Professional Web Applications Themes

Will be scanning old glass negatives - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have been scanning/printing old slides for my mother from well before I was born and using PSE to fix them and to print (I love the print packages available). She recently went to visit a cousin of hers and was delighted to learn that he has "a lot" (however many that is) of old glass negatives in a variety of sizes all the way up to 8x10. I have found that the Epson Expression 1680 will scan a negative that big. I have purchased one on Ebay and it should be here early next week. I plan to buy ...

  1. #1

    Default Will be scanning old glass negatives

    I have been scanning/printing old slides for my mother from well before I was born and using PSE to fix them and to print (I love the print packages available). She recently went to visit a cousin of hers and was delighted to learn that he has "a lot" (however many that is) of old glass negatives in a variety of sizes all the way up to 8x10. I have found that the Epson Expression 1680 will scan a negative that big. I have purchased one on Ebay and it should be here early next week. I plan to buy some glass negatives (also on Ebay) as practice material. I figure if I mess one of them up, it won't be as big a loss as ing up the "only" picture of such and such a relative.

    Do any of you have any suggestions on cleaning them? On scanning them? On using this scanner?

    I also hope to get an Epson 2000P printer (its large format and archival ink is quite appealing). I plan to print many of these old slides on this new printer. Any suggestions/cautions there?

    Thanks
    Richard L Hanlon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Will be scanning old glass negatives

    As far as scanning any solid, three-dimensional object, I'd be extremely careful placing it on the glass of your flat-bed scanner. You might try placing a piece of clear acetate down first.
    Ken Wolin Guest

  3. #3

    I don't know if you can still get them, but a box of lint free cotton gloves wouldn't be out of place either. A photo shop that still deals in enlargers and film development should have them.

    My Mom just finished a project for the local Royal Canadian Legion that involved large scale negatives, but I don't know if she had any plates to deal with. I'll ask and get back to this thread.

    As always, the emulsion side is the most vulnerable, and I suspect you'll want to place them emulsion down for the best scans.

    If there's a museum handy, you may want to ask a conservator there for handling and cleaning advice.

    I used a Google search on photographic plate conservation to find this: <http://www.resource.gov.uk/information/advice/conserv10.asp>

    Sounds like you've got a cool project ahead of you! Have fun!

    HTH

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  4. #4

    I had to produce prints from glass plates for our regional archives. The easiest way I could think of was placing each of them on a light box and shooting with my digital camera. This worked fine; one image has been printed at 100x100 cm and this print is really breathtaking.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  5. #5

    Ref my 20030919/1056PDT above.

    Mom didn't have to deal with glass plates, just 2-1/4 by 2-1/4 negs. They scanned well on her Umax Astra 2200 with the transparency lid.

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  6. #6

    As you can imagine, glass plates are fragile. If one breaks it can easily damage others, so get some archival quality plastic sleeves to store them in.
    If your scanner has a 'film' carrier' (as my 2450 does) then you might need to make some new ones for some of the plate sizes, or experiment with spacers to hold the plates in the right plane.
    If you think you want to try cleaning any old film or plates - copy them first! That way if you should have a disaster, at least you have one copy.
    Cotton gloves should be available from any good camera store, professional dealer or archival products dealer.
    Martin Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Richard Guest