Professional Web Applications Themes

Windows XP Upgrade Clean Install - Windows XP/2000/ME

I currently own Windows 98SE (upgrade from Windows 95). Was wondering if I can buy the Win XP Pro upgrade, and then install it on a newly formatted hard disk without first installing Win 98. I suppose I can, and it will just ask me for my Win 98 key? I would prefer a clean install over installing it on top of Win 98....

  1. #1

    Default Windows XP Upgrade Clean Install

    I currently own Windows 98SE (upgrade from Windows 95).
    Was wondering if I can buy the Win XP Pro upgrade, and
    then install it on a newly formatted hard disk without
    first installing Win 98. I suppose I can, and it will
    just ask me for my Win 98 key? I would prefer a clean
    install over installing it on top of Win 98.
    Brett Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windows XP Upgrade Clean Install

    "Brett" <brett.s.wilsonlmco.com> wrote in message
    > I currently own Windows 98SE (upgrade from Windows 95).
    > Was wondering if I can buy the Win XP Pro upgrade, and
    > then install it on a newly formatted hard disk without
    > first installing Win 98.

    Yes. The reuirement is to *own* a previous qualifying version,
    not to have it installed.

    > I suppose I can, and it will
    > just ask me for my Win 98 key?

    No, it will ask you to insert the Windows 98 CD, as proof of
    ownership.

    > I would prefer a clean
    > install over installing it on top of Win 98.

    Why? Although with older versions of Windows, that often brought
    better results, it's much less true with XP. My advice is to at
    least try doing an upgrade. If problems develop (which is
    unlikely), you can always revert to a clean installation.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake Guest

  3. #3

    Brett wrote:
    > I currently own Windows 98SE (upgrade from Windows 95).
    > Was wondering if I can buy the Win XP Pro upgrade, and
    > then install it on a newly formatted hard disk without
    > first installing Win 98. I suppose I can, and it will
    > just ask me for my Win 98 key? I would prefer a clean
    > install over installing it on top of Win 98.
    Yes you can, you can even use the 95 CD as long as you are doing a clean
    install. Be sure you do more than meet the minimum requirements for
    upgrading to XP before you even purchase XP; otherwise you will be very
    disappointed if you are trying to upgrade a system that originally shipped
    with W95.
    See the links below to find out if you should make the changes to your
    current system, sometimes it is more cost efficient to purchase a low end
    computer with XP installed than to try to upgrade an older Win 9X based
    system. You will probably need to replace some key hardware and software and
    the cost is not worth what your trouble and expense. If the system you plan
    to upgrade is still working with reasonable efficiency, consider using the
    money for the upgrade to purchase a new computer and network the two
    computers. You can even get inexpensive switching devices where you can use
    the same keyboard, mouse and monitor on two computers.
    After reviewing the link below and you still decide on updating the computer
    to XP, prep it for a clean install, but do the upgrade over 98 as the first
    option. When done properly, the upgrade is just as good and in the case of
    older hardware and software it is the only way to carry over drivers and
    updates. Do not try to migrate anti-virus or CD burning software from a 9X
    platform to XP, it will usually end in disaster.

    Click on or copy and paste the links below into your web browser address
    box.

    For upgrading to XP Home or Pro, see the links below.
    [url]http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm[/url]
    XP Upgrade
    [url]http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp[/url]
    [url]http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp[/url]
    See the link below for steps on performing a Clean Install.
    [url]http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html[/url]
    Known problems with XP upgrades.
    [url]http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html[/url]
    Known Problems with Clean installs.
    [url]http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.htm[/url]
    It's a good idea to download the upgrade advisor to check compatibility of
    your software and hardware. It is a large download, but it can save you
    hours of frustration.
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp[/url]

    Michael Stevens Guest

  4. #4

    Eric Booth wrote:
    > "Brett" <brett.s.wilsonlmco.com> wrote in message
    >> I currently own Windows 98SE (upgrade from Windows 95).
    >> Was wondering if I can buy the Win XP Pro upgrade, and
    >> then install it on a newly formatted hard disk without
    >> first installing Win 98. I suppose I can, and it will
    >> just ask me for my Win 98 key? I would prefer a clean
    >> install over installing it on top of Win 98.
    >
    > Provided your computer is XP capable DO a clean install. DO NOT do an
    > upgrade, the clean install gives better results
    >
    > Eric Booth
    A clean install giving better results in changing a system that was
    originally shipped with 95 but still XP capable is questionable. A system
    this old will in all likelihood have some hardware and software that cannot
    be installed or upgraded from a clean install. I always recommend doing a
    through prep for a clean install, but if the option is available choose to
    upgrade. DO THE UPGRADE! If the upgrade is a success, you have saved hours
    of time, perhaps days configuring or even getting an older system to a
    productive state. If the upgrade is not satisfactory, boot form the CD and
    do a clean install. You have the backups and drivers available for the clean
    install so nothing is lost except a couple of hours.
    --

    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    [email]xpnewsmichaelstevenstech.com[/email]

    Michael Stevens Guest