Professional Web Applications Themes

Why we should all hope the D2X is great - Photography

I won't ever be buying one but any advance in design, image quality, or features only makes the other manufacturers try harder. I was really happy to see the Minolta come out with a body based system of image stabilization because the other camera manufacturers must now be taking good looks at that feature, especially if it sells well. Until digital took over Canon claimed the photojournalist market by dropping their lens prices to reasonable rates. Up until the 80's Nikon had owned that market and had got complacent. I am happy whenever I see new features become standard items ...

  1. #1

    Default Why we should all hope the D2X is great

    I won't ever be buying one but any advance in design, image quality,
    or features only makes the other manufacturers try harder. I was
    really happy to see the Minolta come out with a body based system of
    image stabilization because the other camera manufacturers must now be
    taking good looks at that feature, especially if it sells well. Until
    digital took over Canon claimed the photojournalist market by dropping
    their lens prices to reasonable rates. Up until the 80's Nikon had
    owned that market and had got complacent. I am happy whenever I see
    new features become standard items on cameras. I think people looking
    for failure are a little messed up.
    McLeod Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why we should all hope the D2X is great

    In article <com>,
    com says...

    Well, certainly I hope the D2X can provide some competition to Canon's
    rule of the professional market. Unfortunately, that just doesn't seem
    like it will be the case for those individuals who want low noise
    performance or full-frame imaging.

    Nor does the D2Hs seem like it will pull a significant share of the
    market from the 1D Mark II. It doesn't even look like it will retain
    the customers Nikon does have. So, a lot of hopes are pinned to the D2X
    to answer the Canon call.

    So, I would like to see Nikon compete with Canon on the high end. The
    problem is, they're not doing a very good job as far as I can tell.

    The thing is, I really, really want a full-frame 16+ megapixel camera.
    I want low noise and I don't want to pay for it. So the faster the two
    knuckleheads at the top race to get ahead of the other, the closer my
    dream comes to being a reality.
    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    McLeod wrote:

    Altogether well said.

    Looking for 'failure' is not all bad. Making it one's sole mission in life is.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    Brian Baird wrote:

    Me too. That, I agree with.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <cvj536$1t$gazeta.pl>,
    ca says...

    > Me too. That, I agree with.[/ref]

    I think you're disagreeing more with your idea of Brian than actually
    WITH Brian.

    Brian finds this hilarious when his closet conservative friend accuses
    him of all sorts of liberal treachery, even when opinions on the subject
    have not been offered.

    Ok, I'll stop referring to myself in the third person now... Or will he?
    Brian Guest

  6. #6

    This is all a bit like rooting for a team. We are all diehard fans of one
    brand or another, and win or lose we will still be diehard fans.
    Competition is good for everybody. It's just that some companies tend to
    take a wait see, while others try to be on the cutting edge. The hope is
    that everybody keeps moving forward.

    Personally, I'm very happy with my D70, and will be until something comes
    along (from Nikon) that s it away at a reasonable price. Heck, my old
    F's still take great photos. I just have to work around the fact that they
    don't focus for me, and I have to think a bit more when it comes to
    exposure.

    And I kept my old point and shoot digital until it would still point, but
    wouldn't shoot anymore. Just remember, it's not the camera but the person
    behind the lens that makes or breaks a picture.

    "McLeod" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  7. #7

    Brian Baird wrote:

    >> Me too. That, I agree with.[/ref]
    >
    > I think you're disagreeing more with your idea of Brian than actually
    > WITH Brian.
    >
    > Brian finds this hilarious when his closet conservative friend accuses
    > him of all sorts of liberal treachery, even when opinions on the
    > subject have not been offered.
    >
    > Ok, I'll stop referring to myself in the third person now... Or will
    > he?[/ref]

    How does his employer refer to him? ... them?

    Frank Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>, com
    says...

    > How does his employer refer to him? ... them?[/ref]

    "HEY! YOU!"
    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    Brian Baird wrote:

    >>Me too. That, I agree with.[/ref]
    >

    > I think you're disagreeing more with your idea of Brian than actually
    > WITH Brian.[/ref]

    Just accept the two phrases as the simple statements they are. I'll even
    upgrade the second sentence as follows:

    "I agree with Brian on this."

    How's that?

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  10. #10

    In article <cvjfpj$fup$gazeta.pl>,
    ca says... [/ref][/ref]

    > Just accept the two phrases as the simple statements they are. I'll even
    > upgrade the second sentence as follows:
    >
    > "I agree with Brian on this."
    >
    > How's that?[/ref]

    Nope.

    I demand total loyalty to my reality. Anything less would be...
    unacceptable.
    Brian Guest

  11. #11

    Sheldon wrote:
    of one
    tend to
    hope is

    Or, are we? I like my Canon but I no die-hard Canon fan. Nor am I a
    Nikon hater. And I own a nice film Minolta SLR too.

    Die-hard fanatism only produces an Apple ;-) Very nice but over-priced.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  12. #12

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message
    > of one
    > tend to
    > hope is
    >
    > Or, are we? I like my Canon but I no die-hard Canon fan. Nor am I a
    > Nikon hater. And I own a nice film Minolta SLR too.
    >
    > Die-hard fanatism only produces an Apple ;-) Very nice but over-priced.[/ref]

    Yeah, but the price of those PowerBooks G4s has been dropping precipitously
    lately. No doubt Apple is getting ready to roll out a new product line, but
    I am looking at replacing the ThinkPad. For what I spend on the G4 I can
    replace the ThinkPad and all my software and still have money left over. The
    only downside is the PowerBooks is 1.67 GHz while the ThinkPad would be 1.8
    GHz. OTOH, I would be getting a bigger hard drive, more memory, a 17" screen
    instead of a 15" screen, and a better DVD writer. Also, IBM has been making
    noises that the ThinkPad is a money loser, so getting another one could mean
    an orphaned machine. I could go Dell, but that is no cheaper. I think the
    PowerBooks is bug ugly, but I could probably live with it.

    C Guest

  13. #13

    IBM sold off the entire ThinkPad line to a company in China about a month or
    two ago...

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message
    >> of one
    >> tend to
    >> hope is
    >>
    >> Or, are we? I like my Canon but I no die-hard Canon fan. Nor am I a
    >> Nikon hater. And I own a nice film Minolta SLR too.
    >>
    >> Die-hard fanatism only produces an Apple ;-) Very nice but over-priced.[/ref]
    >
    > Yeah, but the price of those PowerBooks G4s has been dropping
    > precipitously
    > lately. No doubt Apple is getting ready to roll out a new product line,
    > but
    > I am looking at replacing the ThinkPad. For what I spend on the G4 I can
    > replace the ThinkPad and all my software and still have money left over.
    > The
    > only downside is the PowerBooks is 1.67 GHz while the ThinkPad would be
    > 1.8
    > GHz. OTOH, I would be getting a bigger hard drive, more memory, a 17"
    > screen
    > instead of a 15" screen, and a better DVD writer. Also, IBM has been
    > making
    > noises that the ThinkPad is a money loser, so getting another one could
    > mean
    > an orphaned machine. I could go Dell, but that is no cheaper. I think the
    > PowerBooks is bug ugly, but I could probably live with it.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Stealth Guest

  14. #14

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:57:30 -0700, Sheldon <net> wrote:

    There's at least one person here who just likes to make images.
    Oh sure, the equipment for doing that is cool in and of itself.
    But that's a distraction from the main point, as far as I'm
    concerned.

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  15. #15

    Default IBM and Lenovo

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:15:10 -0800, Stealth <com>
    wrote:

    It's not a done deal. The federal government has some national-
    security concerns that will have to be addressed before the sale
    can proceed.

    http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2005/02/21/daily24.html

  16. #16

    Default Laptops -- now OT (Was: Re: Why we should all hope the D2X is great)

    In article <com>,
    C J Campbell <com> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >Yeah, but the price of those PowerBooks G4s has been dropping precipitously
    >lately. No doubt Apple is getting ready to roll out a new product line, but
    >I am looking at replacing the ThinkPad. For what I spend on the G4 I can
    >replace the ThinkPad and all my software and still have money left over. The
    >only downside is the PowerBooks is 1.67 GHz while the ThinkPad would be 1.8
    >GHz.[/ref]

    However, the PowerBook is running a RISC processor, while the
    ThinkPad would be a CISC processor. CISC is better to an
    assembly-language programmer, but RISC can produce much faster code
    using the output from a compiler (which describes most programs these
    days, except for extreme die-hards), so you will probably get better
    performance from the PowerBook. Note that I am not a particular fan of
    either Microsoft's OSs or those from Apple, preferring a nice unix
    system, but from here, it looks like a wash in speeds. If I had a
    PowerBook I would probably install some unix variant like OpenBSD on it.

    Ugly doesn't bother me, as long as it does what I ask of it.

    And for the purposes of this newsgroup, I would think that the
    better DVD writer would be a win -- transfer your camera's flash cards
    (or whatever format it uses) into the computer, and then immediately
    burn a DVD-ROM of it to protect against crashes. *And* you would not be
    entrusting your photos to a machine running the target of all those
    virus-writers out there. :-) (The thought of having a particularly good
    image get infected with a virus is particularly painful, though there
    are ways around the problem once it occurs, as long as the image data is
    preserved.)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  17. #17

    DoN. Nichols <com> wrote:

    The Mac OS *is* a Unix variant like OpenBSD. (More like FreeBSD, from
    the user's perspective.)

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  18. #18

    C J Campbell wrote:
    precipitously
    line, but
    can
    over. The
    be 1.8

    Fanatism also produces the likes of Digital. Very nice, but no longer
    in production ;-)

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  19. #19

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    >The Mac OS *is* a Unix variant like OpenBSD. (More like FreeBSD, from
    >the user's perspective.)[/ref]

    However, from dealing with OS-X (the only version which is built
    on a unix underpinning) by long distance (e.g. making suggestions to a
    friend and then seeing what he turns up), certain parts of it are *very*
    difficult to get to -- with even the root account locked out (except
    perhaps when booting to single-user mode.)

    Filesystems are really strange on there -- especially with older
    disks mounted from earlier versions of Mac's previous OS.

    And the GUI designed to maintain compatibility with older
    programs, and to preserve the "Mac experience", is a major overhead,
    even compared to running X11 (the usual Unix windowing system) on the
    same hardware.

    So -- *I* would kick aside the OS-X, and install OpenBSD from
    scratch, so I had a unix that *behaved* like a unix. :-)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.