Professional Web Applications Themes

Window 2000 file system - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I would like to know if converting the file system from Fat 32 to NTFS cause any problem with any data file or programs of adobe photoshop, aftereffects? I have a Windows 2000 box when it was made they used Fat32 not NTFS and I would like to convert if there is no problem with any of the data or program files that Adobe uses. Thanks for repling....

  1. #1

    Default Window 2000 file system

    I would like to know if converting the file system from Fat 32 to NTFS cause any problem with any data file or programs of adobe photoshop, aftereffects? I have a Windows 2000 box when it was made they used Fat32 not NTFS and I would like to convert if there is no problem with any of the data or program files that Adobe uses. Thanks for repling.
    Nick Fooskas Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Window 2000 file system

    I can't answer for the conversion process, becase I've never done that, but I can say that photoshop and IR work fine on NTFS (under windows NT4sp6a/2000sp3 and XP Pro Sp1)
    dave milbut Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    duplicate post.
    dave milbut Guest

  6. #6

    "Nick Fooskas" <nick_fooskaswybe.pbs.org> wrote in message
    > I would like to know if converting the file system from Fat 32 to NTFS
    cause any problem with any data file or programs of adobe photoshop,
    aftereffects? I have a Windows 2000 box when it was made they used Fat32 not
    NTFS and I would like to convert if there is no problem with any of the data
    or program files that Adobe uses. Thanks for repling.

    Nope... but apparently, FAT 32 is a wee bit faster... so may be you should
    keep your PS Scratchdisk on a FAT 32 partition....

    Cheers...

    JJ

    ---

    Jay Jhabrix Guest

  7. #7

    ntfs is SUPPOSED to be faster. i haven't confirmed that personally though.
    dave milbut Guest

  8. #8

    "dave milbut" <aikodude> wrote in message
    > ntfs is SUPPOSED to be faster. i haven't confirmed that personally though.
    From what i gathered from the W2K forums was that ntfs was a tad slower but
    more reliable.... for example on an NTFS file system if the pc crashes...
    rare anyway in w2k... it doesn't start rescanning the hard disks... unlike
    W9X. But they all said it's a little slower but more file integrity.

    Cheers...

    JJ

    ---

    Jay Jhabrix Guest

  9. #9

    Well I need to convert to NTFS on the PC in question for better security purposes between two power users. So this is no problem in doing the conversion of the Drive from Fat 32 to NTFS as far as adobe programs operating and reading files made before?
    Nick Fooskas Guest

  10. #10

  11. #11

    per your other post, yes i've been running ntfs under win2k, win nt and win xp pro and ps and IR run fine on all systems
    dave milbut Guest

  12. #12

  13. #13

    It shouldn't be a problem, but whenever making significant changes like this, be sure to first back up irreplaceable files to CD or another physical drive.
    DS Nelson Guest

  14. #14

  15. #15

    Nick,

    Although on first installing WIn2k, it is possible to convert a drive from FAT32 to NTFS without data loss, that is not an option from within Win2k.

    Therefore you will need to back-up the contents of any drive you intend to convert and restore after conversion.
    LenHewitt Guest

  16. #16

    Jay,

    Please turn off the Autoquote feature in your NewsReader when accessing these (primarily ) web-based forums
    LenHewitt Guest

  17. #17

    ([url]http://www.grisoft.com[/url]).

    now can we work on this? i believe you already! you're virus free. you don't need a 4 line sig when you post 1 line of text! :)
    dave milbut Guest

  18. #18

    You should use a utility such as Partition Magic to convert your drive file system. Doing it using the Windows utility is a one-time deal - it cannot be undone - while you can switch as many times as you wish using PM.

    On my Photoshop machine, the partition that I use for the PS scratch disk is FAT32, while the other partitions/drives are NTFS.
    dennis johnson Guest

  19. #19

    now can we work on this? i believe you already! you're virus free. you don't
    need a 4 line sig when you post 1 line of text! :)

    Dave.... mmmmm

    Can't help it.... i, as you've guessed, use a newsreader... OE.... reassures
    a lot of people that mail/posts are virus free.... OK... have tried an
    option that only certifies mail with attachments.... hope it works :)

    Cheers....

    Jay Jhabrix Guest