Professional Web Applications Themes

WinXP and Mandrake 9.0 - serious harddisk problems!! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

hi, my system currently has 2 harddisks: a 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax ATA/133 as primary master a 13GB seagate ata/66 as primary slave. to begin with i had a happy installation of XP on the master harddisk, the problem arose when i installed Mandrake 9.0 Linux onto the 13gb drive, all went well until it installed the bootloader onto the windows drive. when the computer rebooted after installing linux, the boot loader asked me if i wanted to boot linux or "NT". since i had some stuff to do with Windows i booted NT, and it showed me the Windows XP ...

  1. #1

    Default WinXP and Mandrake 9.0 - serious harddisk problems!!

    hi, my system currently has 2 harddisks:

    a 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax ATA/133 as primary master
    a 13GB seagate ata/66 as primary slave.

    to begin with i had a happy installation of XP on the master harddisk,
    the problem arose when i installed Mandrake 9.0 Linux onto the 13gb
    drive, all went well until it installed the bootloader onto the
    windows drive. when the computer rebooted after installing linux, the
    boot loader asked me if i wanted to boot linux or "NT". since i had
    some stuff to do with Windows i booted NT, and it showed me the
    Windows XP splash screen. unfortuneately instead of loading explorer,
    it just stopped and gave me a BSOD. knowing windows, i decided just to
    reboot and hope that it would just go away. after rebooting, the BIOS
    does not detect the harddisk at all. i have about 4gb of stuff on the
    harddisk that i would like to backup, but the problem is, without the
    bootloader, i cant even get into Linux to try and resurrect the
    problem. can someone suggest anything to get the BIOS to recognise the
    drive again?

    it isnt critical that i get my 4gb of data back, but it would save a
    lot of hassle.

    thanks,
    marc
    `G4 Guest

  2. #2

    mjt <mjtoblerremovethis_consultant.com> wrote in message news:<pK1Pa.191$bp4.218436736newssvr30.news.prodi gy.com>...
    > `G4 wrote:
    >
    > > reboot and hope that it would just go away. after rebooting, the BIOS
    > > does not detect the harddisk at all. i have about 4gb of stuff on the
    >
    > so, you GO INTO the bios setup and it doesnt show the drive?

    [snip]

    Stop right there indeed! If the BIOS doesn't see it, you most likely
    have a hardware problem. You can't go any further until the BIOS can
    see both drives correctly. Ensure all connections are sound. Try
    different configs (one drive pri-master, the other pri-slave, etc).
    Verify jumper settings are correct. Verify cables.
    Xyerp Guest

  3. #3

    > > reboot and hope that it would just go away. after rebooting, the BIOS
    > > does not detect the harddisk at all. i have about 4gb of stuff on the
    >
    > so, you GO INTO the bios setup and it doesnt show the drive?
    that is correct. also when i boot with AUTO it doesnt detect the drive.

    > > harddisk that i would like to backup, but the problem is, without the
    > > bootloader, i cant even get into Linux to try and resurrect the
    > > problem. can someone suggest anything to get the BIOS to recognise the
    > > drive again?
    >
    > boot with CD#1 and select "boot installed system"
    > .
    i'll give that a try, thanks :-)

    marc
    `G4 Guest