Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows has wrong drive letter - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have a dell laptop 5150. I installed Redhat 9 and Windows XP. They both boot fine using grub. The problem is that in windows the boot drive is E: instead of C:. I have 4 partitions. The 1st is /boot and the 2nd is NTFS, which is where windows is installed. How do I fix this. thanks, Dan...

  1. #1

    Default Windows has wrong drive letter

    Hi,

    I have a dell laptop 5150. I installed Redhat 9 and Windows XP.
    They both boot fine using grub. The problem is that in windows
    the boot drive is E: instead of C:.

    I have 4 partitions. The 1st is /boot and the 2nd is NTFS,
    which is where windows is installed.

    How do I fix this.

    thanks,
    Dan

    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows has wrong drive letter

    "Dan Pelton" <org> wrote in message

    I ran into the same problem. Don't worry about it, fixing it now is just
    asking for your head handed to you on a platter, and the Windows software
    should correctly apply onto the drive of your own choice with the E:
    partition as the boot partition.

    Nico Guest

  3. #3

    "Dan Pelton" <org> wrote in message

    Actually it is probably too late to fix this problem.
    unless you really want to repair this, when there is actually no problem.

    It *may* have happenned because you made a lot of FAT/NTFS partitions, and
    then changed them to be linux ? Actually XP doesnt look at the filesystem
    type in the partition table when assigned drive letter,

    And the ext2/3, swap filesystem (dont know about reiserfs, but xfs is
    excluded) dont use or write over the first few sectors of the partition
    (because they reserve this for the boot sector !),
    and so the fat/ntfs superblock/signature is left there.

    So a way to fix this might be to install grub to the linux partitions,
    including / , /boot and swapspace
    And then install it back to the MBR (/dev/hda) if thats where it lives
    normally. grub will have wiped over the superblock.

    I think this should be considered a bug in XP actually.

    ah, well that is not a problem, leave it alone, it wont hurt.

    Leon. Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Please use the Disk-Administrator Utility to map partitions with drive
    letters of your choice.
    You must of course be the Administrator to do this.

    Regards,
    Aravindh K
    Aravindh Guest

  5. #5

    Dan Pelton wrote:
    First of all, there is no need to "fix" it. If you do "fix" it you may
    actually cause problems. I have never changed the drive letter on a
    boot partition on XP so I do not know what will happen but I do know
    that there are things that referance the boot drive letter in the
    registry that are created at install time.

    Win XP like all MS OSs asign drive letters to the partitions that it
    finds durring the boot process, primary partitions first and then
    partitions in extended partitions. So I would assume that your XP boot
    partition is the third partition that XP finds. This default behaviour
    can be overridden using the Disk Managment utility but the only time I
    would change a drive letter is before the drive is ever used.

    Charles Guest

  6. #6

    Charles LaCour <homelinux.com> writes:

    ]Dan Pelton wrote:
    ]> Hi,
    ]>
    ]> I have a dell laptop 5150. I installed Redhat 9 and Windows XP.
    ]> They both boot fine using grub. The problem is that in windows
    ]> the boot drive is E: instead of C:.
    ]>
    ]> I have 4 partitions. The 1st is /boot and the 2nd is NTFS,
    ]> which is where windows is installed.

    MS labels partitions by first labeling all primary partitions, starting
    with the first (80) disk and going up to each higher disk. It then
    labels secondary partition, again starting on the first disk and going
    up. It will label the partition as long as it recognizes the partition
    format type. Thus and ext2 partition is not counted.

    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    This is neither a problem nor a bug but the way NT (NT4, 2K=NT5.0,
    XP=NT5.1) works in allowing you to boot NT from any drive partition.
    For example, I have 2 drives with 3 partitions (eventually 4 when I get
    around to cleaning up room for Linux - or I may just pitch Win98):
    C: HD0 partition 1, primary boot, Win98 (FAT32)
    D: HD1 - data/audio-video/games (FAT32)
    E: DVDROM
    F: CDRW
    G: HD0 partition 2. Win2k (NTFS)

    Win98 can't travel about the partitions but NT can. When I boot to Win98
    I get the usual c, d, e, f but no G:. Ths keeps drive maping in the
    proper order when I flip back and forth (not uualy since most Win98
    stuff will run under 2K).

    Beowulf Guest

  8. #8

    Dan Pelton wrote:

    Assuming you didn't install the system partition on
    a FAT filesystem the 2nd is the Windows partition.
    Look in the boot.ini file, after booting up AP
    wll probably be easiest, and look at the ARC path.
    If you don't understand that go out to the
    MS web-site and search for either boot.ini or
    ARC Path.

    You don't have to.

    jmh

    jmh Guest

  9. #9

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > I ran into the same problem. Don't worry about it, fixing it now is just
    > asking for your head handed to you on a platter, and the Windows software
    > should correctly apply onto the drive of your own choice with the E:
    > partition as the boot partition.
    >
    >[/ref]

    PowerQuest PartitionMagic can fix all those issues for you on disk
    labelling - it'll get the drive letter fixed and will correct all the
    references too! I just love that utility but it has issues with resizing
    NTFS partitions, at times.

    -Mr.I-recommend-Partition-Magic

    NicK Guest