Professional Web Applications Themes

windows domain security problems with db2 v8 - IBM DB2

We are having trouble getting domain group security to work with DB2 v8 running on Windows. This is some of the details of how I have the system set: dbm config sysadm_group dbadm syscntl_group dbadm sysmain_group dbadm My network login is a member of dbadm db2set db2_grp_lookup=domain Server Windows2000 Is not a PDC DB2 v8 (no fix packs) From all the doentation it seems like that DB2 should recognize me as a sysadm. This is not the case. Only a Windows Domain Admin or the local Administrator of the server itself are being recognized as a DB2 sysadm. I am ...

  1. #1

    Default windows domain security problems with db2 v8

    We are having trouble getting domain group security to work with DB2
    v8 running on Windows. This is some of the details of how I have the
    system set:

    dbm config
    sysadm_group dbadm
    syscntl_group dbadm
    sysmain_group dbadm

    My network login is a member of dbadm

    db2set
    db2_grp_lookup=domain

    Server
    Windows2000
    Is not a PDC
    DB2 v8 (no fix packs)

    From all the doentation it seems like that DB2 should recognize me
    as a sysadm. This is not the case. Only a Windows Domain Admin or
    the local Administrator of the server itself are being recognized as a
    DB2 sysadm.

    I am confused as to why members of the domain group dbadm (there is no
    local group named dbadm) are not being recognized as a Sysadm. Any
    insights into what is happening would be appreciated.

    Jack
    Jack Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: windows domain security problems with db2 v8

    Jack,
    Several questions spring to mind
    1) Is the userid local?
    2) When you use DB2 do you do a connect?
    3) What authorities does dbadm have?

    "Jack" <jbakermarketron.com> wrote in message
    news:13f72d37.0307211201.73f8ae6cposting.google.c om...
    > We are having trouble getting domain group security to work with DB2
    > v8 running on Windows. This is some of the details of how I have the
    > system set:
    >
    > dbm config
    > sysadm_group dbadm
    > syscntl_group dbadm
    > sysmain_group dbadm
    >
    > My network login is a member of dbadm
    >
    > db2set
    > db2_grp_lookup=domain
    >
    > Server
    > Windows2000
    > Is not a PDC
    > DB2 v8 (no fix packs)
    >
    > From all the doentation it seems like that DB2 should recognize me
    > as a sysadm. This is not the case. Only a Windows Domain Admin or
    > the local Administrator of the server itself are being recognized as a
    > DB2 sysadm.
    >
    > I am confused as to why members of the domain group dbadm (there is no
    > local group named dbadm) are not being recognized as a Sysadm. Any
    > insights into what is happening would be appreciated.
    >
    > Jack

    Paul Read Guest

  3. #3

    Paul

    1) The userid is not local, it is a network id I have DB2_GRP_LOOKUP set
    to DOMAIN to avoid looking at any local ids.
    2) I can connect to an already existing db without problem.
    3) Since dbadm is defined to the sysadm_group, I have not granted any
    explicit permissions to the group.

    thanks

    Jack

    "Paul Read" <paul-readbtclick.com> wrote in message news:<bfk3ja$h6r$1hercules.btinternet.com>...
    > Jack,
    > Several questions spring to mind
    > 1) Is the userid local?
    > 2) When you use DB2 do you do a connect?
    > 3) What authorities does dbadm have?
    >

    > "Jack" <jbakermarketron.com> wrote in message
    > news:13f72d37.0307211201.73f8ae6cposting.google.c om...
    > > We are having trouble getting domain group security to work with DB2
    > > v8 running on Windows. This is some of the details of how I have the
    > > system set:
    > >
    > > dbm config
    > > sysadm_group dbadm
    > > syscntl_group dbadm
    > > sysmain_group dbadm
    > >
    > > My network login is a member of dbadm
    > >
    > > db2set
    > > db2_grp_lookup=domain
    > >
    > > Server
    > > Windows2000
    > > Is not a PDC
    > > DB2 v8 (no fix packs)
    > >
    > > From all the doentation it seems like that DB2 should recognize me
    > > as a sysadm. This is not the case. Only a Windows Domain Admin or
    > > the local Administrator of the server itself are being recognized as a
    > > DB2 sysadm.
    > >
    > > I am confused as to why members of the domain group dbadm (there is no
    > > local group named dbadm) are not being recognized as a Sysadm. Any
    > > insights into what is happening would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Jack
    Jack Guest

  4. #4

    Jack,
    I do not have my manuals to hand but I have a recollection that the
    user/group has to have certain powers on a windows system before you use it
    as SYSADM. This is because you need to perform certain operations as SYSADM.
    If you have the online manuals you can search the Administration Guides for
    the necessary Windows authorities/privileges.

    "Jack" <jbakermarketron.com> wrote in message
    news:13f72d37.0307230647.525a9eedposting.google.c om...
    > Paul
    >
    > 1) The userid is not local, it is a network id I have DB2_GRP_LOOKUP set
    > to DOMAIN to avoid looking at any local ids.
    > 2) I can connect to an already existing db without problem.
    > 3) Since dbadm is defined to the sysadm_group, I have not granted any
    > explicit permissions to the group.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Jack
    >
    > "Paul Read" <paul-readbtclick.com> wrote in message
    > > Jack,
    > > Several questions spring to mind
    > > 1) Is the userid local?
    > > 2) When you use DB2 do you do a connect?
    > > 3) What authorities does dbadm have?
    > >

    > > "Jack" <jbakermarketron.com> wrote in message
    > > news:13f72d37.0307211201.73f8ae6cposting.google.c om...
    > > > We are having trouble getting domain group security to work with DB2
    > > > v8 running on Windows. This is some of the details of how I have the
    > > > system set:
    > > >
    > > > dbm config
    > > > sysadm_group dbadm
    > > > syscntl_group dbadm
    > > > sysmain_group dbadm
    > > >
    > > > My network login is a member of dbadm
    > > >
    > > > db2set
    > > > db2_grp_lookup=domain
    > > >
    > > > Server
    > > > Windows2000
    > > > Is not a PDC
    > > > DB2 v8 (no fix packs)
    > > >
    > > > From all the doentation it seems like that DB2 should recognize me
    > > > as a sysadm. This is not the case. Only a Windows Domain Admin or
    > > > the local Administrator of the server itself are being recognized as a
    > > > DB2 sysadm.
    > > >
    > > > I am confused as to why members of the domain group dbadm (there is no
    > > > local group named dbadm) are not being recognized as a Sysadm. Any
    > > > insights into what is happening would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Jack

    Paul Read Guest