Professional Web Applications Themes

Widescreen Flickering using adobe products - Adobe Indesign Windows

When using In Design 2.0.2 and Photoshop 6.0.1 on a widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 243T monitor both applications flicker. If I reduce application window to half screen size applications don't flicker anymore. Have updated all relevant drivers and downloads. Hasn't helped. Any solutions? Chris...

  1. #1

    Default Widescreen Flickering using adobe products

    Chris_F_Meall@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Widescreen Flickering using adobe products

    Is your video card supporting such a monitor?

    rgrds
    George
    George_Bilalis@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Running a 128mb ASUS FX5800 video card with the latest NVIDIA drivers. Screen resolution of 1920x1200
    Chris_F_Meall@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I suspect it must be something in your video card/monitor setup, rather than any fault of the applications. I run 3 monitors with a desktop of 3584 x 1024 pixels, and indesign CS and PS 7 will both happily stretch across all 3 and remain stable. (I don't normally use them this way but it does work,) screens are 2 x 21" iiyama Visionmasters & 15" Compaq TFT, video cards are nvidia Geforce MX400 and 2 Matrox Milleniums (Millenia?)
    Alastair_Bruce@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try increasing your screen refresh rate. I suspect, at that resolution, that the default is 60 hertz. Try 75 if the card & monitor support it at that resolution. Even 65 should be an improvement.
    Michael_S._Flynn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Is that a tube or LCD? What's the refresh rate?

    What if you open up another app that has a similar big white space...does
    that flicker?

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    IT guys are looking at another Graphics card. They seem to think you guys are on the right track. After much testing last night it seems the problem is generic. On some windows the flicker is not as pronounced. I apologise to Adobe for pointing the finger at them. Will keep you informed on the outcome.

    Cheers

  8. #8

    Ahhh. Every time I had this problem, it was due to compromised or inadequate
    power - too much stuff on one circuit.

    Good luck.
    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    The best investment I ever made was in an APC voltage regulator. What a difference that made.

    Neville
    Neville_Lassotovitch@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    What is this voltage regulator having to do with horizontal and vertical scan frequencies, aspect ratio, monitor latency, interlaced-non interlaced video modes e.tc.?

  11. #11

    The monitor's ability to deliver a strong display is reduced. Or, the
    electron beam is weak due to bad regulation in the monitor, and the
    persistence of the phosphor isn't long enough to prevent flicker. At least,
    that's what happens with TVs.

    A UPS isn't going to do squat to help, but a power conditioner ($$$$) will
    keep the AC up at 120/240.

  12. #12

    I don't think much of that's relevant as the Samsung unit is a TFT, the only power issue relating to instability would be if the PSU in the computer was under spec for the job of powering the various drives and PCI driven components such as the video card, overloading the PSU can cause instability and crashes, I think that's what Peggy meant. By the way is the monitor driven through the ogue VGA or digital DVI port?
    Alastair_Bruce@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    . At least, that's what happens with TVs.

    That's what WAS happening with TV's (old CRT technology, some decades ago where the Very high voltage for acceleration was produced from og horizontal sweep frequency circuits and the vertical sync was locked to the horizontal sweep)
    Today's technology is more digital than og and these simply don't apply.
    I don't mean a line regulator isn't good. A UPS is even better but for other reasons as well like loss of data. For a TFT digital monitor driven by a DC power supply these have nothing to do with flicker.

  14. #14

    > That's what WAS happening with TV's (old CRT technology,

    Maybe so, it was relevant when I was in the engineering group at Zenith in
    late 1987. (time flies) But even today's cheaper monitors don't have good HV
    circuits. Many old TVs were better than today's junk...

  15. #15

    Agreed, John.

    Then "how time flies" (?)

    Time flies like an arrow