Professional Web Applications Themes

Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens - Photography

Hello Everybody, I am considering to buy Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/comments on the following: 1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens for landscapes, buildings and children group photography. 2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality perspective? Thank you very much. Pat...

  1. #1

    Default Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

    Hello Everybody,

    I am considering to buy Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus
    Lens. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/comments on the
    following:

    1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens
    for landscapes, buildings and children group photography.

    2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in
    NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality
    perspective?

    Thank you very much.
    Pat
    Pat Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

    "Pat" <pat10036> wrote in message news:c03bf2a4.0307111927.3239e2b3posting.google.c om...
    > I am considering to buy Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus
    > Lens. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/comments on the
    > following:
    >
    > 1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens
    > for landscapes, buildings and children group photography.
    >
    > 2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in
    > NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality
    > perspective?
    There is no difference (besides warranty) between grey-market
    and US-import models - but with all, there can be sample variations.
    You can find more on this and other Nikkors at:
    [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html[/url] - but, in short, the AF28mm
    would not be my first choice among Nikkor wide-angles (and
    even some zoom lenses outperform it...). Used at f11-16, it would be
    OK for landscapes; it is not quite wide enough for most architecture;
    it would be adequate for group photography (stopped down some),
    but a 35mm FL lens may be better for this...
    --
    David Ruether
    [email]rpn1cornell.edu[/email]

    David Ruether Guest

  3. #3

    [email]pat10036[/email] (Pat) wrote:
    >Hello Everybody,
    >
    >I am considering to buy Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus
    >Lens. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/comments on the
    >following:
    >
    >1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens
    >for landscapes, buildings and children group photography.
    Hi Pat,

    This is a truly outstanding optic.

    When Nikon started making AF lenses way back when, they chose to use
    the optics of the 28mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E rather than the superior
    28mm f/2.8 AIS. This was for reasons of cheapness. The Series E lens
    is a very good lens, but the AIS version was better, so the 28mm f/2.8
    AF Nikkor (non-D) was a very good but not outstanding lens.

    Finally, Nikon decided to make a D version of the 28mm f/2.8 and a new
    design was commissioned. The new design is a truly outstanding optic,
    indeed many people (including myself) rate it as one of the very best
    Nikon wide angle lenses ever made.

    Apart from its unfashionable focal length, which together with the
    high demand for zoom lenses, has kept sales low, this lens cannot be
    faulted. It is sharp, has extremely low distortion and very little
    light fall-off. In short, it's a keeper!
    >2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in
    >NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality
    >perspective?
    The lenses are in all respects identical, being made in the same
    factory on the same production lines by the same people using the same
    components. The only difference is in the warranty. Nikon USA will
    neither service nor repair products that they themselves did not
    import.

    It should not be necessary to pay rip-off prices to get peace of mind.
    If you buy from a reputable store (B+H and Adorama get consistently
    good reports) and choose a reputable extended warranty, you should
    have no problems.

    Good luck! I have no doubt you will enjoy using this fine lens.

    Best regards,

    Tony

    T P Guest

  4. #4

    "David Ruether" <rpn1no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message

    > "Pat" <pat10036> wrote in message
    news:c03bf2a4.0307111927.3239e2b3posting.google.c om...

    > > I am considering to buy Wide Angle AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Autofocus
    > > Lens. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/comments on the
    > > following:
    > >
    > > 1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens
    > > for landscapes, buildings and children group photography.
    > >
    > > 2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in
    > > NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality
    > > perspective?
    >
    > There is no difference (besides warranty) between grey-market
    > and US-import models - but with all, there can be sample variations.
    > You can find more on this and other Nikkors at:
    > [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html[/url] - but, in short, the AF28mm
    > would not be my first choice among Nikkor wide-angles (and
    > even some zoom lenses outperform it...). Used at f11-16, it would be
    > OK for landscapes; it is not quite wide enough for most architecture;
    > it would be adequate for group photography (stopped down some),
    > but a 35mm FL lens may be better for this...
    > --
    > David Ruether
    > [email]rpn1cornell.edu[/email]
    > [url]http://www.ferrario.com/ruether[/url]
    > Hey, take a gander at [url]www.visitithaca.com[/url], too...!

    I must point out, however, that David rates the 28mm AI-s quite well at 4.8.

