Professional Web Applications Themes

Will Indesign CS output in XHTML to...Dreamweaver, for example? - Adobe Indesign Windows

My apologies if this is a basic question. I am just learning HTML and XHTML and have a copy of Indesign. When I learned I could not export my print doents in HTML format, the news came as a disappointment. Any ideas? I have Dreamweaver, but not GoLive. Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Will Indesign CS output in XHTML to...Dreamweaver, for example?

    ewthompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Think I may have answered my own question..I found out it outputs to XML. However, can formatting be maintained? Help was a bit ambiguous as the 'output to xml' section prefaced with (approximately) "when doents are output to XML, only the tags are maintained and all formatting is lost', then proceeded to go into how to maintain formatting. (?)

    Pls advise.
    ewthompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    XML export will capture the tagged content of your doent but not layout information, such as page position of frames etc. If you're trying to te the look of your layout you'd be better served by PDF rather than HTML.

    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Phil, thank you for the feed back. My hope is to do just what you described, with minor modifications. You are suggesting I make my entire site a series of PDF docs (one PDF for each page of the printed magazine)? If that is the only feasible option, I will do so however I am not aware of any sites which currently use that particular formatting. Seems like I should have picked up the prior version of Indesign, where I understand HTML exporting was supported.
    ewthompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You are suggesting I make my entire site a series of PDF docs (one PDF for each page of the printed magazine)?
    I'm suggesting that there's a fundamental difference between design for print and design of HTML pages. If you simply need to deliver formatted pages over the Internet, then PDF is an excellent choice.

    Seems like I should have picked up the prior version of InDesign, where I understand HTML exporting was supported.

    The reason HTML export was removed is because it was so poor. I don't recommend that course of action.
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Understood. Last question:
    How would you approach the task of making a print publication available online? Totally reworked layouts in an HTML specific application? I admittedly am new to both processes and am learning on the fly. My thought was I could eliminate some steps by exporting to HTML, and simply add needed links and other enhanced content to the web version of the magazine. Any software recommendations while we are at it?

    Much obliged,

    EWT
    ewthompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Print periodical publishers need to understand that online publishing is a totally different animal that requires different layout and even a different writing style. There is no such thing as a 'publish to web' button. Unless you expect the public to print out your PDF files to view your original layout back in its print form, PDF is not ideal for the online periodical publisher either.

    Layout:
    You should never lay out a web page with article columns like you do with a print layout. Screen viewers like to scroll to the bottom of a page once. Screen viewers do not like to follow text creatively wrapped around the graphics like they do in print. Screen viewers do not like to strain their eyes to read text laid over photographs like they do in print.

    Writing style:
    Admit it, magazines and newspapers are written solely for folks that read while sitting on the toilet. They have time to kill and their eyes do not hurt after staring at paper. Screen viewers have little time to stare at a monitor that can easily cause eye strain. Google for 'writing for the web' to get some basic info on the punchy writing style required online.

    Online publishers can address both layout and writing syle issues by managing their content in a database and template system. This can be tied into the same system that is used to compose your print articles. Dreamweaver and GoLive should only be used to create your page templates. Once that is done, all else should be managed in a content management system.

    ###

    If you must use PDF, you can create a single PDF file of your entire magazine and then create HTML links to specific pages for faster access. An HTML link might look like:

    <http://www.yourdomain.com/pdf/magazine.pdf#page=6>

    But beware that while the user will first see page 6, the rest of the magazine may download in the background and eat up your server bandwidth.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Jim, and Phil.

    I'll do my google homework. I'm a little vague on your reference to a content management system, but again, will google.

    Regards,

    EWT
    ewthompson@adobeforums.com Guest