Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Windows/Mac compatibility?

    I know that in principle Indesign is cross platform. However, before investing in it, I would appreciate hearing from people who have had experience moving files back and forth between Mac and PC for editing. Is it truly seamless?

    Thanks

    Grady McGonagill
    Grady_McGonagill@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows/Mac compatibility?

    It is truly seamless...provided that you're using the same fonts on both platform! For that I recommend OpenType fonts since they also work seamlessly across platform.

    Although I work mostly on a Mac, I'm currently working on a project receiving InDesign files created in Windows. I can load their OpenType and Windows TrueType fonts and relink their graphics, and it works flawlessly.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    May I piggy-back on this? I'm currently on a Mac, using PageMaker 6.5. The company is moving us to Windows machines, and to InDesign CS for PageMaker. Does anyone have experience with this sort of shift? As long as I archive CDs to Windows-readable, our old files should be editable, yes?
    Erica_Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You should have no problems at all. There will likely be some text
    reflow issues and you'll need Windows versions of your Mac fonts.

    If these are large projects that will only need an occassional tweak, I
    would stongly encourage you to keep a copy of Pagemaker for simple edits.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    archive CDs to Windows-readable

    Make sure that you save the files with Windows filename extensions and in Joliet format.

    [sad anecdote...]A design agency that worked for us was going out of business and they were asked to supply all of our project files on CD before they shuttered. They thought that we could only read PC-format so they created PC-format CDs using some evil CD authoring application. All of the filenames were cut to 8.3 length and I have spent the past 3 years trying to sort through them. What is '!untitle.d$$'?

    Better yet, keep all of your work on Mac format CDs and invest in MacOpener for the PC.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    We've been archiving our old customer-supplied Mac files to DVD using a G5, and one recurring theme we see is the use of "/" im Mac file names. I'm guessing that nomenclature will be one seam in the Mac/PC conversion tapestry.

    [Here's a sad slightly OT anecdote] We produce a trade magazine and probably get 10 files a month named [ourmagazine].pdf. What are these agencies thinking?

    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    "What are these agencies thinking?"

    Probably the same as the authors of the countless versions of Press
    Release.doc that I have received. Whatever happened to flair, ingenuity and
    common sense in file naming?

    Even further OT. If, like me, you receive emails with a variety of doent
    files and images, all with incomprehensible file names like X2345.jpg, and
    you want to store them in associated groups, there is a neat freeware
    program called rjhExtensions ([url]www.rjhsoftware.com[/url]) that extends the Windows
    Explorer right click menu to enable you to select a group of files and
    rename them in one action. This way you can add a meaningful first word to
    all file names so they appear together in a folder list.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Erica,

    We made the same move 2.5 years ago (albiet to ID 1.5 then 2.0). We had a
    few problems, mainly with slashes in file names, and no filename extensions
    on our linked art. We used NameCleaner to fix the filenames in batches.
    [url]http://www.sigsoftware.com/namecleaner/[/url] The UI is dreadful, but it's far
    faster than doing it manually. (BTW, in Win 2k these slashes show up in
    WinExplorer with a little dot under the filename. Our Win Server can handle
    the filenames, sort of, but the Win applications cannot.)

    Otherwise, keep a Mac or two around. You never know when some project won't
    convert and you'll have to go back and use that Mac. We've had to do that a
    few more times than we expected.

    Good Luck!

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Those agencies weren't any dumber than a Mac user who puts a / in a file
    name or leaves off extensions. They also aren't any dumber than a
    Windows user who doesn't make sure that file name characters are okay on
    a Mac.

    The fact is that there's just too many people out there that simply
    don't think outside of their own desks.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  10. #10

    "The fact is that there's just too many people out there that simply
    don't think outside of their own desks."

    You can add to the list people who send Mac-created files as e-mail
    attachments, when the resource fork is named identically to the main file
    and tries to overwrite it when you save the attachments.

    Or those who link explanatory graphics in doents and messages to local
    files, don't embed them, then send you the doent.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    [another OT...]
    > Or those who link explanatory graphics in doents and messages to local
    > files, don't embed them, then send you the doent.
    or they want to send you a TIF and therefore put it into a word-DOC...

    Uwe

    Uwe_Rottkamp@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Ken,

    The rjhExtensions ([url]www.rjhsoftware.com[/url]) software you mentioned is great. It has a bunch of functions that work for me.
    Thanks!

  13. #13

    Glad to help.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Ken,

    those tools are great for some workarounds - thanks a lot for this hint!

  15. #15

    Gosh. I've pleased two people in one day. Got to be some sort of record.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    "As long as I archive CDs to Windows-readable, our old files should be editable, yes?"

    I am a newbie. What does the above comment mean? I have PM files created on a Mac and want to open them on ID on a pc. Can this be done?
    jimmiji@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    AS long as you have the correct file extension in the name, yes. Fonts may be an issue.

    For more info, you may want to ask in the Pagemaker forum.
    graffiti Guest

  18. #18

    I've enjoyed this post. I wish some industrious (and knowledgeable) soul would jot down the top (pick a number) issues that you guys have touched on and relay how it should be done. I think it would be much appreciated and obviously a big help. Thanks.

    Gordon
    Gordon_Anderson@adobeforums.com Guest