Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows doesnt recognize flash (.swf) files ?? - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi Ive been having a problem for about a week opening flash files ( I have some flash games saved that will not open) they are all .swf files and if I click them I get a message showing windows cannot open the file as it doesnt know who created it then a list of programs I can try opening the file with, I cannot find flash player except for the .ocx files & getflash.exe in the system32 area, Its Win XP home with SP2. Ive tried unistalling a few times and using the flash remover from this site but ...

  1. #1

    Default Windows doesnt recognize flash (.swf) files ??

    Hi Ive been having a problem for about a week opening flash files ( I have some
    flash games saved that will not open) they are all .swf files and if I click
    them I get a message showing windows cannot open the file as it doesnt know who
    created it then a list of programs I can try opening the file with, I cannot
    find flash player except for the .ocx files & getflash.exe in the system32
    area, Its Win XP home with SP2. Ive tried unistalling a few times and using the
    flash remover from this site but its still got the same problem when I
    reinstall. If I go to a web site and play a flash game it will open fine but if
    I save it to my pc Im unable to open it, Hopefully someone can offer soem
    advise as Im out of idea's Its a clean pc as Its only been formatted yesterday
    and Im just starting to add programs back on, I have dreamweaver but not sure
    if thats causing some conflict, Any hel[p would be appreciated

    Thanks

    Andy

    AndyManchesta Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows doesnt recognize flash (.swf) files ??

    Solved :) Thanks
    AndyManchesta Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Andy,

    We have the very same problem as you described.

    How did you solve this problem.

    Please help us.

    Sincerely,
    Charley

    :(
    charleyjr Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Charley

    I made a mistake with mine & found out it was working the way it should, I had
    mx2004 from Macromedia on my old setup which I think is similar to the Studio
    package they have now with Dreamweaver, Flash Player/Editor and a few other
    building programs included so I was able to open the .swf files automatically
    with the flash player that comes with the mx2004 package.

    After formatting and re-installing Windows I'd forgot to add that package back
    to my system and assumed the flash player from here
    ([url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer[/url]) would work in the same way but it
    seems to be a I.E Plugin & only works when used on the Internet , I solved my
    problem by installing the mx2004 package again so now they open with the built
    in flash player but if you are receiving the same message about Windows not
    being able to open the file as it doesnt know who created it then find one of
    the .swf files and right click then choose Properties, On the "Opens With" area
    press Change then click 'Internet Explorer' and click Apply then OK . It should
    then open the flash files by double clicking them

    Hope That Helps

    Andy :)

    AndyManchesta Guest

  5. #5

    Actually I had the same oroblem and too fix that, you would have to initialize
    the program with Windows
    Navigate to the Macromedia Flash Mx 2004 folder and find the Player directory
    Open the Player directory and run the SAFlashPlayer.exe executable
    Click on Open from the file menu and run the SWF file you want to use (this
    initializes the program with windows)
    Then close the file and program, nvaigate to the directory where the SWF file
    is stored and righ-click on it and select open with
    THe Flash Plyer should be one of the options
    Select in and click on the 'Always open with this program " check box
    You should be good to now

    Hope this helps:cool;

    ZamiroXXXXX Guest

  6. #6

    I have the same problem, how did you solve it? I know others have asked you this, and I hate to bother you but this is driving me nuts. I have to have Flash work properly for my job.
    kaywalck Guest

  7. #7

    Open with Internet Explorer

    Or (if you have flash) open with the stand-alone flash player (you may need
    to find it and run it yourself once the first time only)
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest