Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows Vista and web3D: new future for Director 3D? - Macromedia Director 3D

Windows Vista will have an API for the creation of web 3D (part of Avalon, its new GUI). It's VERY weak and we CAN NOT compare it with Director 3D. But I think that can be a "new beginning" for commercal web 3D, after the disasters of VRML, Director 3D(?), Atmosphere etc. And, it's possible that, if we have a successful web 3D using Microsoft Avalon, Director 3D will have a bigger space... Avalon3D will not need a plugin at IE and doesn't use ActiveX. BUT... only will run under Windows Vista or XP SP2. A big restriction. If you ...

  1. #1

    Default Windows Vista and web3D: new future for Director 3D?

    Windows Vista will have an API for the creation of web 3D (part of Avalon, its
    new GUI). It's VERY weak and we CAN NOT compare it with Director 3D. But I
    think that can be a "new beginning" for commercal web 3D, after the disasters
    of VRML, Director 3D(?), Atmosphere etc.
    And, it's possible that, if we have a successful web 3D using Microsoft
    Avalon, Director 3D will have a bigger space...
    Avalon3D will not need a plugin at IE and doesn't use ActiveX. BUT... only
    will run under Windows Vista or XP SP2. A big restriction.
    If you like to learn how and try to create 3D spaces, games, chat etc. using
    Avalon (beta1 now) , I wrote some tutorials having all the code available and
    demos to run. You need to install the beta of Avalon that runs at Windows XP
    SP2. Free available.
    [url]http://www.dmu.com/avalon3D[/url]

    I am not saying that Avalon 3D is better than Director 3D, but a web
    professional needs to know all the resources there are available. Remember
    that we have available, at our site, the old and "classic" tutorials about
    Director 3D at: [url]http://www.dmu.com/3dd[/url]

    Americo Guest

  2. #2

    Well, I'm waiting for oToy :)

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    > Windows Vista will have an API for the creation of web 3D (part of
    > Avalon, its new GUI). It's VERY weak and we CAN NOT compare it with
    > Director 3D. But I think that can be a "new beginning" for commercal
    > web 3D, after the disasters of VRML, Director 3D(?), Atmosphere etc.
    Hi Americo,

    I'm evaluating 3D engines for use in a web browser environment. I'm looking
    ShockWave, W3D/VRML, ViewPoint, etc.

    What is it about VRML that makes you think of it as a disaster?

    Does anyone have any input on the differences between the various 3D
    engines available today?

    Thanks,

    Tor.
    Tor Langlo Guest

  4. #4

    Like all of you I am looking for answers. Director is an Excellent tool, I love
    it but it seems only users thinks so.
    I found this engine minutes ago that maybe can help those like me in the
    journey of finding the next substitute of Director Shockwave 3D.
    [url]http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dcreator/[/url]

    Regards

    OlandoCR Guest

  5. #5

    About the VRML:"disaster": VRML exists since 1996 and, until now, we don't
    have many commercial applications using it .We can compare it, by example ,
    with the successful Flash. There are thousands of Flash application running
    on the Net.
    Atmosphere - a good tool - was phase-outed by ADOBE.
    Really we don't have a "killer tool" for web 3D. Director is the best, but
    ADOBE-Macromedia needs to invest more on it.
    A "new kid in the block" is Blink3D ( [url]http://www.pelicancrossing.com/[/url] ) - at
    alpha phase now.
    For some basic apps Microsoft Avalon 3D is the choice - for 1997. But it has
    the restriction of only to work on WindowsXP and Vista.

    Americo Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Americo,

    Thanks for your reply. Blink 3D looks promising, but how long until it is a
    stable product that can be used in real-world applications?

    I'm still confused about VRML/W3D. It seem the objection is that it never
    took off. Why hasn't it "taken off"?

