Professional Web Applications Themes

Will new Macs get a free upgrade to OSX 10.3? - Mac Applications & Software

Although Apple has announced OS X 10.3 (Panther), it obviously is not yet ready to be included with any iMacs, eMacs, iBooks, and PowerBooks sold in the next couple of months. Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free upgrade? Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut minds pring dawt com (y'all)...

  1. #1

    Default Will new Macs get a free upgrade to OSX 10.3?

    Although Apple has announced OS X 10.3 (Panther), it obviously
    is not yet ready to be included with any iMacs, eMacs, iBooks,
    and PowerBooks sold in the next couple of months.

    Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    upgrade?

    Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
    Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
    Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut minds pring dawt com (y'all)
    Frnak McKenney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Will new Macs get a free upgrade to OSX 10.3?

    In article <be2fef$mtc$1slb9.atl.mindspring.net>, Frnak McKenney
    <frnakfar.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:
    > Although Apple has announced OS X 10.3 (Panther), it obviously
    > is not yet ready to be included with any iMacs, eMacs, iBooks,
    > and PowerBooks sold in the next couple of months.
    >
    > Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    > purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    > upgrade?
    no, but if its anything like last year, there will be no discount until
    a month or so prior to ship, which is currently 'end of the year'
    according to steve.

    jaguar was announced at the developer confernce last may, and then
    'publically' in july at macworld expo. july was the cutoff date for a
    price break, despite it being announced two months earlier, along with
    various webpages at apple.com describing it. doesn't get much more
    public than that, but july, not may was the cutoff date. i doubt this
    time will be any different.

    expect to pay $129 until probably november or so, assuming it ships in
    december.
    nospam Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:15:25 -0700, nospam <nospamnospam.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <be2fef$mtc$1slb9.atl.mindspring.net>, Frnak McKenney
    ><frnakfar.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:
    --snip--
    >> Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    >> purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    >> upgrade?
    >
    > no, but if its anything like last year, there will be no discount until
    > a month or so prior to ship, which is currently 'end of the year'
    > according to steve.
    Thanks, nospam. Makes sense, from Apple's point of view.

    I'm spec'ing out a PowerBook for a family member, and, while a free
    upgrade to 10.3 is not a make or break criterion by itself, I could
    wind up feeling a _lot_ of heat if I say it will happen and it
    doesn't (;-).

  4. #4

    Frnak McKenney <frnakfar.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:
    > Although Apple has announced OS X 10.3 (Panther), it obviously
    > is not yet ready to be included with any iMacs, eMacs, iBooks,
    > and PowerBooks sold in the next couple of months.
    >
    > Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    > purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    > upgrade?

    No - what generally happens is that Apple will announce that an OS is
    now pre-installed on new computers. At the time of that announcement
    there are, of course, lots of computers already on the shelf with the
    older version. People who purchase computers on the day of the
    announcement and afterwards are generally elligable for a 'free'
    upgrade. I quote free because it usually costs a few bucks for shipping.

    Apple generally uses the Mac-Up-To-Date program that gives owners of a
    previous OS a small price break. Be sure to save that sheet of blue
    tickets you get with the computer! It may save you $30 or so. But Apple
    hasn't been so forcoming with Mac-Up-To-Date as it had in the past.

    Realistically, if you buy a new computer this summer, be prepared to pay
    $129 for the upgrade and consider yourself lucky if you wind up paying
    about $100. And if Apple doesn't give us a price break, you don't have
    to be the first one on your block to get Panther. When Jaguar came out I
    waited about 2 weeks and wound up getting a bundle deal - RAM and
    Jaquar. Subtracting the price of RAM (which I did need) I got Jag for
    $85 - plus paid no tax or shipping.
    Strider Guest

  5. #5

    In article <be2fef$mtc$1slb9.atl.mindspring.net>,
    Frnak McKenney <frnakfar.from.the.madding.crowd.com> wrote:
    >Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    >purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    >upgrade?
    I assume they'll do their normal thing and offer it free to
    anyone who purchased 10.2, or any computer than came with 10.2,
    for the previous 30 days.

    Simon Slavin Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:00:55 GMT, [email]gwbushnospamwhitehouse.gov[/email] (Ben
    Loughran) wrote:
    ><slavinshearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> >Has Apple made any formal statement regarding whether or not Macs
    >> >purchased after the OS X 10.3 announcement will get a free
    >> >upgrade?
    >>
    >> I assume they'll do their normal thing and offer it free to
    >> anyone who purchased 10.2, or any computer than came with 10.2,
    >> for the previous 30 days.
    >
    >I think they ought to offer it to anyone who bought a G5.
    Heck, I think they ought to offer it to anyone. :)
    foo Guest

  7. #7

    I just bought an Ibook Saturday...free Panther upgrade would be a nice
    thing...won't get my hopes up though.
    Jim Williams Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 2:04:55 +0100, Jim Williams wrote:
    > I just bought an Ibook Saturday...free Panther upgrade would be a nice
    > thing...won't get my hopes up though.
    Afraid it won't be free, unless Apple gets round to implementing an upgrade
    scheme, eg. get it for half price if you register a serial number.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Hutchison Guest