Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows XP and Redhat Linux 9 Dualboot problem(GRUB) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a Dell 8250 factory loaded with Windows XP. I purchased a second hard disk and loaded Redhat Linux 9 on it. I was hoping to have a system where I could choose wheter to boot Windows XP or Linux. However, now when I reboot, the system freezes with a blank screen with "GRUB" in the upper left corner. The system is non-responsive. I have to use my boot diskette to boot Linux. On the Linux install, I selected GRUB as my boot loader. The default. I also wanted the default boot to be Linux. I ran into the ...

  1. #1

    Default Windows XP and Redhat Linux 9 Dualboot problem(GRUB)

    I have a Dell 8250 factory loaded with Windows XP. I purchased a second
    hard disk and loaded Redhat Linux 9 on it. I was hoping to have a system
    where I could choose wheter to boot Windows XP or Linux. However, now
    when I reboot, the system freezes with a blank screen with "GRUB" in the
    upper left corner. The system is non-responsive. I have to use my boot
    diskette to boot Linux.

    On the Linux install, I selected GRUB as my boot loader. The default. I
    also wanted the default boot to be Linux. I ran into the above problem.
    I then reloaded Linux and selected Windows to be the default. Still the
    same problem...

    Help please..............

    Steve Benton Guest

  2. #2

    > I have a Dell 8250 factory loaded with Windows XP. I purchased a second
    > hard disk and loaded Redhat Linux 9 on it. I was hoping to have a system
    > where I could choose wheter to boot Windows XP or Linux. However, now
    > when I reboot, the system freezes with a blank screen with "GRUB" in the
    > upper left corner. The system is non-responsive. I have to use my boot
    > diskette to boot Linux.
    I just recently had a problem with (an older) Dell machine and dual
    booting. Turned out a new HDD was added, but it wasn't enabled in the
    BIOS. No problem for linux, but booting from it wasn't possible this way.
    So, check your BIOS.

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  3. #3

    Eric Moors <scare.crowoz.land> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.08.29.08.26.19.405320.16256oz.land >...
    > > I have a Dell 8250 factory loaded with Windows XP. I purchased a second
    > > hard disk and loaded Redhat Linux 9 on it. I was hoping to have a system
    > > where I could choose wheter to boot Windows XP or Linux. However, now
    > > when I reboot, the system freezes with a blank screen with "GRUB" in the
    > > upper left corner. The system is non-responsive. I have to use my boot
    > > diskette to boot Linux.
    >
    > I just recently had a problem with (an older) Dell machine and dual
    > booting. Turned out a new HDD was added, but it wasn't enabled in the
    > BIOS. No problem for linux, but booting from it wasn't possible this way.
    > So, check your BIOS.
    >
    > Eric
    I updated the BIOS on my Dell to A04 (the latest for an 8250. I then
    checked the BIOS. I saw the following snippet:

    Primary Drive 0 Hard drive (selecting would show Western
    Digital 60GB)
    Primary Drive 1 OFF (selection choices were OFF and
    n/a)

    The second hard drive is a Maxtor 80GB drive(where Linux is loaded).
    When I originally installed the second disk, I was informed to boot
    off of the Maxtor CD. Once that was completed, I removed the CD, and
    rebooted. Windows XP came up and I could have sworn that Windows could
    see the second drive. I then went on to install RH9 on the second
    disk. And thus I am where I am at now.

    Does this sound like a BIOS problem, hardware insatll problem, or just
    not having GRUB configured correctly?? Thanks for any info!

    Steve
    Steve Benton Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator