Professional Web Applications Themes

Why Macromedia s - Macromedia Fireworks

I'm a Mac user and I'm appalled by the crap that Macromedia is passing for respectable software nowadays. I use Fireworks almost daily and I get ed off every time I do. The last good Fireworks for Mac was Version 2 and I wish I could still use that one but it won't open any version 3+ doents. I'm sure you'd like an example of the crap that is Macromedia Fireworks MX on the Mac (And NO I WON'T UPGRADE TO MX 2004 FOR BUG FIXES) In Fireworks MX on Mac OS X you cannot copy and paste text out ...

  1. #1

    Default Why Macromedia s

    I'm a Mac user and I'm appalled by the crap that Macromedia is passing for respectable software nowadays. I use Fireworks almost daily and I get ed off every time I do. The last good Fireworks for Mac was Version 2 and I wish I could still use that one but it won't open any version 3+ doents. I'm sure you'd like an example of the crap that is Macromedia Fireworks MX on the Mac (And NO I WON'T UPGRADE TO MX 2004 FOR BUG FIXES) In Fireworks MX on Mac OS X you cannot copy and paste text out of a doent. When you copy it, Fireworks converts it to an image so you can't paste it into any text editors.

    I've got lots and lots of other examples but I want to hear what other people have found.

    Also, PC users, I've not used Fireworks on a PC, do you guys have any blatant bugs as well?

    Sincerely,

    F-ing Macromedia

    FingMacromedia Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why Macromedia s

    I'm on a PC (Win2K) and FW MX was pretty stable. I had no real issues with
    the software, and believe me, I am not running a powerhouse system by
    today's standards <grin>. As an FYI, I've been using FW since V 1.

    MX 04 had (has) some issues, several of which were addressed in the patch
    that MM made available, but from what I've read here, it seems that 04 was
    more stable overall on the PC platform, when compared to the Mac, even on
    first release.

    I teach at a local community college and they've been running the MX Suite
    for a while - I have not heard of any issues. Doesn't mean there aren't any,
    though.

    I don't think MM s, but I do think they rushed things out the door too
    fast, for MX 04. Perhaps to keep pace with Adobe's release of CS. Who knows?

    What I do know is they are paying for that haste.

    HTH

    "FingMacromedia" <com> wrote in message
    respectable software nowadays. I use Fireworks almost daily and I get
    ed off every time I do. The last good Fireworks for Mac was Version 2
    and I wish I could still use that one but it won't open any version 3+
    doents. I'm sure you'd like an example of the crap that is Macromedia
    Fireworks MX on the Mac (And NO I WON'T UPGRADE TO MX 2004 FOR BUG FIXES) In
    Fireworks MX on Mac OS X you cannot copy and paste text out of a doent.
    When you copy it, Fireworks converts it to an image so you can't paste it
    into any text editors.
    people have found.
    blatant bugs as well?

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    The question is, have they learned anything in the process?

    -Amy

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    any,
    knows? [/ref]
    for
    In
    > people have found.
    > blatant bugs as well?
    >
    >[/ref]

    Amy Guest

  4. #4

    Hopefully, they learned not to crank stuff out as they did with the 04
    release. We won't know that for sure, though until the next time 'round. :-(

    "Amy Blankenship" <com> wrote in
    message news:bumf66$k09$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    with [/ref]
    patch [/ref]
    was [/ref]
    on [/ref]
    Suite
    > any, [/ref]
    too
    > knows? [/ref]
    > for [/ref]
    2 [/ref]
    Macromedia [/ref]
    FIXES) [/ref]
    doent. [/ref]
    it
    > > people have found.
    > > blatant bugs as well?
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  5. #5

    Ok so I downloaded Fireworks MX 2004 for Mac. I saw there was an update so, before I continue my lambasting I felt I owed it to Macromedia to at least try the newest version. After working with it for 5 minutes I still found these two bugs:

    1) If you zoom in and want to move an object around you cannot, as you can in any other program and in that program if you're doing a selection, move that object past that screen by going to the edge of the window and then the window will autoscroll to allow you to position the element anywhere in the doent... this has been a bug since FIREWORKS 1!!!! (This is the same on the PC)

    2) If you export an area from a doent that has no slices whatsoever, the first bug is that the slices pulldown is set to "Export Slices", I switch it to None, because there are no slices in the doent. Then I export my file. No problems of course. Now, I export another area from the doent and let's say I forget to switch the Slices pulldown to "None", which I shouldn't have to worry about in the first place because the doent has no slices, I can go in type a filename click save and everything but, no file will be saved! And I get no error telling me it wasn't saved. I've gone through a doent and exported lots of areas and then got out of fireworks only to find none of them were saved. Another bug that's been in since 3 I think. (this problem only exists on the Mac version, the PC version defaults to 'None')

    If anyone says that these are "Features" instead of bugs ... I don't know how you sleep at night. And this is after I used the program for just 5 minutes! If I spent more time on it, I know I'd find more bugs.