    Matt Clara Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:35:56 +0100, T P <tpnospam.com> wrote:
    >This is a truly outstanding optic.
    >
    >When Nikon started making AF lenses way back when, they chose to use
    >the optics of the 28mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E rather than the superior
    >28mm f/2.8 AIS. This was for reasons of cheapness. The Series E lens
    >is a very good lens, but the AIS version was better, so the 28mm f/2.8
    >AF Nikkor (non-D) was a very good but not outstanding lens.
    >
    >Finally, Nikon decided to make a D version of the 28mm f/2.8 and a new
    >design was commissioned. The new design is a truly outstanding optic,
    >indeed many people (including myself) rate it as one of the very best
    >Nikon wide angle lenses ever made.
    >
    >Apart from its unfashionable focal length, which together with the
    >high demand for zoom lenses, has kept sales low, this lens cannot be
    >faulted. It is sharp, has extremely low distortion and very little
    >light fall-off. In short, it's a keeper!
    On Tony's advise I bought this lens myself and it is just as he says,
    a fantastic lens. Almost permanently on my F80. 90% of my shots are
    taken with this lens.

    Moldy

    Moldy Guest

  6. #6

    Moldy <i.dont.like.spamfake.email.address> wrote:
    >On Tony's advise I bought this lens myself and it is just as he says,
    >a fantastic lens. Almost permanently on my F80. 90% of my shots are
    >taken with this lens.

    Thanks Moldy. I'm pleased you are enjoying it.

    T P Guest

  7. #7

    "Pat" <pat10036> wrote in message
    news:c03bf2a4.0307111927.3239e2b3posting.google.c om...
    > 1) How do you like this lens? At present I would like to use the lens
    > for landscapes, buildings and children group photography.
    It's a magnificent lens for the money.
    > 2) The lens is available as "USA" and "imported/GREY MARKET" here in
    > NY. Is there any difference between these lenses from the quality
    > perspective?
    Nikon USA won't repair a grey market lens, even if you're willing to pay for
    the repair. Then again, little happens to these lenses to warrant service.

    This lens really is a hidden treasure in the Nikon lineup. I can't
    recommend it highly enough.

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest

  8. #8

    "David Ruether" <rpn1no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message
    > ... in short, the AF28mm
    > would not be my first choice among Nikkor wide-angles (and
    > even some zoom lenses outperform it...). Used at f11-16, it would be
    > OK for landscapes; it is not quite wide enough for most architecture;
    > it would be adequate for group photography (stopped down some),
    > but a 35mm FL lens may be better for this...
    Are you thinking of the non-D version, which isn't that great? Popular
    Photography rated the D the best SLR 28mm lens it had ever tested, and
    better at some apertures than the best ever tested, which was the Zeiss
    28/2.8 for the Contax G-series rangefinders. My 28/2.8D was superior to my
    AF 20-35/2.8D IF at all apertures, and I have no reason to expect my 20-35,
    which I consider to be stunningly good, is a sub-standard example of its
    ilk.

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest

  9. #9

    "Jim MacKenzie" <jimdusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote in message news:3f12e1b8$1news3.accesscomm.ca...
    > "David Ruether" <rpn1no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message
    [...]
    > > ... in short, the AF28mm
    > > would not be my first choice among Nikkor wide-angles (and
    > > even some zoom lenses outperform it...). Used at f11-16, it would be
    > > OK for landscapes; it is not quite wide enough for most architecture;
    > > it would be adequate for group photography (stopped down some),
    > > but a 35mm FL lens may be better for this...
    > Are you thinking of the non-D version, which isn't that great? Popular
    > Photography rated the D the best SLR 28mm lens it had ever tested, and
    > better at some apertures than the best ever tested, which was the Zeiss
    > 28/2.8 for the Contax G-series rangefinders. My 28/2.8D was superior to my
    > AF 20-35/2.8D IF at all apertures, and I have no reason to expect my 20-35,
    > which I consider to be stunningly good, is a sub-standard example of its
    > ilk.
    No, I meant all AF Nikkor 28mm f2.8 models, though the D is generally
    better than the non-D... Pop Photo appears to have few concerns about
    edge/corner sharpness in lenses, often commenting that lenses are
    "sharp and contrasty to the corners at all stops" when I know that this
    is not true with many lenses I'm familiar with that they are reviewing.
    The *AF* Nikkor 28mm f2.8 lenses are not particularly good at the
    edges compared with other Nikkor wides, and may not be sharp there
    even at fairly small stops, though the center may be sharp at f2.8. This
    is not "good" performance for me. (See for more:
    [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html[/url].) And, one of my complaints about
    the Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 is its poor wide-stop edge/corner performance
    at some FLs - the 17-35 is noticeably better, and it is a very good lens
    (see it compared with the 18-35mm Nikkor and Nikkor non-zooms at:
    [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/articles.html[/url]). Some people don't care about
    frame-edge sharpness; some do...;-)

