Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro - ASP.NET General

Hi Jim, Thanks for posting something. This should already be posted on the home page of MSDN , www.asp.net and/or other places that it can easily be found by ALL asp.net users. Not everyone (by far ) comes to these newsgroups, and those who don't are likely to have any idea of where to begin. Is it possible that escalating the processModel to SYSTEM is a fix that is worse than the problems created by the patch? -Andrew "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...  as ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro

    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for posting something.

    This should already be posted on the home page of MSDN , www.asp.net and/or
    other places that it can easily be found by ALL asp.net users.

    Not everyone (by far ) comes to these newsgroups, and those who don't are
    likely to have any idea of where to begin.

    Is it possible that escalating the processModel to SYSTEM is a fix that is
    worse than the problems created by the patch?

    -Andrew

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    as

    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:TYPOS .... Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP Pro

    LOL

    ....are not likely to have ...
    ....cured by the patch.

    "Andrew" <com> wrote in message
    and/or
    NOT
    is [/ref]
    install
    > as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM

    >[/ref]

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Andrew,

    Right now, we're still in the stages of determining how to get the fix out
    and collecting information. All of our efforts are going towards that
    direction right now so that we can get people back up and running as soon as
    possible. We are not putting any bandwidth towards updating the MSDN Web
    site. Doing so takes more work than you might realize, and that's not the
    best use of our time right now.

    While elevating the ASP.NET process to the SYSTEM account is certainly not
    an acceptible workaround in a production environment, this issue is limited
    to Windows XP Professional. Since ASP.NET doesn't work at all without
    elevating the processModel, I wouldn't consider it as causing worse problems
    than those created by the patch.

    Hopefully you'll see some additional information posted very soon. We have
    made tremendous headway in this issue.

    --
    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

    "Andrew" <com> wrote in message
    and/or
    is [/ref]
    install
    > as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM

    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    Can some please explain how to do this?

    thanks

    Maurice Guest

  5. #5

    In your .Net framework directory, there is a a file called machine.config

    Look for the
    <processModel element , it has a userName attribute

    -A

    "Maurice Walmsley" <com> wrote in message
    news:<phx.gbl>... [/ref]
    install [/ref]
    as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM [/ref]

    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    doh! I think I once saw a description of the process of putting content on
    MSDN...not a trivial one.

    When I first spotted the problem on XP Pro, I thought it was the project (my
    "experiments" project) , so I recreated the project on my VMWare which runs
    Win2K Server.
    The VMWare is hosted by my XP Pro
    At that moment, I got the same error on 2ks (I no longer get the error)
    adding to the "project error" conclusion.
    I then used VS.Net to create a new project "ServerGoneProblem" and had the
    problem again.
    The actual project I'm working on (in the 2ks VM) was still working fine, so
    I went back to working

    This didn't jive with the XP Pro only, so I re-checked this morning and
    everything is working normally on the 2ks (VM Ware)

    :)
    -Andrew

    "Jim Cheshire" <com> wrote in message
    as
    limited
    problems
    have
    > and/or [/ref]
    are
    > is [/ref]
    > install [/ref][/ref]
    822925 [/ref][/ref]
    applications. [/ref][/ref]
    here [/ref]
    > and [/ref]
    > SYSTEM
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Andrew Guest

  7. #7

    Here is additional information and a link to a forum on this topic.

    http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-Issue.aspx

    Jim

    "Jim Cheshire" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    install
    > as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM

    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  8. #8

    John,

    There's no way that you could have determined that this was going to happen.
    This kind of occurrence is extremely rare.

    If you want details on it, visit the link I provided. If you need more
    information, post to the forum. The ASP.NET product team is monitoring that
    forum carefully.

    Jim

    "John Saunders" <com> wrote in message

    > Thanks for all the info, Jim.
    >
    > If I knew how the original Windows Update patch caused this problem, it
    > would help me in the future to evaluate whether or not to install Windows
    > Updates. I don't want to get into the habit of not installing them out of
    > fear of losing ASP.NET.
    > --
    > John Saunders
    > Internet Engineer
    > com
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  9. #9

    What should those of us do who "fixed" the problem by changing the setting
    in the machine.config to system?

    Should we change it back to machine and then run the batch file called for
    in the article?

    "Jim Cheshire" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    install
    > as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM

    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  10. #10

    Well for one thing both the articles referenced are dead WRONG. It DOES
    impact Windows XP Pro as that is exactly what happened to mine after
    applying the update.

    "Jim Cheshire" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    > install [/ref][/ref]
    822925 [/ref][/ref]
    applications. [/ref][/ref]
    here [/ref]
    > and [/ref]
    > SYSTEM
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  11. #11

    Oh yes I see windows XP Pro listed now.

    "Jason (MFT1)" <pls> wrote in message
    > > install [/ref]
    > 822925 [/ref]
    > applications. [/ref]
    > here [/ref][/ref]
    "SYSTEM"
    > > SYSTEM [/ref][/ref]
    rights.

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks Jim

    "Jim Cheshire" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    install
    > as [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    SYSTEM

    >[/ref]

    Andrew Guest

  13. #13

    Jason,

    Yes. Absolutely you should change your machine.config file so that ASP.NET
    is running as "machine". After you do that, you'll need to restart IIS so
    that the process restarts under the new identity.

    Jim

    "Jason (MFT1)" <pls> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    > install [/ref][/ref]
    822925 [/ref][/ref]
    applications. [/ref][/ref]
    here [/ref]
    > and [/ref]
    > SYSTEM
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  14. #14

    Jason,

    It ONLY affects Windows XP Pro. Both articles indicate that.

    Thanks.

    Jim

    > > install [/ref]
    > 822925 [/ref]