At a primary school where I sometimes aid in the network administration we
are going to add a file server to our existing network.

Currently the network setup is like this:
WILDC01: Domain Controller running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Dual
Pentium III 866MHz 512MB ECC-RAM.
WILMEM01: Internet & mail server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server,
Exchange Server 2000 and Internet Security & Acceleration Server 2000.
Pentium III 800MHz 256MB ECC-RAM.
Around 30 member computers, all of which are running Windows 2000
Professional, with the exception of one that runs Windows 98. In the near
future a few (probably four) new workstations will be bought that will run
Windows XP Professional.

Now the servers are way overloaded. The DC is doubling as file server and
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator server, and the Exchange server is busy enough
as it is. Because of budgetary constraints (this is a school we're talking
about), server replacement is not scheduled for at least another 2 years,
probably even 3. Hence our decision to add a file server as a temporary
measure (especially because we're running out of disk space on the DC).
Again because of budgetary constraints, this server will not have any real
server hardware, just a high-end workstation. Although I don't currently
know the exact specs, it's probably going to be a Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/
Hyperthreading, 1GB of DDR-RAM, 200GB SATA disk, on an Intel 875P based
board.

I've been doing some reading, and it appears Windows Server 2003 has some
enormous performance enhancements over Windows 2000 Server, not only because
of caching and things like that, but also because of the much better support
for hyperthreading.

So I'm considering putting Windows Server 2003 on this new system. The
question is: is this smart? Are there any caveats I need to be aware of?
Remember that we cannot and will not upgrade our existing systems to 2003,
so it'll stay a Windows 2000 domain and AD.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

--
Sven Groot