    David Ruether Guest

  10. #10

    > The *AF* Nikkor 28mm f2.8 lenses are not particularly good at the
    > edges compared with other Nikkor wides, and may not be sharp there
    > even at fairly small stops, though the center may be sharp at f2.8. This
    > is not "good" performance for me. (See for more:
    > [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html[/url].) And, one of my complaints about
    > the Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 is its poor wide-stop edge/corner performance
    > at some FLs - the 17-35 is noticeably better, and it is a very good lens
    > (see it compared with the 18-35mm Nikkor and Nikkor non-zooms at:
    > [url]www.ferrario.com/ruether/articles.html[/url]). Some people don't care about
    > frame-edge sharpness; some do...;-)
    I care. :) And I realize the limitations of my 20-35 at f/2.8 and f/4. I
    shoot the lens at f/2.8 because I have to; if I don't, I stop down.
    Intelligent use of the lens gives me good results.

    I found the corner sharpness of my 28/2.8D to be extremely good. It blew
    away my 35/2, which is generally considered to be an excellent lens. Maybe
    I got lucky and so did Popular Photography, but I know a lot of other people
    who share my enthusiasm for the lens, so I'm inclined to think you saw a bad
    one. I have, however, never used the AI-S. The D is certainly head and
    shoulders above the E lens, which I do know well.

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest

  11. #11

    "Jim MacKenzie" <jimdusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote:
    >I care. :) And I realize the limitations of my 20-35 at f/2.8 and f/4. I
    >shoot the lens at f/2.8 because I have to; if I don't, I stop down.
    >Intelligent use of the lens gives me good results.
    >
    >I found the corner sharpness of my 28/2.8D to be extremely good. It blew
    >away my 35/2, which is generally considered to be an excellent lens. Maybe
    >I got lucky and so did Popular Photography, but I know a lot of other people
    >who share my enthusiasm for the lens, so I'm inclined to think you saw a bad
    >one. I have, however, never used the AI-S. The D is certainly head and
    >shoulders above the E lens, which I do know well.

    Well said, Jim. My experience seems identical to yours; my 20-35mm
    was the best of the three examples I have tested and the 28mm f/2.8D
    was simply amazing.

    The AF 28mm f/2.8D Nikkor is not only a huge improvement on the very
    good non-D version, but it also beats the excellent AIS version.

    I rest my case.

    T P Guest

  12. #12

    T P <tpnospam.com> wrote:
    > When Nikon started making AF lenses way back when, they chose to use
    > the optics of the 28mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E rather than the superior
    > 28mm f/2.8 AIS. This was for reasons of cheapness. The Series E lens
    > is a very good lens, but the AIS version was better, so the 28mm f/2.8
    > AF Nikkor (non-D) was a very good but not outstanding lens.
    > Finally, Nikon decided to make a D version of the 28mm f/2.8 and a new
    > design was commissioned. The new design is a truly outstanding optic,
    > indeed many people (including myself) rate it as one of the very best
    > Nikon wide angle lenses ever made.
    > Apart from its unfashionable focal length, which together with the
    > high demand for zoom lenses, has kept sales low, this lens cannot be
    > faulted. It is sharp, has extremely low distortion and very little
    > light fall-off. In short, it's a keeper!
    How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    and sharpness?

    Thanks.

    Raymond
    nospamXXX@voyager.net Guest

  13. #13

    [email]nospamvoyager.net[/email] wrote:

    >How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    >and sharpness?

    It easily beats the 35mm f/2, which never impressed
    me. I owned an AIS and later an AF-D.

    The only 35mm Nikkor I liked was the f/1.4 AIS,
    which has "3-D" qualities and interesting bokeh.

    T P Guest

  14. #14

    Geez, "3-D qualities", eh? Does it also have an oaky flavour...a fruity
    aroma? Can you take pictures with it, too? Did you read that someplace, T
    P?

    "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message
    > [email]nospamvoyager.net[/email] wrote:
    > >
    > >How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    > >and sharpness?
    >

    > It easily beats the 35mm f/2, which never impressed
    > me. I owned an AIS and later an AF-D.
    >
    > The only 35mm Nikkor I liked was the f/1.4 AIS,
    > which has "3-D" qualities and interesting bokeh.

    McLeod Guest

  15. #15

    "Jim MacKenzie" <jimdusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote in message news:3f142a20news3.accesscomm.ca...

    > <nospamvoyager.net> wrote in message
    > > How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    > > and sharpness?
    >
    > I had the non-D 35/2, which is identical optically to the D version.
    > Stopped down, my 35/2 was approximately equal to the 28/2.8D in the centre
    > of the frame, but inferior at the edges. At wide apertures, the 35/2 was
    > equal to the 28/2.8D in the centre of the frame, but vastly inferior at the
    > edges. The out-of-focus corners were quite obvious at f/2, especially.
    >
    > Jim
    Mebbe my universe is different...;-)
    While I prefer the 35mm f2 AIS for center-to-corner crispness
    in the image wide open (even with its illumination roll-off), the
    35mm f2 AF Nikkors I've tried have been good to the corners
    wide open, a BIG improvement over the many soft-edged
    28mm f2.8 E/AF samples I've seen (with the "D" being only
    somewhat improved over the non-D design...). Hmmmm...
    I guess we look for different things, or run across different sets
    of samples...;-)

    David Ruether Guest

  16. #16

    "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message news:bvv7hvgcop4j6jhjgqr8jbsnh0tekvdbtl4ax.com...
    > [email]nospamvoyager.net[/email] wrote:
    > >
    > >How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    > >and sharpness?
    >

    > It easily beats the 35mm f/2, which never impressed
    > me. I owned an AIS and later an AF-D.
    >
    > The only 35mm Nikkor I liked was the f/1.4 AIS,
    > which has "3-D" qualities and interesting bokeh.
    I've owned a few 35mm f1.4 Nikkors, several 35mm f2 AIS Nikkors,
    and a couple of 35mm f2 AF Nikkors. I liked the f1.4 least, for its overall
    lower contrast and resolution (particularly at the edges) compared with the
    MF f2. (I guess this is what "good bokeh" is, huh...?;-) The AF f2 is a
    good lens, sharp everywhere, but not as "crisp"-looking as the AIS MF...
    I also like the latest-version of the 35mm f2.8 PC for its excellent f2.8
    performance...

  17. #17

    David Ruether wrote:
    > "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message news:bvv7hvgcop4j6jhjgqr8jbsnh0tekvdbtl4ax.com...
    > > [email]nospamvoyager.net[/email] wrote:
    > > >
    > > >How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    > > >and sharpness?
    > >

    > > It easily beats the 35mm f/2, which never impressed
    > > me. I owned an AIS and later an AF-D.
    > >
    > > The only 35mm Nikkor I liked was the f/1.4 AIS,
    > > which has "3-D" qualities and interesting bokeh.
    >
    > I've owned a few 35mm f1.4 Nikkors, several 35mm f2 AIS Nikkors,
    > and a couple of 35mm f2 AF Nikkors. I liked the f1.4 least, for its overall
    > lower contrast and resolution (particularly at the edges) compared with the
    > MF f2.
    I will agree on that. I borrowed one of the manual focus f1.4 lenses, and I was surprised
    that I liked the 35 mm f2 AIS results better, both wide open and stopped down. It was
    disappointing enough that I would not be buying one to add to my current lenses. Also, the
    f2 is so close to the shift lens I already own, that I will be passing on that one as well.
    Any comments on the manual focus 24 mm choices?
    > (I guess this is what "good bokeh" is, huh...?;-) The AF f2 is a
    > good lens, sharp everywhere, but not as "crisp"-looking as the AIS MF...
    > I also like the latest-version of the 35mm f2.8 PC for its excellent f2.8
    > performance...
    I use my 35 mm shift lens quite often wide open. It was an incredibly good choice for a
    couple paid location assignments this year. I originally got mine when I was photographing
    interior architecture for a client, then when that client moved to video only, I started
    using it as a more normal lens. While the aperture selection can be a pain, leaving it at
    f2.8 works nicely for many situations.

