Professional Web Applications Themes

Windoze 2k Partitions - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Aloha all, I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 in "high" security mode. This is important because I didn't have the problem that I am having now when I had previously installed in "normal" security mode. The Problem: As a regular user, I can't access the Win2k partitions on my dual boot machine. I have no problem accessing them as root. I have tried changing the permissions (as root) to read access for "user", "group", and "others". This is the message I get: "chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/win_e/': Read-only file system". (I don't know if this is important but "user" currently ...

  1. #1

    Default Windoze 2k Partitions

    Aloha all,

    I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 in "high" security mode. This is
    important because I didn't have the problem that I am having now when
    I had previously installed in "normal" security mode.

    The Problem:
    As a regular user, I can't access the Win2k partitions on my dual boot
    machine. I have no problem accessing them as root. I have tried
    changing the permissions (as root) to read access for "user", "group",
    and "others". This is the message I get: "chmod: changing permissions
    of `/mnt/win_e/': Read-only file system". (I don't know if this is
    important but "user" currently has read and executable priviledges.)

    I know that win 2k is mountable only as read-only. What I can't
    figure out is why I can't change the permissions on it as I was able
    to read data from it on a previous install without having to do
    anything other than navigating to the directory I wanted.

    Any assistance (even humble opinions) would be vastly appreciated.
    Tooms Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Windoze 2k Partitions

    Tooms (<thumyhawaii.rr.com>) wrote:
    > I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 in "high" security mode. This is
    > important because I didn't have the problem that I am having now when
    > I had previously installed in "normal" security mode.
    As far as I know there is a way to change the security mode after
    installation (somewhere in the control center)
    > As a regular user, I can't access the Win2k partitions on my dual boot
    > machine. I have no problem accessing them as root. I have tried
    > changing the permissions (as root) to read access for "user", "group",
    > and "others". This is the message I get: "chmod: changing permissions
    > of `/mnt/win_e/': Read-only file system".
    To set the permissions when the partition is mounted, use the umask and
    gid parameter (see the mount man page, Mount options for fat and Mount
    options for nfs). Take a look at the parameters in your fstab.
    > I know that win 2k is mountable only as read-only. What I can't
    > figure out is why I can't change the permissions on it as I was able
    > to read data from it on a previous install without having to do
    > anything other than navigating to the directory I wanted.
    Did you change the filesystem from FAT to NTFS? NTFS write support is
    experimental and can cause data loss, so probably this is why your
    partition is mounted read-only.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  3. #3

    Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssenbigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<bh7pdi$aq$04$1news.t-online.com>...
    > Tooms (<thumyhawaii.rr.com>) wrote:
    >
    > > I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 in "high" security mode. This is
    > > important because I didn't have the problem that I am having now when
    > > I had previously installed in "normal" security mode.
    >
    > As far as I know there is a way to change the security mode after
    > installation (somewhere in the control center)
    >
    > > As a regular user, I can't access the Win2k partitions on my dual boot
    > > machine. I have no problem accessing them as root. I have tried
    > > changing the permissions (as root) to read access for "user", "group",
    > > and "others". This is the message I get: "chmod: changing permissions
    > > of `/mnt/win_e/': Read-only file system".
    >
    > To set the permissions when the partition is mounted, use the umask and
    > gid parameter (see the mount man page, Mount options for fat and Mount
    > options for nfs). Take a look at the parameters in your fstab.
    >
    > > I know that win 2k is mountable only as read-only. What I can't
    > > figure out is why I can't change the permissions on it as I was able
    > > to read data from it on a previous install without having to do
    > > anything other than navigating to the directory I wanted.
    >
    > Did you change the filesystem from FAT to NTFS? NTFS write support is
    > experimental and can cause data loss, so probably this is why your
    > partition is mounted read-only.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    As far as I am aware of you can never change permissions of FAT, NTFS
    etc. Because there is no native permissions in non-Linux/U'x systems.
    You should check your mountpoints if they need more permissions. This
    should be possible.
    /D
    Dietmar Guest

  4. #4

    Hello

    Dietmar (<dufie.org>) wrote:
    > [permissions on windows partition]
    > As far as I am aware of you can never change permissions of FAT, NTFS
    > etc. Because there is no native permissions in non-Linux/U'x systems.
    > You should check your mountpoints if they need more permissions. This
    > should be possible.
    Files on FAT partitions have no own ownership, but you can set ownership
    and permissions of FAT partitions with the mount command. You can for
    example say that you want to have the files on the partition be treated
    as if they belonged to the user group (using the gid parameter) or say
    that all files on the partition are world-writable (using the umask
    parameter).

    And I think the read-only-attribute can be used with files on FAT
    partitions.

    However changing the mountpoint permissions will not help. Example:

    sirius:/# ll -d /mnt/windows
    rwxr-xr-x 2 andreas andreas 1024 20. Jul 22:04 /mnt/windows

    sirius:/# mount /mnt/windows/
    sirius:/# ll -d /mnt/windows
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 1. Jan 1970 /mnt/windows

    sirius:/# umount /mnt/windows
    sirius:/# ll -d /mnt/windows
    drwxr-xr-x 2 andreas andreas 1024 20. Jul 22:04 /mnt/windows

    As soon as a filesystem is mounted, the permissions of the directory
    where it is mounted (the mountpoint) become unimportant. As long as the
    partition is mounted, the permissions will be those of the "root"
    directory on the mounted file system.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  5. #5

    In article <c443c53f.0308121311.2b819e59posting.google.com >, Dietmar wrote:
    > As far as I am aware of you can never change permissions of FAT, NTFS
    > etc. Because there is no native permissions in non-Linux/U'x systems.
    > You should check your mountpoints if they need more permissions. This
    > should be possible.
    > /D
    You can try to change the permissions on an NTFS drive mounted rw but
    the results are not pretty! Ask me how I know this:-)
    Louis
    ngc2419 Guest