    Sincerely,

    F-ing Macromedia

    ps. I'm sending this to bug reports as well...again.

    FingMacromedia Guest

  6. #6

    first one isn't a bug. a bug is a part of the programme that doesn't work as
    it's supposed to, or works inconsistently/haphazardly.
    from your point of view it's full of bugs: it can't convert colours to cmyk,
    it can't work in pages, .... send it to the wishlist for MM as a FEATURE
    that you would like to see in the next - hopefully less buggy - version.
    dave :)

[...]

    David Guest

  7. #7

    OK, I tried out the Zoom issue you have. Now, bearing in mind, I'm on a PC, and at the college I'm in FW MX (Not 04). I Zoomed in so that the object went outside the doent window. If I held the Spacebar down, I could scroll around, and if I held down the CTRL key (Probably the CMD key on the Mac), The Pointer or subselection tool became active and I was able to move the object around.

    I could not get the doc window to scroll, if I tried to move the image outside of the window area, even if there was canvas area that was available. I never noticed this before, most likely cuz if I am movving stuff around, I want to see more of the canvas.

    I haven't had a chance to test for the other concerns.

    Jim Babbage
    Newmedia Services

    Extending Knowledge, Daily
    http://www.communitymx.com
    NewmediaDude Guest

  8. #8

    "Jim Babbage - CMX" <ca> wrote in message
    :-(
    A sure indication will be if they every get around to synching the
    development cycles of the products within Studio....

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Guest

  9. #9

    It'll depend on how much outsourcing they've been doing with the coding...

    "Sam Poikail" <com> wrote in message
    > :-(
    > A sure indication will be if they every get around to synching the
    > development cycles of the products within Studio....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sam
    >
    >[/ref]

    buzzard Guest

  10. #10

    first one isn't a bug. a bug is a part of the programme that doesn't work as
    it's supposed to, or works inconsistently/haphazardly.
    from your point of view it's full of bugs: it can't convert colours to cmyk,
    it can't work in pages, .... send it to the wishlist for MM as a FEATURE
    that you would like to see in the next - hopefully less buggy - version.
    dave :)

    I've sent this in to MM since Fireworks 1, and they still haven't fixed it. I'd say it's a bug because for every other tool, the page will autoscroll, but if you're trying to move an object it doesn't autoscroll.

    Sincerely,

    F-ing Macromedia

    FingMacromedia Guest

  11. #11

    I worked with macromedia products on a PC for quite a while now.
    naturally there are some bugs, but they are quite tolerable.

    but a few weeks ago I switched back again to a brand-new super-speedy mac G5 dual-processor and I must say:
    YEAH! MACROMEDIA FOR MAC OS X S!

    fireworks MX AND fireworks MX 2004 are unstable, incredibly sow, buggy all over and the most important things just don't do their job (e.g. the "export preview" in fireworks MX has no resizeable window!!! you know, you'll have to look over four versions of a picture in a 400x300 pixel box.)
    when trying out fireworks MX 2004, some issues were resolved, but (hello!) others came along (exporting symbols: I couldn't manage it to export a single button with all states, because there were menu-items greyed out that shouldn't be, etc. etc...)

    and: it's the same thing with dreamweaver. I mean: what does dreamweaver calculate on a dualProcessor machine that it takes two seconds to open a CSS with five lines of plain ASCII-text?
    why does it take one minute to syncronize a page on a mac and with the *same* project on a PC it's done in 10 seconds???
    why can't I update my external CSS-styles and why does it ask me to save, just that I found out, that all my work hasn't been saved? you know I'm working since many years on computers and I'm definetly not the dumb one.

    and: director MX the same thing: can you imagine, that director needs up to 20 seconds to save a project cast with 200 kb ?
    TWENTY SECONDS for 200 kiloBytes on a dualprocessor machine!!!
    in this time quticktime is saving a 200 MEGABYTES moviefile!

    I just wonder why all these producs are quite smart and well-functioning on windows-PCs. I can remember the times where they only ran on a mac.

    this is absolutely ridiculous. I mean all macromedia producs are faster if you run them in a virtual PC environment.

    what's up macromedia? do you want to get rid of your macintosh-customers???
    is it too much to **TEST** a program before selling it for money?

    what about extra releases for the mac?
    I don't need a new program twice a year.
    and I'm also not willing to pay a bunch of money just for bug-fixes.

    and to be clear: I'll definitly switch to other software.

    k-d-o Guest

  12. #12

    I love Fireworks, but I have to constantly save, save, save, because the program will error out, receiving a "fatal error". Then it closes. It's irritating.

    I'd love to try Mac. I hear it's so much more stable than Windows. That's what all my Mac buddies tell me, though. ;-)

    etiphany Guest

  13. #13

    > I'd love to try Mac. I hear it's so much more stable than Windows.

    The grass always seems greener on the other side :-)

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Guest

  14. #14

    In article <buvddj$o3k$macromedia.com>,
    "John Waller" <com.au> wrote:

    > The grass always seems greener on the other side :-)[/ref]

    Heh. That's true even between different Mac systems. OS X is widely
    hyped as being bulletproof...but I've found OS 9 much more stable, not
    to mention orders of magnitude faster and easier for a non-geek to
    maintain. So, I've chosen to stick with FW4, since MX2004 (which
    requires OS X) is too s-l-o-w on my old G4 to use for work. I'm not
    going to replace the most productive, crash-free computer I've ever
    owned without a good reason. Simply keeping up with the latest versions
    of software is not a good enough reason.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  15. #15

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message

    > > The grass always seems greener on the other side :-)[/ref]
    >
    > Heh. That's true even between different Mac systems. OS X is widely
    > hyped as being bulletproof...but I've found OS 9 much more stable, not
    > to mention orders of magnitude faster and easier for a non-geek to
    > maintain.[/ref]

    Very true. One of my best friends who prefers Macs still stuck with OS 9
    (although, in my opinion, it's memory managements really s <g>) on his
    G4. I, on the other hand, strongly prefer Windows and feel quite comfortable
    with XP right now (well, I felt quite comfortable with Win95 years ago) - it
    never crushed when I was doing my business. It only went to "infinite loops"
    while I was trying out my fresh new plugin code - and I must admit, it was
    only *my* fault - that is, this very code tended to go into infinite loops
    under certain cirstances, and yeah of course there was no "user break"
    request right into this code piece :( I don't know why this happens but I
    neve have user break request in the code block that may cause infinite
    looping, so the only thing I can do is three finger salute (which, I must
    admit, under XP allows me to shut down the application, while under Win95 it
    only allowed me to shut down the whole system) :(((

    And, apparently, non of us is having critical problems that may ruin our
    jobs. The only problem is that when he tries to use my computer to show me
    something, he hits "windows" key instead of "option", and, accordingly, I do
    just the opposite when trying to use his computer :-)))

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    Ilya Guest

  16. #16

    Lanny Chambers wrote:

    >>The grass always seems greener on the other side :-)[/ref][/ref]

    I don't have much experience with windows but mac os X doesn't crash
    (I've had two "kernal panics" related to a video game in two years of
    ownership). Force quitting individual applications works beautifully.
    You don't have to restart the computer. I also hear mac hardware is
    superior to windows hardware. It is way over-priced though.

    I loved os 9, and thought os X was a pain. Now I love os X. It is
    intuitive although it takes a little getting used to (I've been on macs
    since apple IIe). What is easier to maintain in os 9?

    Way slow. It's rediculous. And FW4 is much better/faster. Since when
    do I want my pencil drawings to be bitmap? I'd like the option of both.

    I'm not

    My Dad's still on 8.6 :)

    Aloosenation Guest

  17. #17

    Aloosenation wrote:

    As long as there are people who will pay the price, Apple has no
    incentive to lower it. I'm not even sure that doing so would increase
    their market share. Change is the most difficult thing for most people
    to do.

    --
    John
    John Guest

  18. #18

    In article <bv7j14$gt9$macromedia.com>,
    Aloosenation <com> wrote:

    Let's start with daily differential backups. All I do is drag everything
    to an external hard disk, and let Copy Agent do the rest--in the
    background. I get a (bootable) mirror of my current disk.

    I can see and manipulate all my files. Most of them have recognizable
    names and are found in logical, predictable places.

    It hasn't happened in years, but if the System file somehow gets
    corrupted, all I have to do is replace it with the pristine copy I
    archived right after my last upgrade, then reboot. No messy reinstall.

    Two words: NO PERMISSIONS.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/