Professional Web Applications Themes

WiFi at Denver International Airport (DIA) - Mac Networking

Recently at Denver International Airport... Big banners say "AT&T WiFi now in this airport!" But, I was totally unable to connect with my Powerbook. Each time I selected the AT&T Wireless access point, "There was an error joining this network." Is DIA WiFi broken for Apple users? I've had very good experiences with t-mobile in other public places. -- Sally -- Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly") com -or- org http://theWorld.com/~sshears...

  1. #1

    Default WiFi at Denver International Airport (DIA)

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  2. #2

    Default Re: WiFi at Denver International Airport (DIA)

    Sally Shears <com> wrote:

    I couldn't get my powerbook to work there either. I've seen this "There was
    an error joining this network" before on other networks that were using WEP
    and I had the incorrect key. Perhaps the AT&T WiFi at DIA requires a WEP
    key?

    --
    John J. Rushford
    http://www.larush.com

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    > I couldn't get my powerbook to work there either. I've seen this "There was
    > an error joining this network" before on other networks that were using WEP
    > and I had the incorrect key. Perhaps the AT&T WiFi at DIA requires a WEP
    > key?
    >[/ref]

    Found this link, looks like you do need to be a subscriber with a user id
    and password:

    http://www.cell-phone-plans.net/forum/Cell_Phone_Provider_Forums_C3/ATT_Wireless_Forum_F17/ATT_Wireless_and_T-Mobile_USA_Sign_Airport_Wi-Fi_Roaming_Agreement_P253/

  4. #4

    com wrote:

    Based on experience with my brother-in-law's wireless network, I think it
    might have something to do with the length of the WEP key. If your
    AirPort card hasn't been updated past 40 bits, that might do it.
    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1UWoc.44070$536.7782930attbi_s03>,
    <com> wrote:

    > > I couldn't get my powerbook to work there either. I've seen this "There was
    > > an error joining this network" before on other networks that were using WEP
    > > and I had the incorrect key. Perhaps the AT&T WiFi at DIA requires a WEP
    > > key?
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Found this link, looks like you do need to be a subscriber with a user id
    > and password:
    >
    > http://www.cell-phone-plans.net/forum/Cell_Phone_Provider_Forums_C3/ATT_Wirele
    > ss_Forum_F17/ATT_Wireless_and_T-Mobile_USA_Sign_Airport_Wi-Fi_Roaming_Agreement_P253/[/ref]

    Thanks John --

    Yes, from the link you can subscribe and install some "AT&T WiFi
    Software". I didn't investigate further, but I suspect this is for the
    monopoly OS, not ours.

    But, the page and the banners at DIA say, "Or, you can just open your
    laptop, open your browser, and you'll see a payment page." This
    simply didn't work for me... "Error in joining the network..."

    There is an interesting element... AT&T and t-mobile have agreed to let
    subscribers use each others' networks. I use t-mobile at Starbucks at
    lot and it works well.

    Why can't an Apple laptop connect at DIA?

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  6. #6

    In article <168.1.100>, Alan Anderson
    <net> wrote:

    > Based on experience with my brother-in-law's wireless network, I think it
    > might have something to do with the length of the WEP key. If your
    > AirPort card hasn't been updated past 40 bits, that might do it.[/ref]

    Thanks, Alan, but I serious doubt it's a WEP problem. The instructions
    are "Open your laptop, open your browser, and you'll be redirected to a
    payments page."

    Also, MacStumbler says that the network is not using WEP.

    Why can't Macs connect at DIA?

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  7. #7

    Default Re: (was: WiFi at (DIA)) now: open Browser to connect

    In article <150520041225416585%com>,
    Sally Shears <com> wrote:

    Does anyone know how this works? It seems quite amazing to me--you are
    in some sense connected to the network, but you can only access a single
    web page.

    Our university wireless networks are like this too. What is amazing is
    that they remember you, so you only have to do the web page thingy once.
    Does that mean they copy your MAC address into a database someplace or
    something?

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  8. #8

    In article <colorado.edu>,
    James Meiss <invalid> wrote:

    > Does anyone know how this works? It seems quite amazing to me--you are
    > in some sense connected to the network, but you can only access a single
    > web page.
    >
    > Our university wireless networks are like this too. What is amazing is
    > that they remember you, so you only have to do the web page thingy once.
    > Does that mean they copy your MAC address into a database someplace or
    > something?[/ref]

    Yes. I expect it works in conjunction with the DHCP server, which has
    to keep track of which MAC address was assigned which IP address. This
    is also the mechanism used in hotel room broadband connections (although
    they could also do it based on the physical port that you're connected
    to -- a good test would be to take two laptops to a hotel, pay with one
    and then connect the other and see if it demands another payment).

    Until you've paid, all your traffic is redirected to a proxy server that
    asks for your credit card info.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  9. #9

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote:

    > > Does anyone know how this works? It seems quite amazing to me--you are
    > > in some sense connected to the network, but you can only access a single
    > > web page.
    > >
    > > Our university wireless networks are like this too. What is amazing is
    > > that they remember you, so you only have to do the web page thingy once.
    > > Does that mean they copy your MAC address into a database someplace or
    > > something?[/ref]
    >
    > Yes. I expect it works in conjunction with the DHCP server, which has
    > to keep track of which MAC address was assigned which IP address. This
    > is also the mechanism used in hotel room broadband connections (although
    > they could also do it based on the physical port that you're connected
    > to -- a good test would be to take two laptops to a hotel, pay with one
    > and then connect the other and see if it demands another payment).
    >
    > Until you've paid, all your traffic is redirected to a proxy server that
    > asks for your credit card info.[/ref]

    The router/proxy "hijacks" the first web page you try to visit and
    sends you instead to the "payments" page.

    In many hotels I've tried, his works whether you have DHCP or a fixed
    IP. I suspect DIA is the same. It may be a kluge... I think it works if
    you have an (invalid!) fixed IP in your configuration. Something in the
    middle acts as a proxy to serve you regardless.

    Anyone know if this is correct?

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")