    Now I am thinking of getting rid of my 28 mm and getting a 24 mm instead. The 28 mm has been
    good, with one image from it currently hanging in a gallery, though I think I could make
    some more use of a 24 mm.

    Stop down performance has been a bigger issue for me with the wide angle lenses than wide
    open performance in most situations. With that in mind, do any of the manual focus 24 mm
    Nikon lenses work well at f16 or f22? Thanks.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat
    Alliance Graphique Studio
    <http://www.allgstudio.com>

    Gordon Moat Guest

  18. #18

    T P <tpnospam.com> wrote in message news:<bvv7hvgcop4j6jhjgqr8jbsnh0tekvdbtl4ax.com>. ..
    > [email]nospamvoyager.net[/email] wrote:
    > >
    > >How does this lens compare with the 35mm f2.0D? in terms of distortion
    > >and sharpness?
    >

    > It easily beats the 35mm f/2, which never impressed
    > me. I owned an AIS and later an AF-D.
    >
    > The only 35mm Nikkor I liked was the f/1.4 AIS,
    > which has "3-D" qualities and interesting bokeh.
    Interesting bokeh? The 35/1.4 Nikkor used at f/1.4 has perhaps the
    worst background bokeh of any Nikon lens with the exception of the
    reflex lenses. Granted, the bokeh is very good once you stop down to
    f/2.8, but at f/1.4 its just plain awful.

    Brian
    brian Guest

  19. #19

    "David Ruether" <rpn1no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote:

    >The 28mm f2.8 D does show excellent contrast
    >and brilliance, which can make the image look sharper than it really
    >is - but, then, mebbe thet'z awl thet reely cowntz...;-)

    Yes, that is *precisely* what counts!

    On a serious note, the human eye does not see resolution nor contrast
    alone. It sees "apparent sharpness".

    Apparent sharpness can be defined as the product of resolution and
    contrast, So, for the same resolution as a lower contrast lens, a
    more contrasty lens will appear to give sharper results because it
    *is* sharper - by definition.

    I do accept your point about the optical superiority of the 'floating
    group' of the Nikon "Close Range Correction" (CRC) feature in the 28mm
    f/2.8 AIS. The 28mm f/2.8D AF lacks this feature and is therefore
    less sharp when focused close, especially at the edges.

    It's also true to say that the 28mm f/2.8 AIS is better at the edges
    at more usual focusing distances, however I believe this is more a
    symptom of the fact that the 28mm f/2.8D AF is not a flat field lens.
    I regard this as a virtue, not a weakness, because the number of
    photographers needing a flat field 28mm f/2.8 autofocus lens must be
    very small indeed.

    Probably a high proportion of that very small number are those who
    mainly shoot test charts and brick walls.

    ;-)

    T P Guest

  20. #20

    "David Ruether" <rpn1no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote:
    >I've owned a few 35mm f1.4 Nikkors, several 35mm f2 AIS Nikkors,
    >and a couple of 35mm f2 AF Nikkors. I liked the f1.4 least, for its overall
    >lower contrast and resolution (particularly at the edges) compared with the
    >MF f2. (I guess this is what "good bokeh" is, huh...?;-)
    For the avoidance of doubt, I said that the 35mm f/1.4 AIS (current
    version) that I owned had "interesting bokeh". I did not describe it
    as "good bokeh".
    >The AF f2 is a good lens, sharp everywhere, but not as "crisp"-looking
    >as the AIS MF...
    I totally disagree (!). Neither is a great lens, but samples of the
    35mm f/2 AF seem consistently to be sharper (crisper ... as in Corn
    Flakes?) than the AIS. Maybe yours had oil from the iris diaphragm
    blades on one or both adjacent elements ... not joking as the oil in
    the early versions got everywhere!
    >I also like the latest-version of the 35mm f2.8 PC for its excellent f2.8
    >performance...
    At last, something we can agree on!

    I am surprised you didn't mention the late 28mm f/3.5 PC Nikkor which
    is probably superior to any other 28mm Nikkor in terms of sharpness
    and lack of distortion. I miss that lens more than any other of my
    Nikkors except ... well, about two or three others!

    ;-)

    T P Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast