Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows iTunes Cocoa based... Hrmmm - Mac Applications & Software

There are rumors going around the 'net that Windows iTunes is Cocoa based -- basically like NeXT's OpenStep for Windows, but an updated version in-line with Cocoa today... Cocoa for Windows... Any confirmations of this? ;-)...

  1. #1

    Default Windows iTunes Cocoa based... Hrmmm

    There are rumors going around the 'net that Windows iTunes is Cocoa
    based -- basically like NeXT's OpenStep for Windows, but an updated
    version in-line with Cocoa today... Cocoa for Windows...

    Any confirmations of this? ;-)

    Liberty Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows iTunes Cocoa based... Hrmmm

    In article <M%Hgb.1696$news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Liberty For ALL! <com> wrote:

    considering itunes for mac is carbon and not cocoa, i suspect this is
    false.

    where did you see this rumour?
    nospam Guest

  3. #3

    In article <M%Hgb.1696$news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "Liberty For ALL!" <com> wrote:

    It's not likely.

    I don't know any of the details. But Cocoa for Windows would require a
    whole big library to have been ported to Windows first. It's easier to
    just build the UI with existing native tools and have it talk to a core
    engine that's as platform-agnostic as you can get. They did hire a bunch
    of QA engineers with Windows testing experience. (The rumor I heard was
    that they also had to be accepted to the Juilliard School or be members
    of the NAB with appropriate certifications in music recording and
    production. Apple really wants their QAEs to know the industry.)

    --
    Woofbert, Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
    Woofbert's Law on Learning Linux: When attempting to learn Linux,

  4. #4

    In article <071020031814112664%invalid>,
    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    > considering itunes for mac is carbon and not cocoa, i suspect this is
    > false.
    >
    > where did you see this rumour?[/ref]

    Well, the current version of iTunes, anyway.

  5. #5

    In article <sonic.net>,
    Woofbert <com> wrote:

    > Well, the current version of iTunes, anyway.[/ref]

    What reason do you have to think Apple will do a rewrite? iTunes and
    QuickTime on Windows will likely share the same base code just like they
    do on the Mac, which is Carbon.
    Doc Guest

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Doc O'Leary <com> wrote:

    > > Well, the current version of iTunes, anyway.[/ref]
    >
    > What reason do you have to think Apple will do a rewrite?[/ref]

    Other iApps were written in Cocoa from the start. Some older iApps have
    already been rewritten from Carbon into Cocoa. Apple will likely not
    develop any new interfaces for Carbon, and concentrate on Cocoa for new
    OS services.

    There's no reason for iTunes and QuickTime to "share" code. Any
    QuickTime code that iTunes needs, it can call through the QuickTime API.
    Which, by the way, is available in Cocoa as well:
    http://developer.apple.com/doentation/quicktime/Cocoa-date.html

  7. #7

    In article <sonic.net>,
    Woofbert <com> wrote:

    Uh, completely neglecting that that *is* sharing code, my point was more
    to the fact that the GUI (and other) code that exists for Windows is
    Carbon and it would be wise to leverage *that* for iTunes instead of
    widely releasing a Cocoa version of a critical application that hasn't
    even been tested on the Mac platform. Call me crazy, but that's how I
    would run a business.
    Doc Guest

  8. #8

    Doc O'Leary <com> writes:

    Actually, you can't have a Cocoa program on Windows because the
    technology is more than a programming language/technique. It is a
    language AND an integrated system of frameworks native only to MacOS
    X and NeXt.

    --
    Edward Dodge

    /Confabulation Consulting/
    Edward Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>, Edward Dodge <com>
    wrote:

    > Actually, you can't have a Cocoa program on Windows because the
    > technology is more than a programming language/technique. It is a
    > language AND an integrated system of frameworks native only to MacOS
    > X and NeXt.[/ref]

    Well, _currently_ that's the case. But OpenStep ran on Windows NT. I'm
    sure Apple could bring it back as Cocoa if they thought they had a
    reason to do so.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  10. #10

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    >> Actually, you can't have a Cocoa program on Windows because the
    >> technology is more than a programming language/technique. It is a
    >> language AND an integrated system of frameworks native only to MacOS
    >> X and NeXt.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, _currently_ that's the case. But OpenStep ran on Windows NT. I'm
    > sure Apple could bring it back as Cocoa if they thought they had a
    > reason to do so.[/ref]

    yup, there was that whole "yellow box for windows" thing ... who knows,
    while unrelrased it might be perking along somewhere.
    lefty Guest