Professional Web Applications Themes

Will FrameMaker Templates work with InDesign CS? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Will FrameMaker Templates work with InDesign CS? We have a large investment in FM templates, but would like to upgrade the company to InDesign. Will we be able to import or convert our FM templates into InDesign? Thanks, Jim Brinton Technical Writer MJ Research Inc....

  1. #1

    Default Will FrameMaker Templates work with InDesign CS?

    James_Brinton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I didn't see anything FrameMaker related in the Place command options or the Open dialog.

    I don't think there is a way to open those with ID but wait to see if other users can confirm this.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No. InDesign doesn't support opening FrameMaker files, which is kind of interesting considering that you can open PageMaker and Quark files in InDesign. Seems like a .mif import filter would be a good addition. I've requested this in the feature request forum.

    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    One thing, tho: You can export RTF from FrameMaker and Place into InDesign. All the formatting styles show up quite nicely, thank you.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  5. #5

    Warning: if you're wanting to use anchored side heads or footnotes in InDesign, you'll have to do some manual labor. Search these forums for tips and hints to help you out
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you all.
    And it really DOES seem as if a .mif import filter would be a good idea <g>.
    Thanks again,
    Jim Brinton
    James_Brinton@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    And it really DOES seem as if a .mif import filter would be a good idea

    I am going to guess that mif stands for Make In Frames or something that has to do with FrameMaker.

    I don't think it seems like a good idea. I think that's sounds a lot more like a solution.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    How did FrameMaker Interchange end up being .mif?

    Adobe and their naming habits are getting on my nerves. <g>
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    ..mif = Maker Interchange Format

    Ironically there is a plug-in available for Quark that will import the .mif format. Apparently Adobe is not as forward thinking.

  10. #10

    So open the FM mif into Quark and then open that 4.1 file into InDesign? Has anyone tried this?

  11. #11

    Apparently Adobe is not as forward thinking.

    Nobody is perfect. ID runs circles around Quark. Just because Adobe missed that it doesn't make Quark better all around.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    "..it doesn't make Quark better all around."

    I didn't say it did. I just think it's rather silly that Adobe doesn't support this when Quark does. I suppose if Adobe supported .mif import it would imply that FrameMaker is dead(like PageMaker) or at least on its way out, which is an impression I'm sure Adobe doesn't want to create.

  13. #13

    I note that the FrameMaker import plug-in for QuarkXPress was not developed by Quark. It's not that "Quark supports it," it's that a third party chose to develop the feature. Why not suggest they develop a plug-in for InDesign?

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I think the suggestion has been made here that Adobe should develop the plugin for InDesign.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest