Professional Web Applications Themes

Wireless access point association daemon? - Debian

I have a laptop with an 802.11b card. When I am in the vicinity of an access point (AP) I can see the AP's details by running "iwlist IFACE scan". However, in order to associate to APs with encryption switched on I need to set the encryption key using "iwconfig IFACE enc KEY". My question is: has someone written a utility that will do this automatically -- a utility that will set the encryption key according to the access points that show up in the scan? I have searched the web for a while and what I find are sniffing ...

  1. #1

    Default Wireless access point association daemon?

    I have a laptop with an 802.11b card. When I am in the vicinity
    of an access point (AP) I can see the AP's details by running
    "iwlist IFACE scan". However, in order to associate to APs
    with encryption switched on I need to set the encryption key
    using "iwconfig IFACE enc KEY".

    My question is: has someone written a utility that will do this
    automatically -- a utility that will set the encryption key
    according to the access points that show up in the scan?

    I have searched the web for a while and what I find are sniffing
    and cracking programs. That is not what I am looking for. I
    am not interesting in collecting packets and I know the
    encryption keys I need to access these networks. I just want
    a program that will automate the process of association.

    I could write this program myself. In its simplest form it can
    be done in one line of shell script. However, making the
    program work reliably would take more work. I would like to
    know if anyone has already done this work for me.

    TIA for any tips you can provide.
    --
    Thomas Hood

    Thomas Hood Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wireless access point association daemon?

    For using my Cisco Aironet 350 on my Sony Vaio laptop that goes
    between several WiFi networks using WEP I just created a script that I
    use in /etc/network/interfaces that handles the mapping for me... The
    script basically scans the network and tries to match an ESSID it finds
    from scanning to a mapping config line...

    What I end up with in the interfaces file is along the lines of:

    mapping eth1 wifi0
    script /path/to/get-essid.sh
    map ESSID-Office wifi-office
    map ESSID-Home wifi-home

    iface wifi-home inet dhcp
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_esside ESSID-Home
    wireless_key <10 or 26 hexadecimal key>
    wireless_enc on

    iface wifi-office inet dhcp
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_esside ESSID-Home
    wireless_key <10 or 26 hexadecimal key>
    wireless_enc on

    I am not writing this from the laptop at the moment so I don't
    have the get-essid.sh script handy but if there is interest I'll try to
    get it posted later...

    Regards,
    Jeremy

    On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:18:25PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
    > I have a laptop with an 802.11b card. When I am in the vicinity
    > of an access point (AP) I can see the AP's details by running
    > "iwlist IFACE scan". However, in order to associate to APs
    > with encryption switched on I need to set the encryption key
    > using "iwconfig IFACE enc KEY".
    >
    > My question is: has someone written a utility that will do this
    > automatically -- a utility that will set the encryption key
    > according to the access points that show up in the scan?
    >
    > I have searched the web for a while and what I find are sniffing
    > and cracking programs. That is not what I am looking for. I
    > am not interesting in collecting packets and I know the
    > encryption keys I need to access these networks. I just want
    > a program that will automate the process of association.
    >
    > I could write this program myself. In its simplest form it can
    > be done in one line of shell script. However, making the
    > program work reliably would take more work. I would like to
    > know if anyone has already done this work for me.
    >
    > TIA for any tips you can provide.
    > --
    > Thomas Hood
    >

    > --
    Jeremy T. Bouse Guest

  3. #3

    Also sprach Jeremy T. Bouse (Thu 24 Jul 02003 at 02:35:12PM -0700):
    > For using my Cisco Aironet 350 on my Sony Vaio laptop that goes
    > between several WiFi networks using WEP I just created a script that I
    > use in /etc/network/interfaces that handles the mapping for me... The
    > script basically scans the network and tries to match an ESSID it finds
    > from scanning to a mapping config line...
    >
    > What I end up with in the interfaces file is along the lines of:
    >
    > mapping eth1 wifi0
    > script /path/to/get-essid.sh
    > map ESSID-Office wifi-office
    > map ESSID-Home wifi-home
    >
    > iface wifi-home inet dhcp
    > wireless_mode managed
    > wireless_esside ESSID-Home
    > wireless_key <10 or 26 hexadecimal key>
    > wireless_enc on
    >
    > iface wifi-office inet dhcp
    > wireless_mode managed
    > wireless_esside ESSID-Home
    > wireless_key <10 or 26 hexadecimal key>
    > wireless_enc on
    >
    > I am not writing this from the laptop at the moment so I don't
    > have the get-essid.sh script handy but if there is interest I'll try to
    > get it posted later...
    Yes, I am interested in what you have scripted . . .

    --
    Best Regards,

    mds
    mds resource
    877.596.8237
    -
    -
    we think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .
    --

    Michael D. Schleif Guest