Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows Constantly Dimming Out - Macromedia Freehand

Freehand is continuously dimming out its application window, even when I do not have any doents open. This is especially frustrating because every 5 to 7 seconds, no matter the tool I am using, the window dims, which requires you to click inside of it again to continue to work, interrupting my work flow. Working in Freehand is virtually impossible. I have deleted the preferences file, re-installed, and installed the 11.0.2 upgrade, turned off my Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security, de-installed XP service pack 2, all to no avail. I'm running a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP, on a ...

  1. #1

    Default Windows Constantly Dimming Out

    Freehand is continuously dimming out its application window, even when I do not
    have any doents open. This is especially frustrating because every 5 to 7
    seconds, no matter the tool I am using, the window dims, which requires you to
    click inside of it again to continue to work, interrupting my work flow.
    Working in Freehand is virtually impossible.

    I have deleted the preferences file, re-installed, and installed the 11.0.2
    upgrade, turned off my Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security, de-installed XP
    service pack 2, all to no avail.

    I'm running a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP, on a 3Ghz Pentium 4
    processor.

    Any suggestions? Please??!

    tugandbuster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows Constantly Dimming Out

    tugandbuster wrote:

    By 'dimming' do you mean you can still partially see the artwork or do you
    mean it flickers off and on again?

    Check your video driver to make sure you have the most recent one supplied
    by the video card manufacturer.

    Are you using high resolution raster effects? FH may be processing the
    effect, but on my machine it just pauses while reprocessing.

    Do you have very large raster images (e.g. TIFFs, JPEGs) in the file? I'm
    on a Mac, but I frequently see an on/off flicker of the FH artwork when
    tracing over large images. Reducing the size of the image in an image
    editor, or cutting the image into smaller slices will often help speed up FH
    redraw.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    By 'dimming' do you mean you can still partially see the artwork or do you
    mean it flickers off and on again?

    I mean the window that is Freehand turns gray, as if my mouse has been pointed
    and clicked outside of the program, even though no other windows are on top.
    It's like a gremlin has taken control of my Freehand. This repeats every 5 to 7
    seconds.

    I do have the latest and greatest driver for my video card installed. My
    display is on a 120 Mhz refresh rate at 32-bit color. I've changed these
    settings, all to no avail, in the past. I assumed the issue was a Norton
    conflict, but that turned out to be false.

    Unfortunately, this dimming problem occurs when I don't have a single Freehand
    doent open, as well as when I do have a doent open. It occurs when I'm
    using any and every tool available, and with no raster effects turned on nor
    with any images imported into the doent. I've uninstalled and re-installed
    several times.

    This has got to be a conflict with Windows XP. I wish I could make it stop.

    tugandbuster Guest

  4. #4

    Make sure that the driver is Win certified. Manufacturers sometimes put new drivers for download before thoroghly tested.

    My guess is that it is Win XP, FreeHand AND some other program or driver.

    However, FreeHand seem to have bugs that do not appear in every computer with same OS. For example 'autoincreased' linespacing if millmeters is used as units and any value is changed in the Object palette. Macromedia claimed that this happens in XP only but it appears in Win 2000 too. May have something to do with regional settings, which used to be a problem with every other software made in US.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest