Professional Web Applications Themes

Why wouldn't he sell me a G5??? - Mac Applications & Software

I was in a Mac store yesterday, investigating the possibility of buying a new Mac, and something happened that gave me pause. I was wondering what everybody's take on it was. I asked the salesman about G5 Macs, because my nephew -- who had done a lot of research before choosing a new Mac for his church, and who I trust to know his stuff -- advised me against getting an iMac. I had actually had mixed feeling about iMacs myself, because I got the impression they were bottom-of-the-line models with limited potential. Well, the salesman kept refusing to show ...

  1. #1

    Default Why wouldn't he sell me a G5???

    I was in a Mac store yesterday, investigating the possibility of buying a new
    Mac, and something happened that gave me pause. I was wondering what
    everybody's take on it was.

    I asked the salesman about G5 Macs, because my nephew -- who had done a lot of
    research before choosing a new Mac for his church, and who I trust to know his
    stuff -- advised me against getting an iMac. I had actually had mixed feeling
    about iMacs myself, because I got the impression they were bottom-of-the-line
    models with limited potential.

    Well, the salesman kept refusing to show me the G5s and kept trying to push the
    latest iMac, saying that the G5 was more than I needed for what I was telling
    him I was planning to do. And he kept doing so even when I kept telling him
    I'd like to at least consider a G5 as an alternative.

    Now, there IS a possibility that he could have been a member of that rare
    breed, a totally honest salesman who's more interested in the customer's needs
    than in selling the most expensive item, but the whole thing didn't sit right
    with me -- partly because of what my nephew had said -- and BTW, he has NO
    vested interest in what choice I make -- and partly because the salesman was
    refusing to even let me look at the G5s. I would have thought he'd have at
    least wanted to prove his point by showing me how much more expensive they
    were. I mean, he wouldn't even talk price comparisons.

    A friend who was with us suggested he might have been trying to use reverse
    psychology to get me to go for the G5 -- "You can do anything you want to me,
    but please don't fling me in that briar patch." But I have another
    suspicion. Maybe they're having trouble moving the iMacs because they ARE
    inferior machines, and he was trying to stick me with one in order to get rid
    of it. What does everyone here think?
    DhDowning Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why wouldn't he sell me a G5???

    Very unprofessional and insulting behavior, IMO. Did you ask to speak
    to his manager or another salesman who would show you a G5? Did the guy
    physically block you from approaching the G5 machines in the store?
    This is just unfathomable behavior even from the bottom of the barrel
    Circuit City droid types.

    Your theory seems reasonable though, perhaps the staff had a directive
    to move the iMacs out as quickly as possible.

    Sandeep

    In article <aol.com>,
    SSM Guest

  3. #3

    On 21 Sep 2003 17:15:59 GMT, DhDowning <com> wrote:

    Maybe he listened to what you said you were going to use it for, and
    thought that the G4 was more appropriate. Not all unexpected behavior
    is sinister.

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (DhDowning) wrote:

    I can't even try to excuse someone for not selling you the computer that
    you want to buy, but I should say that if you're interested in the
    things that most home users are interested in -- accessing the Internet,
    writing some doents every so often, playing some music, and maybe
    running Quicken or playing some basic games -- the iMac will be a
    terrific computer. It costs much less than the G5, it's a lot easier to
    move around, it comes with a great monitor, and it's still really fast.
    It may be bottom-of-the-line in price, but it's a really good computer.

    That said, if you want a G5 I'm sure there are lots of stores that'd be
    interested in selling one to you. If you need help finding another
    store, post your location and I'm sure folks here can point you to a
    good store.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    sbt Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    In article <bkko8o$2qlc9$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > Maybe he listened to what you said you were going to use it for, and
    > thought that the G4 was more appropriate. Not all unexpected behavior
    > is sinister.[/ref]

    No, however refusing to show a customer a product that they've
    repeatedly asked to see gives one pause. If the G4 seems most
    appropriate, an honest salesman would recommend it over the G5,
    regardless of what the profit is on each. But if the customer still
    wants to see the G5, they should be able to check it out first-hand.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  7. #7

    I see three possibilities:

    1) They had no G5s to sell, and he didn't want to lose the commission to
    a waiting list;

    2) He was ordered by management to move iMacs for whatever reason (end
    of month quota, overstocked, whatever);

    3) He _was_ honest, but overzealous. IMHO, a G4 iMac would meet your
    needs quite well, while the G5 is a poor choice (for the money) for just
    about anyone that doesn't need raw processing power. Still, he should
    have at least shown you a G4 1.25 Tower. That is a nice sweet spot in
    Mac price/performance/expandability right now.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  8. #8

    DhDowning <com> wrote:

    Say what? Were the G5s in a separate room/area, closed to the public?
    If, as I presume, this was _not_ the case, why didn't you simply thank
    the saleman for his attention, excuse yourself from his company, and
    walk the steps to wherever they were? Geez...

    cheers,

    Henry
    Henry Guest

  9. #9

    I think he was getting a larger commission for selling iMacs, and I also
    think I'd have talked to the manager immediately!
    Refusing to offer`for sale an item displayed is very bad business...

    keith whaley

    Keith Guest

  10. #10

    >I had actually had mixed feeling

    I own three iMacs and an iBook, which is basically an iMac in a portable
    format.

    The iMacs are neither "bottom of the line" nor "limited potential." I am, and
    always have been, very, very happy with my iMacs, and I'm deliriously happy
    with my iBook.

    For doing basic tasks (including word processing, Internet tasks, spreadsheets,
    and the like), an iMac is probably about the best bang for your buck you'll
    find.

    Where an iMac is *not* appropriate is for tasks that require either lots of raw
    horsepower (professional image editing), expandability (for example, in
    situations where you need to use SCSI devices, or high-end digital audio
    devices, or specialized PCI cards), situations where you may need multiple hard
    drives (for example, digital video editing), situations where you need a
    high-end server (database serving), and the like.

    My experience with Apple salesmen has been very, very positive. in my
    experience, Apple salesmen tend to listen to what the customers need, then
    direct them toward the products which best fill those needs.

    Now, I would say that refusing to show someone a product that that person wants
    to see, even if the product is not really a good match for his needs, is going
    a bit too far. However, I would tend to think, based on my own experiences,
    that what he was doing was steering you to the machine he thought would best
    suit your needs.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  11. #11

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (DhDowning) wrote:

    A salesmans first job is to sell and he will choose selling you what he
    has rather than what you want every time. Surely you've seen that on a
    car lot.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks to everyone who responded to this. Apparently, I was overlooking the
    consumer vs. professional user distinction. I was also thinking of a decision
    I made back when I bought my first Mac, back in 1992. I was debating whether
    to get the Mac LC or a more expensive model, and ended up deciding against the
    LC because I;d heard it was a stripped-down model with limited potential, built
    entirely to be low cost. I ended up getting a IIsi, and was glad I did. (Of
    course, since I didn't get the LC, I'll never know if it would have done me.)
    I was wondering if the iMac was like the LC.

    Also, since these messages become a permanent fixture on the Internet, I want
    to state for the record that my nephew DID NOT say the iMac was an inferior
    model. What he MAY have said was that it wouldn't do for his church -- because
    they needed something geared toward the professional user.
    DhDowning Guest

  13. #13

    com (Tacit) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    Not so fast! The iMac is very limited in potential -- perhaps not
    today, but a year or two down the road an iMac bought today will have
    aged much more quickly than a G5 tower purchased now.

    I've purchased two CRT iMacs over the years and they've both hit eBay
    relatively quickly. My StarMax 3000 (essentially a Powermac 4400) was
    purchased before those two and is still in my office, and even gets
    used occasionally!

    Why? Expandability. Though arguably the original iMacs (especially
    with their Mezzanine slot) ended up being fairly expandable, iMacs
    were and are, for all practical purposes, closed systems. Want to
    upgrade the video chip in your iMac? Forget it. Processor? Not
    likely (admittedly the 4400 had some issues there too for a while).
    Optical drive? Maybe, but it's certainly not easy to get to, and
    impossible without voiding your warranty. With PCI slots and easy to
    access IDE cables, my StarMax has a 240 MHz G3, a 16 meg Voodoo 3, and
    could've easily had a CD-R drive as well. Taken together, I had a
    contemporary iMac-beater for quite a bit less on the dollar per year
    scale. If it weren't for a lack of RAM, I wonder if it couldn't be
    running OS X (albeit crazy slowly) today.

    I was also surprised to see that RAM prices for flatscreen iMacs have
    quite a tariff for upgrading in the "user upgrade" slot. One gig
    sticks are $499 at TransIntl right now for the user upgrade slot and
    only $219 for the "factory" slot. And yes, installing the reasonably
    priced RAM for the factory slot voids your warranty and is a relative
    pain to get to.

    So it depends on "how you like to upgrade". The iMac has 90% of what
    every user wants for 80% of the price, and therefore will likely leave
    you wishing you could upgrade to get that last 10% in a few years.
    The G5 has the ability to be 150% of what anyone would ever need and
    has a great shelf life, but is awfully expensive. (This, btw, is one
    reason Mac laptops, almost by definition and certainly by convention
    closed systems, are such great deals overall, imo. There's no loss in
    shelf-life b/c everyone's got a closed set of features, give or take.)

    That said, just a few weeks ago I purchased the 17" iMac with
    Superdrive. Great screen, much faster than my 500 MHz iBook (not
    tough to be faster than that!), and runs OS X at a reasonable clip.
    Since I don't have much time for gaming any more, the iMac should do
    me -- and most any church -- just fine for a few years! And wow, what
    a great screen (though I'm willfully ignoring for now that I can't use
    that great screen with any of my other computers). It's a super Mac.
    Just don't ask me how I like it in two years' time. ;^)

    Ruffin Bailey
    Ruffin Guest

  14. #14

    maybe the store did not have any??

    Fetch, Guest

  15. #15

    In article <net>, Fetch, Rover, Fetch
    <edu> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I think I would have said to this "salesman" something like "apparently
    you are unaware of the adage 'the customer is always right'. Not a
    problem, I'm sure I can find someone at another store who *is* aware of
    it. Goodbye."
    Ed Guest