    >> > and it was already on. I open it up, touch the power button, then
    >> > it turns off.
    >>
    >> Perhaps it was never off, but just sleeping. If the lid pops open
    >> even slightly a sleeping iBook will wake. To prevent this, don't put
    >> it to sleep; shut it all the way down. I do this while travelling to
    >> prevent the iBook from waking up while being jostled around in my
    >> backpack. m.
    >
    > I could understand not shutting it down once, but not 3 days out of 4.
    > I'm a bit worried that a circuit board is playing up, or maybe there
    > is some software causing it to boot?
    We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. "Boot" means the computer
    starts up from a dead total power-off. No software could cause that
    because nothing is running - the computer is off. The only thing that
    can boot the computer is the physical power switch; you'd need to press
    it, or short it, to boot the computer.

    That is why I suggested that you are *not* booting; the computer was
    asleep, and it's merely awakening, which is a totally different matter.

    Until you work out in your own mind which it is, it's hard to help you.
    m.

  4. #4

    In article <20030815133715769-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. "Boot" means the computer
    > starts up from a dead total power-off. No software could cause that
    > because nothing is running - the computer is off. The only thing that
    > can boot the computer is the physical power switch; you'd need to press
    > it, or short it, to boot the computer.
    Software can cause the computer to boot, if it's told the power
    management unit to startup. That's how the option to reboot after a
    power failure works and the auto power on option that OS 9 had (and OS
    X doesn't?).

    --
    Barry
    [email]Barrynetbox.com[/email] <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  5. #5

    Barry Twycross <barrynetbox.com> wrote:
    > In article <20030815133715769-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    > <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    >
    > > We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. "Boot" means the computer
    > > starts up from a dead total power-off. No software could cause that
    > > because nothing is running - the computer is off. The only thing that
    > > can boot the computer is the physical power switch; you'd need to press
    > > it, or short it, to boot the computer.
    >
    > Software can cause the computer to boot, if it's told the power
    > management unit to startup. That's how the option to reboot after a
    > power failure works and the auto power on option that OS 9 had (and OS
    > X doesn't?).
    Thats what I was getting at.I had turned it off in the morning, put it
    away, then when I had got back it was on.
    It happened 3 times last week, but hasnt happened since.
    I was worried, as the comp. was very hot underneath the first time it
    happened,so i thought there must be a faulty circuit in it somewhere,
    but it hasnt happened since, so maybe it was 'just one of those things'!
    Ta
    Alan.

  6. #6

    In <180820032325231049%barrynetbox.com> Barry Twycross wrote:
    > In article <20030815133715769-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>, matt
    > neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    >
    >> We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. "Boot" means the computer
    >> starts up from a dead total power-off. No software could cause that
    >> because nothing is running - the computer is off. The only thing that
    >> can boot the computer is the physical power switch; you'd need to
    >> press it, or short it, to boot the computer.
    >
    > Software can cause the computer to boot, if it's told the power
    > management unit to startup. That's how the option to reboot after a
    > power failure works and the auto power on option that OS 9 had (and OS
    > X doesn't?).
    That software configures the power management unit, but the power
    management unit is still what causes the boot. That's hardware. However,
    it's also software in the sense that things can go wrong with the PMU.
    This is why in a situation like this the first thing to do is reset the
    PMU.

    I had a good example of what you're talking just yesterday. My battery
    wasn't charging, so I reset the PMU. As soon as I plugged the power cord
    into the computer, it started up - without my pressing the power button (
    and even though the lid was closed).

    This is an old-ish computer and gets very unhappy if the power cord is
    plugged into it but there is no power. So perhaps a power glitch and/or
    a PMU problem were behind the OP's startup behavior. m.