Professional Web Applications Themes

Why is Sun releasing mozilla 1.2.1 now? - Sun Solaris

Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote: > Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86 > in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url]. > From the Q&A section: > Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla? > A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest > features on a more timely basis. > Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :) > It sux. This FAQ must be out of date or something. One of the three Mozilla 1.4/sparc packages available from mozilla.org says in the readme file that that ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Why is Sun releasing mozilla 1.2.1 now?

    Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    > Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    > in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url].
    > From the Q&A section:
    > Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    > A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    > features on a more timely basis.
    > Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :)
    > It sux.
    This FAQ must be out of date or something. One of the three Mozilla
    1.4/sparc packages available from mozilla.org says in the readme file
    that that build is provided and supported (through regular sunsolve
    channels) by Sun.

    --
    Akop Pogosian

    This space has been accidentally left blank.
    Akop Pogosian Guest

  2. #2

    On 31 Jul 2003 22:39:54 GMT The Guru Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    >Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    >in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url].
    >From the Q&A section:
    >Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    >A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    >features on a more timely basis.
    >Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :)
    >It sux.
    >/wfr
    >Fredrik
    >--
    >Fredrik Lundholm
    >dol ce.chalmers.se
    I recommend Mozilla FireBird, there are also precompiled versions
    available for Sparc. It is fast, and has alot of great features.
    This is the browser above all browsers. imnsho..

    About your question, I have no idea..

    --
    Regards Luke Th. Bullock (Lucc) [ [url]http://alge.anart.no/[/url] ]
    Luke Th. Bullock Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bgcfd7$1tf6$1agate.berkeley.edu>,
    Akop Pogosian <akopps+usenetocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
    >Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    >
    >> Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    >> Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    >
    >> A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    >> features on a more timely basis.
    >This FAQ must be out of date or something. One of the three Mozilla
    No, actually this is from the Sun Intro published 29:th of July!!!
    Lackluster.

    What Sun should make sure exists for Solaris:
    Latest Mozilla/Netscape.
    usable Flash-player.
    Latest Acroread.

    /wfr
    Fredrik
    --
    Fredrik Lundholm
    dol ce.chalmers.se

    Fredrik Lundholm Guest

  4. #4

    "Luke Th. Bullock" <nospam|luccalge.anart.no> writes:

    > I recommend Mozilla FireBird, there are also precompiled versions
    > available for Sparc. It is fast, and has alot of great features.
    > This is the browser above all browsers. imnsho..
    One of the things I don't understand is why Firebird
    needs to be so different; the user interfaces is inconveniently
    different (Preferences are somewhere else, for starters).

    (I won't run firebird until it can get rid of animated gifs)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.
    Casper H.S. Dik Guest

  5. #5

    [email]dolce.chalmers.se[/email] (Fredrik Lundholm) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    |in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url].
    |From the Q&A section:
    |
    |Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    |
    |A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    |features on a more timely basis.
    |
    |Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :)

    Because it took time to get the Mozilla team staffed up and running and
    get everything in place to do Mozilla releases, and that work was done
    with Mozilla 1.2.1. Now that everything is in place, they hope to get
    future releases out a bit faster, though Sun's QA & pre-release testing
    processes will still take some time.

    If you place the latest and greatest version at a higher priority than
    Sun QA & support, you can always go directly to [url]www.mozilla.org[/url].

    Alan Coopersmith [email]alancalum.calberkeley.org[/email]
    [url]http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/[/url] aka: [email]Alan.CoopersmithSun.COM[/email]
    Alan Coopersmith Guest

  6. #6

    On 01 Aug 2003 13:41:06 GMT, [email]Casper.DikSun.COM[/email] wrote:
    >One of the things I don't understand is why Firebird
    >needs to be so different; ...
    Because the average "free" coder wants everything they work on to be
    "new and interesting"

    --
    [url]http://www.blastwave.org/[/url] for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

  7. #7

    Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    > In article <bgcfd7$1tf6$1agate.berkeley.edu>,
    > Akop Pogosian <akopps+usenetocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
    >>Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    >>> Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    >>
    >>> A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    >>> features on a more timely basis.
    >>This FAQ must be out of date or something. One of the three Mozilla
    > No, actually this is from the Sun Intro published 29:th of July!!!
    > Lackluster.
    Sorry, my information was wrong. It looks like Sun officially supports
    only version 1.2.1 as of right now..
    > What Sun should make sure exists for Solaris:
    > Latest Mozilla/Netscape.
    > usable Flash-player.
    > Latest Acroread.
    By the way, what's up with Flash-player? Is there going to be a
    version 6 for Solaris?

  8. #8

    HI,

    Akop Pogosian wrote:
    > Fredrik Lundholm <dolce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <bgcfd7$1tf6$1agate.berkeley.edu>,
    >>Akop Pogosian <akopps+usenetocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

    >>>This FAQ must be out of date or something. One of the three Mozilla
    >

    >>No, actually this is from the Sun Intro published 29:th of July!!!
    >>Lackluster.
    >

    > Sorry, my information was wrong. It looks like Sun officially supports
    > only version 1.2.1 as of right now..
    >

    >>What Sun should make sure exists for Solaris:
    >>Latest Mozilla/Netscape.
    >>usable Flash-player.
    >>Latest Acroread.
    >

    > By the way, what's up with Flash-player? Is there going to be a
    > version 6 for Solaris?

    Last time(a couple of months ago) I read on [url]www.Macromedia.com[/url]
    discussion page a
    Macromedia guy say that SUN and Macromedia had becomme nice friends for
    some server software they developed and that a new flash player(6) could
    .... become available maybe in the future.

    But I have not seen anything yet so (:

    /Michael

    Michael Laajanen Guest

  9. #9

    HI,

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > [email]dolce.chalmers.se[/email] (Fredrik Lundholm) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    > |Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    > |in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url].
    > |From the Q&A section:
    > |
    > |Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    > |
    > |A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    > |features on a more timely basis.
    > |
    > |Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :)
    >
    > Because it took time to get the Mozilla team staffed up and running and
    > get everything in place to do Mozilla releases, and that work was done
    > with Mozilla 1.2.1. Now that everything is in place, they hope to get
    > future releases out a bit faster, though Sun's QA & pre-release testing
    > processes will still take some time.
    >
    > If you place the latest and greatest version at a higher priority than
    > Sun QA & support, you can always go directly to [url]www.mozilla.org[/url].

    Alan, do you know why <CTRL><+> works but not <CTRL><-> on the numeric
    keyboard, on the main keyboard it works fine?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen Guest

  10. #10

    Michael Laajanen <michael_laajanen> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |Alan, do you know why <CTRL><+> works but not <CTRL><-> on the numeric
    |keyboard, on the main keyboard it works fine?

    No idea.

  11. #11

    Alan Coopersmith <alancalum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message news:<bge24p$2shb$3agate.berkeley.edu>...
    > [email]dolce.chalmers.se[/email] (Fredrik Lundholm) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    > |Sun is announcing availability of mozilla 1.2.1 for solaris SPARC/x86
    > |in a week from [url]http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/browser/[/url].
    > |From the Q&A section:
    > |
    > |Q: Why is Sun moving from the Netscape browser to Mozilla?
    > |
    > |A2: Faster time to market - provides the ability to deliver the latest
    > |features on a more timely basis.
    > |
    > |Well, why aren't we seing a Mozilla 1.4 release then?? :)
    >
    > Because it took time to get the Mozilla team staffed up and running and
    > get everything in place to do Mozilla releases, and that work was done
    > with Mozilla 1.2.1. Now that everything is in place, they hope to get
    > future releases out a bit faster, though Sun's QA & pre-release testing
    > processes will still take some time.
    >
    > If you place the latest and greatest version at a higher priority than
    > Sun QA & support, you can always go directly to [url]www.mozilla.org[/url].
    I don't know. How can you publicly quantify the difference between
    Sun's QA & support for Mozilla 1.2.1 and Mozilla's QA and support
    for 1.4? I know, I know Sun will fix the bugs in phone support
    etc etc. But what does that mean when compared to Mozilla 1.4
    tree. The mozilla team works on fixing bugs in the latest
    version and backporting the fixes in decending releases,
    much like Solaris bugs are handled. I take it Sun's Mozilla
    release requires that all bugs be promoted to the newer
    release along with any new features to Mozilla's 1.4 tree. Same
    goes with the Sun Gnome releases. You know what's fasinating
    about this is Sun dosn't have this open model of development
    with the OpenOffice/StarOffice or the Java distributions.
    In those cases that backport. In the case of the KDE and/or
    Companion CD releases Sun manages to get the release cycles
    matched to the close 3 month Maintaince Update cycle which
    closely matches the opensource world trees. The question
    remains how the QA/Support cycle will be normalized to
    the current Mozilla (and/or Gnome) release cycles that included
    the majic preception of quality and support that all other
    releases of Sun's products enjoy including other opensource
    projects. If the major release will be a couple of major revisions
    behind in the name or quality or features than are these
    attributes noticable? If Sun would release Mozilla 1.4 or Gnome
    2.2 today would anyone notice the impact?

    ---Bob
    Bob Palowoda Guest