Programs-->Macromedia-->Dreamweaver MX rightclick on dreamweaver.exe and choose Properties. What's the full version number? it's in the format of 6.x.xxxx What operating system? Is the "local site folder" really local inside your computer, or is it located on a network drive? If you already answered those questions three months ago, i don't have ready access to the old posts. Could you please repeat the info? [quote] > It is 3 months later, I am still having this problem... even 4 pages takes > either 4 minutes to update a simple menu, or simply stops responding. I have > nothing else running. Did anyone find out the solution? > > >[/quote] -- Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Alan Ames [ip] => blu@formdude.co [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Why is 'Update Pages' sooooooooo SLOW!!! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Why is 'Update Pages' sooooooooo SLOW!!! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

It is 3 months later, I am still having this problem... even 4 pages takes either 4 minutes to update a simple menu, or simply stops responding. I have nothing else running. Did anyone find out the solution?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Re:Why is 'Update Pages' sooooooooo SLOW!!!

    indrani webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why is 'Update Pages' sooooooooo SLOW!!!

    What exact version of Dreamweaver?

    if on windows- find the dreamweaver.exe file that's probably in
    C-->Programs-->Macromedia-->Dreamweaver MX

    rightclick on dreamweaver.exe and choose Properties.

    What's the full version number?
    it's in the format of 6.x.x

    What operating system?

    Is the "local site folder" really local inside your computer, or is it
    located on a network drive?

    If you already answered those questions three months ago, i don't have ready
    access to the old posts. Could you please repeat the info?

    > It is 3 months later, I am still having this problem... even 4 pages takes
    > either 4 minutes to update a simple menu, or simply stops responding. I have
    > nothing else running. Did anyone find out the solution?

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  3. #3

    Alan,

    My version is 6.1.1842.0 (I installed update DMX 6.1)

    What operating system?
    WinXP Pro

    Is the "local site folder" really local inside your computer, or is it
    located on a network drive? Yes, located on local drive.

    Thank you

    indrani webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    I had a similar problem when the cache wasn't being created properly on a site.

    I assume that you got site cache enabled?

    Do you get any error message saying that for whatever reason DW can't create the site cache?

    If either apply then DW takes ages to update files from templates or LIbrary Objects as it has to check every file to see if it uses the object or the template.

    Jack Harry Bill webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, I have recreated the site cache several times... they suggested that in other areas in the forums. No luck... it is doing this on 2 different systems. I may go back to 6.0 and see if that solves the problem. Even saving a file a template for the first time takes 4-6 minutes.

    Any more help is appreciated. Thanks.

    indrani webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    indrani:

    Sorry if I am repeating questions already asked. Are your local files
    actually on a network shared drive?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "indrani" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I have recreated the site cache several times... they suggested that
    in other areas in the forums. No luck... it is doing this on 2 different
    systems. I may go back to 6.0 and see if that solves the problem. Even
    saving a file a template for the first time takes 4-6 minutes.

    > Any more help is appreciated. Thanks.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    indrani:

    I'm just trying to understand why some people experience this slowdown and I
    (and others here) do not. Having local files on a network shared drive
    would be one reason....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > My local files or on my local C: drive.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    Murray:

    Somewhere in the forum someone was talking about a "memory leak".. I didn't notice anything like that when looking at the processes, but I did notice that my CPU usage will go up from 4 % or sth to 99%. XP will report DMX stopped responding, but if you keep waiting, it eventually get's thru.

    Thanks for checking... it is a pain to work like this. -Indrani
    P.S. I have an AMD Athlon Processor, 1.21 GHZ, 1GB Ram

    indrani webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    Indrani:

    The really frustrating thing is that this seems to plague some, but not all
    users of the program. There are times when DMX is slow for me - sometimes
    painfully so. But in general I work with it all day, every day, and do not
    experience these continuously. I am on W2KPro and WXPPro, neither of which
    have serious slow-down issues.

    There must be a system component in there somewhere....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  10. #10

    Murray:

    Good news, at least for my problem, and right now with templates specifically.... When you just go and command to recreate the cache, there is no difference. But, when you switch from sites view to asset view, and it starts recreating cache, I usually tell it to stop, since that is the option I get: it is safe to stop if you haven't changed anything outside DW. I now let it continue though, and it fixed the slowness. I also figured out, it gets slow when I change between sites... so if I siwtch from site A to site B, everything is still OK, but go back to site A, and it is slooooow... that is when that automatic recreation should not be stoppped.

    Hope this helps others.
    Indrani

    indrani webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    Indrani:

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Murray:
    >
    > Good news, at least for my problem, and right now with templates
    specifically.... When you just go and command to recreate the cache, there
    is no difference. But, when you switch from sites view to asset view, and
    it starts recreating cache, I usually tell it to stop, since that is the
    option I get: it is safe to stop if you haven't changed anything outside
    DW. I now let it continue though, and it fixed the slowness. I also figured
    out, it gets slow when I change between sites... so if I siwtch from site A
    to site B, everything is still OK, but go back to site A, and it is
    slooooow... that is when that automatic recreation should not be stoppped.

    > Hope this helps others.
    > Indrani

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  12. #12

    Murray,

    I will try this solution. I'm on OSX and the more I work with DW 6.1, the more I realize that it has lowered my productivity by about half (there are sooo many issues and workarounds to get a grip on). I realize the Library is UNUSABLE. Updating Library items is just a bloody joke, so I have dropped them completely and resorted to templates which seem to update with the speed one would expect. I am so tierd of spending half my day continually on MM forums trying to trouble shoot MX on OSX. But thank you for being around here on the DW forum. Your help has saved me many times.

    Peter

    schmeete webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  13. #13

    Peter:

    I am sorry you are experiencing such problems. For what it's worth, I use
    DMX on OSX1.5 and do not experience these problems....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "schmeete" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Murray,
    >
    > I will try this solution. I'm on OSX and the more I work with DW 6.1, the
    more I realize that it has lowered my productivity by about half (there are
    sooo many issues and workarounds to get a grip on). I realize the Library is
    UNUSABLE. Updating Library items is just a bloody joke, so I have dropped
    them completely and resorted to templates which seem to update with the
    speed one would expect. I am so tierd of spending half my day continually on
    MM forums trying to trouble shoot MX on OSX. But thank you for being around
    here on the DW forum. Your help has saved me many times.

    > Peter

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  14. #14

    "schmeete" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Murray,
    >
    > I will try this solution. I'm on OSX and the more I work with DW 6.1,
    the more I realize that it has lowered my productivity by about half
    (there are sooo many issues and workarounds to get a grip on). I realize
    the Library is UNUSABLE. Updating Library items is just a bloody joke,
    so I have dropped them completely and resorted to templates which seem
    to update with the speed one would expect. I am so tierd of spending
    half my day continually on MM forums trying to trouble shoot MX on OSX.
    But thank you for being around here on the DW forum. Your help has saved
    me many times.

    Peter,

    You probably know this, but some don't, so I post this anyway:
    MacOSX need to be maintained on a daily basis. The least you have to do
    is to run a script that'll remove the daily dose of junk files created
    when using the OS. Then another on a weekly and monthly respectively. If
    you work a lot with the machine, run these script more often.
    You might also want to delete cached files, update permissions and
    re-prebind you files.
    All this and a lot more is done with an excellent (and free) utility
    called "tail" available at [url]www.versiontracker.com[/url]. Find the "Pilot"
    tab and run the maintenamce scripts from there. If you haven't done this
    before, it'll speed up the general MacOSX performance quite a lot.

    Another thing that's probably not related at all, is that the window
    shadows created by OSX are memory and CPU hogs. If you can live without
    the shadows (can sometimes make it hard to see where one window ends and
    another starts if you have several open on top of each other), go here
    and get the ShadowKiller: [url]http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/[/url]

    Cheers,

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  15. #15

    Peter:

    So get busy, you knucklehead! 8)

    I wasn't even remotely suggesting that you downgrade! 8) HORRORS!

    And I am sorry that you are on this bleeding edge....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Murray,
    >
    > My MDD came with 10.2.1 so unfortunately downgrading is not an option,
    especially since many of the better optimized applications I also work with
    require 10.2 and up to assure proper functionality. I will therefore hobble
    along until all parties of concern iron out their issues.

    > I think what is really happening is that professionals have started to
    finally switch over to OSX, in hopes that most problems have been solved,
    "NOT" and unfortunately the real MX issues that MM needs for feedback to
    fix, are really only starting to amass on the Mac OSX platform now. I
    realize MM cannot fix everything but I am sure they realize their work on MX
    for OSX is not competitive in terms of usability when compared to some of
    the better OSX applications. When I see MX run on a 800 mHz Pentium I just
    basically feel like crying when I compare it to my situation. Anyways enough
    complaining.... I got work to do

    > Peter

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  16. #16

    Dan,

    thanx yes I could use a tail right about now..........
    But seriously thanx I have it but dont use it daily. Perhaps I will start doing this in the morning while I get my coffee.

    Murray,

    Yer right about knicklehead, at least I got a smile on my face from you guys...

    See ya around ...

  17. #17

    It's knucklehead, you knicklehead! 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    > Murray,
    >
    > Yer right about knicklehead, at least I got a smile on my face from you
    guys...

    > See ya around ...
    >
    > Peter

    Murray *TMM* Guest