Professional Web Applications Themes

Win XP Pro install questions - Windows XP/2000/ME

1. One copy of Windows XP (i.e. Product Key/License) entitles you to install and activate it on one (1) computer. Each additional installation, on a different computer, requires a new Product Key. 2. Volume Licensing is designed for companies with many computers and it does not require Product Activation. However, the minimum purchase is for five (5) licenses. 3. You may install/reinstall the "retail version" of Windows XP as often as you wish, as long as it's on the same computer. Changing to a different hard drive or other hardware changes is permitted..... you'll activate Windows XP the same way ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Win XP Pro install questions

    1. One copy of Windows XP (i.e. Product Key/License) entitles you
    to install and activate it on one (1) computer. Each additional
    installation, on a different computer, requires a new Product Key.

    2. Volume Licensing is designed for companies with many computers
    and it does not require Product Activation. However, the minimum
    purchase is for five (5) licenses.

    3. You may install/reinstall the "retail version" of Windows XP as
    often as you wish, as long as it's on the same computer. Changing
    to a different hard drive or other hardware changes is permitted.....
    you'll activate Windows XP the same way as you did originally,
    usually via the internet.

    4. To install your new copy of Windows XP over the old installation,
    all that is necessary is a "repair install" procedure:

    [url]http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm[/url]

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    5. If you wish to install Windows XP on your other computers, you
    can use the same CD but you'll need to purchase additional licenses.

    To purchase an additional Windows XP license, visit:

    Additional licenses for Windows XP Professional
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp[/url]

    --
    Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

  2. #2

    In 038301c34d77$b64bbe10$a401280aphx.gbl, mcendejas wrote:
    > Several months ago I purchased a used computer with
    > Microsoft XP Professional Windows already installed. I
    > really liked the system as compared to other windows that I
    > have used in the past, but I was unable to download
    > upgrades because I did not have the product key
    > information. I want to use Windows XP for three computers
    > that I own. The salesperson as Fry's Electronics told that
    > I would be able to install Windows XP Pro on my three
    > computers only if I purchased the full version (verses the
    > upgrade).

    The *worst* way to get technical information about a computer
    product is to ask the
    sales clerk. Most of these people are paid minimum wage or close
    to it, know absolutely nothing about the products they sell, and
    even if they know an answer, are often not above lying to make a
    sale. They qualified to get the job by being able to spell
    "computer."

    I probably exaggerate a little, but not much. In this case, as
    usual, he has given you wrong information. Whether it's because
    he didn't know any better or was outright lying to you, I don't
    know for sure (I have a guess, but I'll keep it to myself). If
    you qualified for the upgrade (owned a previous version), you
    should have bought the upgrade and saved a substantial amount of
    money.

    > Now, from what I am reading in the manual and on
    > your web site,

    If you say "your" web site, you perhaps think that you have
    contacted Microsoft here. You have not. This is a peer support
    newsgroup. I am not a Microsoft employee. We are (almost) all
    users here, just like you, helping each other. This is an
    occasional Microsoft employee who participates here, but not in
    an official capacity.

    > Microsoft requires that my $300 full-version
    > Windows XP Professional software must be activated or it
    > will not be serviceable after 30 days.

    Correct.

    > I also now
    > understand that Microsoft has "volume licensing"
    > restrictions for installing this software on more than one
    > computer, but when I looked into "volume licensing" it
    > references licensing for those that need more than five
    > installs.

    Correct.

    > I plan to upgrade my used computer someday. There
    > is also the possibility that my computer could someday have
    > a hard drive crash.
    > Will I be able to re-install my Windows XP Professional on
    > a new hard drive should I decide to replace my existing
    > hard drive in an up-grade? What if my hard drive crashes
    > and I have to install a new hard drive?

    Absolutely. You can replace whatever components you need to and
    reactivate without a problem.

    > Will I be able to install my Windows XP Professional on all
    > three of my computers?

    That's the only restriction. No, you can't do that. The rule is
    one copy (or one license) for each computer.

    By the way, there's nothing new about that. That's always been
    the rule in all version sof Windows. The only thing new in XP is
    that there's now an enforcemnent mechanism.

    > Is volume licensing available for less than five computers?

    No, but you can buy additional licenses. The only catch is that
    it's a poor deal--you can almost certainly buy complete extra
    copies at a lower price from a discount source.

    > How much for three computers? Do I have to purchase special
    > software CD for this multiple-use purpose?

    See above.

    > Finally, the manual does not address installing my Windows
    > XP Pro over an existing installed Windows XP Pro. Is this
    > possible without conflict?

    Sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at here. What do you mean
    by "installing my Windows XP Pro over an existing installed
    Windows XP Pro"? Why do you want to do that? You can do a repair
    installation if you need to.

    > As it is, I am afraid to install this $300 Windows XP
    > Professional software that I have purchased, especially
    > when I have a perfectly usable version already. I want to
    > be assured that I can install this software on all three of
    > my computers

    As said above, you can *not*.

    > and that I will be able to re-install this
    > software should I ever need to.

    But that you can defintely do.

    > Thank you in advance for any of your answers, comments, or
    > suggestions.
    > Please forward your response to my e-mail
    > address below.
    > Rick Cendejas, [email]mcendejasatt.net[/email], 925-427-3013

    Sorry, no. No E-mail support. Ask here, read answers here, where
    all can benefit.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup