Professional Web Applications Themes

Wireless Card and Bootup Time - Ubuntu

I have my wireless card in my laptop and it works great, however, when I am out of range of my wireless signal boot up time takes forever. It sits and waits for the network to come up or something. Is there a way when a network connection is unavailable to have ubuntu not wait so long?...

  1. #1

    Default Wireless Card and Bootup Time

    I have my wireless card in my laptop and it works great, however, when I
    am out of range of my wireless signal boot up time takes forever. It sits
    and waits for the network to come up or something. Is there a way when a
    network connection is unavailable to have ubuntu not wait so long?
    Dominic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wireless Card and Bootup Time

    On 2006-02-08, Dominic <dgoodwinlocalhost.localdomain> wrote:
    > I have my wireless card in my laptop and it works great, however, when I
    > am out of range of my wireless signal boot up time takes forever. It sits
    > and waits for the network to come up or something. Is there a way when a
    > network connection is unavailable to have ubuntu not wait so long?
    Tis the nature of the beast. TCP operations will wait for a response. You
    think it's bad for your laptop, you should try a server that's been cut off
    from the network. sendmail, apache, ntp, etc. Everything trying to get a
    network connection and can't.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  3. #3

    I had a problem like that with my old work laptop.

    Mine turned out to be a host file problem with my vpn client stamping on
    the wireless settings. But in researching that I found this

    [url]http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75187.html[/url]

    Also see this discussion on linux format web site

    [url]http://www.linuxformat.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2027&star t=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=[/url]

    quoted fromt the above:

    "
    I added 'auto lo' to my /etc/network/interfaces file. And now it works
    allright.
    "

    Jeff
    Jeffery Michael Thompson Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:47:19 -0500, Jeffery Michael Thompson wrote:
    > I had a problem like that with my old work laptop.
    >
    > Mine turned out to be a host file problem with my vpn client stamping on
    > the wireless settings. But in researching that I found this
    >
    > [url]http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75187.html[/url]
    >
    > Also see this discussion on linux format web site
    >
    > [url]http://www.linuxformat.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2027&star t=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=[/url]
    >
    > quoted fromt the above:
    >
    > "
    > I added 'auto lo' to my /etc/network/interfaces file. And now it works
    > allright.
    > "
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks for your reply, I guess it is just something that I will have to
    live with. Small price to pay to have such a great OS.

    Dominic Guest

  5. #5

    Dominic wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply, I guess it is just something that I will have
    > to live with. Small price to pay to have such a great OS.
    Does your wireless use DHCP? Maybe look in the startup script and see if
    there is a timeout option you can pass to the dhcp client.

    I will take a poke around later when I get on my ubuntu box and see what I
    can find.

    Jim

    JimD Guest

  6. #6

    JimD wrote:
    > Dominic wrote:
    >> Thanks for your reply, I guess it is just something that I will have
    >> to live with. Small price to pay to have such a great OS.
    >
    > Does your wireless use DHCP? Maybe look in the startup script and see if
    > there is a timeout option you can pass to the dhcp client.
    >
    > I will take a poke around later when I get on my ubuntu box and see what I
    > can find.
    >
    > Jim

    You might disable it at boot and activate it when you want it on. There
    should be a config file or something you can change to deactivate it at
    boot. Something in addition, if you are really concerned about speed and
    want to spend alot of time installing you might look at gentoo linux. I
    have installed it once and I might again when I get a spare computer.
    Its cool when it works but it took me ( linux newbie ) about a year off
    and on plus many restarts to eventally get it installed. I learned alot
    about linux doing it such as the file structure. Gentoo definitly
    requires lots of patience. I am now a ubuntu user, its just easier.

    Erik
    Erik W Guest

  7. #7

    Dominic wrote:
    > I have my wireless card in my laptop and it works great, however, when I
    > am out of range of my wireless signal boot up time takes forever. It sits
    > and waits for the network to come up or something. Is there a way when a
    > network connection is unavailable to have ubuntu not wait so long?
    You might want to try loading "sysv-rc-conf" from the repostories via
    Synaptic. Then run it in a terminal. It lets you change when process
    are started. (It resets the links in your /etc/rc*.d directories) I
    moved Networking from 0,6,S to 2,3,4,5,0,6. It takes a little longer
    after login but not as long as waiting for the processes to timeout
    during startup.
    David W. Guest