    So what do you think is the best tool for my needs:

    * Application in a web browser
    * Build 3D scene containing room/closet/wardrobe in real-time by
    interpreting user's specification (width, height, wood type, basket types,
    etc.)
    * In real-time exchange objects in the scene (e.g. exhange basket with
    drawer).
    * In real-time change height & width of panel/board/shelf/door.
    * In real-time change the "finish" of components (e.g. from white paint to
    oak wood).
    * At any point of time allow user to "walk" through his "scene".

    At this point I have basically just enumerated different 3D
    platforms/engines. The next step is to evaluate these and find out which is
    most appropriate (which one makes it easiest to perform all these
    manipulations at run-time).

    Tor.
    Tor Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Orlando,

    The Right Hemisphere web site is interesting, but I had a hard time getting
    a handle on exactly what their products are doing, how stable it is, and
    how well it works in web environments.

    What makes you think this technology is the "next" Director Shochwave 3D,
    instead of the other options out there (W3D, ViewPoint, Blink 3D, etc.).

    Tor.

    "OlandoCR" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in
    > Like all of you I am looking for answers. Director is an Excellent
    > tool, I love it but it seems only users thinks so.
    > I found this engine minutes ago that maybe can help those like me in
    > the
    > journey of finding the next substitute of Director Shockwave 3D.
    > [url]http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dcreator/[/url]
    >
    > Regards

    Tor Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Tor,

    I think you mean to say VRML/X3D, W3D is a 3D file type used by Director's 3D
    engine.

    VRML was just ahead of it's time. And X3D, the successor to VRML, started off
    strong with some key alliances, especially Intel. But Intel left the X3D
    consortium (or was kicked-out depending on who you talk to). And the new U3D
    format (which directly competes with X3D and is being developed by Intel,
    Microsoft and Adobe) has all but killed X3D.

    Steve

    mockworld Guest

  9. #9

    Like I said, today we don't have any "killer tool" for web3D. Director 3D would
    be my option if I have a client asking for an web3D application. Shockwave
    plugin is installed on many users' machines because of the free games we have
    available using it.

    Americo Guest

  10. #10

    The best alternative to Director 3D is a new software called Unity. Check [url]www.otee.dk[/url]
    It has also a browser plug-in
    mdmoser Guest

  11. #11

    i think i added a comment to this engine in the past. i like the idea of having
    a easy to use game engine. but i dont think this is comparable to director and
    the 3D xtra.

    director's price is at the moment: 1.669,24 ?
    unity's price is at the moment: 999 ?

    its chaper, in terms of 3D better but you can only use it on a mac to author.
    i think this is the main reason why people look at this engine. they look on it
    with mac-goggles on. it sounds for me like this:
    [url]http://blender3d.org/cms/Blender.31.0.html[/url]

    its allways hard to talk about future versions of gameengines or 3D engines,
    but at the moment we have a solution for doing things right now in this moment
    and we can present it to people and work in a good workflow. but i think there
    is something more needed as a good athoring tool. Every webbased3D authoring
    tool will have the same problems. The consumer has to accept it. and this will
    only happen if you can find everywhere on the web some web3D content that is
    worth the time to download.
    Yesterday i asked a friend of mine to test some shockwave3D stuff for me, he
    said: " ok, wait a minute i have to download the shockwave player, i don't have
    it because i never needed it."

    to make a web3D engine popular you need content that people want to look at,
    and this is the difficult part. we need a very flexible tool that can make any
    idea work, not only 3D.

    at the moment i see not replacement for director and shockwave3D, or something
    comparable to it.

    *but please post all engines you find on the web here, its important to know
    everything that is useful to know!

    hondo3000 Guest

  12. #12

    Tor, Deep creator is just another option. It is very easy to use, I guess more
    than Director. But it is not so popular. Another nice tool is Quest3D
    ([url]www.quest3d.com[/url]), this is very powerful but I do not feel comfortable with the
    programming philosophy.
    As hondoo3000 said the idea share info meanwhile director is updated (I hope
    so).

    Regards

    OlandoCR Guest