Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows XP start up has a "C drive consistancy check" is this supposed to happen - Windows XP/2000/ME

recently I started my computer and I found a new screen saying that it was going to check the consistancy of my C drive. the odd thing was I have a wide screen computer which is Japanese but the message was in english and it didn't use up the entire screen (the sides were black) like it usually would. I also noticed that the Windows XP logo had no colour in it. Is this a virus or was it supposed to happen? Dan Shier...

  1. #1

    Default Windows XP start up has a "C drive consistancy check" is this supposed to happen

    recently I started my computer and I found a new screen
    saying that it was going to check the consistancy of my C
    drive. the odd thing was I have a wide screen computer
    which is Japanese but the message was in english and it
    didn't use up the entire screen (the sides were black)
    like it usually would. I also noticed that the Windows XP
    logo had no colour in it. Is this a virus or was it
    supposed to happen?

    Dan Shier
    Dan Shier Guest

  2. #2

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:34:32 -0700, "Dan Shier" <dan_shierhotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >recently I started my computer and I found a new screen
    >saying that it was going to check the consistancy of my C
    >drive. the odd thing was I have a wide screen computer
    >which is Japanese but the message was in english and it
    >didn't use up the entire screen (the sides were black)
    >like it usually would. I also noticed that the Windows XP
    >logo had no colour in it. Is this a virus or was it
    >supposed to happen?
    >
    >Dan Shier
    Dan, I can only take a stab at guessing what happened:

    At startup, an inconsistency in the file system was noted and chkdsk
    showed up to check the drive. This is a rare occurence but is by design
    and not a cause for alarm unless it starts appearing at *every* startup.
    If this starts showing up at every startup, it may be a stuck "dirty
    bit" that needs to be reset or there is a problem with the hard drive.

    The dialog may have been in English because... maybe MS never wrote the
    text used in this screen in Japanese? You can try running chkdsk
    manually to see if you get English screens again.

    To run chkdsk: Right click on any drive icon and choose Properties. On
    the Tools menu, click the Check Now button in the Error-correcting
    section. Check any of the two boxes in the next screen (first one
    checked does a 3 stage check, both boxes checked does a 5 stage check).
    When told that chkdsk "cannot run at this time..." respond with a Yes to
    schedule the tool to run at the next restart. OK your way out of the
    screens. Restart the computer.

    Addressing the display while the tool was running: At this early point
    of loading, your normal display drivers are not active. The system was
    still working off of basic VGA and was not capable of filling in the
    entire wide screen display. If your normal display quality returned once
    you were in "normal" Windows, you can safely ignore this event.

    Sharon F
    MS MVP
    [Windows XP - Shell/User]
    Sharon F Guest