Professional Web Applications Themes

Wireless Mac AND PC ???? - Mac Networking

I have cable internet (cable modem). How would I set up a wireless router, if I have 2 Macintosh's (running OS 9.2), and 2 PC's (running Windows XP). The exact room configuration is as follows: Room with Cable Modem: 1 macintosh, 1 PC Room on other side of house: 1 iMac, 1 PC Do I get a PC wireless router, and plug a little receiver dealy in the back of each computer? How would that work, if the computer in the other room is an iMac? I know my iMac has an "airport" slot, but how would that work with ...

  1. #1

    Default Wireless Mac AND PC ????

    I have cable internet (cable modem). How would I set up a wireless
    router, if I have 2 Macintosh's (running OS 9.2), and 2 PC's (running
    Windows XP).

    The exact room configuration is as follows:
    Room with Cable Modem: 1 macintosh, 1 PC
    Room on other side of house: 1 iMac, 1 PC

    Do I get a PC wireless router, and plug a little receiver dealy in the
    back of each computer? How would that work, if the computer in the other
    room is an iMac? I know my iMac has an "airport" slot, but how would
    that work with a PC wireless router? This is they type of question I
    have.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    Carl Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wireless Mac AND PC ????

    In article <com>,
    Carl Wan <com> wrote:

    That would be one solution. Note, most wireless routers aren't
    PC-centric or Mac-centric. Typically, they are setup via a web interface
    that can be run from Macs or PCs. Cards to add WiFi to both PCs and Macs
    are available from a wide variety of vendors such as LinkSys, NetGear,
    Proxim and so on.

    It will work fine. I am responding to your post on a Apple PowerBook G4
    connected via WiFi to a LinkSys router wich is connected to a DSL modem
    and the internet.

    Apple Airport is totally compatible. There are a few details to pay
    attention to. For example, if you have WEP turned on, the router likely
    hashes a passphrase differently than the Mac. So, you will likely need
    to enter the password as hexdecimal instead of using a passphrase.

    One other thing to watch for. The Airport slot in a Airport capable Mac
    cannot accept third party WiFi cards. For an Airport capable Mac, the
    antenna is built into the Mac and is not part of the Airport card. It is
    possible to use third party cards with Airport capable Macs, just not in
    the Airport slot.

    For example, with my PowerBook I could put a third party card in the
    cardbus slot and use that instead of the built in Airport card. In fact,
    if I want to upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g, this is exactly what I
    would need to do.

    --
    To reply via email subtract one hundred nine
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    Carl Wan <com> wrote:

    This sounds like a job for wireless bridging, or WDS (Wireless
    Distribution System). Get a pair of wireless routers -- or a wireless
    router and a wireless bridge -- from the same manufacturer. Put one in
    each room, with the router connected to the cable modem, and configure
    them to bridge to each other. You won't have to buy any wireless
    adapters (AirPort or PCI cards) for any of your computers, and you will
    be able to add any other devices (printers, etc) to your network with an
    Ethernet patch cable.

    I just got a pair of Buffalo products (a WBR-G54 and WLA-G54) for a
    similar purpose, and they are working beautifully. (The Buffalo products
    can also bridge to Apple AirPort Extreme base stations and can be used
    with external antennas.) Other routers, such as Belkin's, can also
    bridge to each other.

    For an excellent introduction to the world of wireless networking, see
    Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking Starter Kit:
    <http://www.wireless-starter-kit.com/>.

    Buffalo Technology <http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/index.php>

    Belkin <http://www.belkin.com>
    Neill Guest

  4. #4

    Carl Wan <com> writes:

    Just be sure you read that thread called
    Radiation from multiple 802.11's
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  5. #5

    On 31 Jan 2004 17:16:52 -0800,
    Phil Stripling (zzn.com) wrote:

    > Just be sure you read that thread called
    > Radiation from multiple 802.11's[/ref]

    Phil - you are cruel!
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

  6. #6

    In article <1g8fksq.f1qfpc1j01j44N%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    Why? It would be easier, and maybe less expensive, to get one wireless
    router, and put a wireless card in each computer--airport or airport
    extreme cards for the Macs, and whatever kind of wireless card each of
    the PCs use.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  7. #7

    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    You can get a bridging-capable, non-Apple wireless router for about the
    same price as a single AirPort card. Wireless PC or PCI adapter cards
    are still $40 or more, so the cost of equipping two Macs and two PCs
    with wireless adapters could exceed $200. And there doesn't seem to be
    much point in using wireless to connect the computers in the same room
    as the cable modem.

    While installing cards isn't usually difficult, neither is configuring a
    wireless router once you've done it for another of the same make and
    model.

    One advantage of using a pair of wireless routers solely for WDS is that
    they can communicate with each other at 802.11g speeds, even if one of
    the Macs is an older model that can't take an Extreme card. Another
    advantage is that the wireless network is only be burdened with traffic
    that needs to move to and from the room without the cable modem.
    Neill Guest

  8. #8

    In article <1g8gsr5.dj77uz2bbtd2N%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    Then don't use wireless for them. Most wireless routers also have
    ethernet ports.

    Putting wireless cards in the other two computers would be less
    expensive than one wireless router.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  9. #9

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    > Just be sure you read that thread called
    > Radiation from multiple 802.11's[/ref]

    Why in the H*** would you point anyone to JW's
    rants about 802.11x and cellphones?????
    JW is nothing more than a "Buzzzzz Word Spouting,
    selfcentered, Egotisticle TROLL" with an Inferiourity
    Complex.
    Most folks have better uses for their time.

    me
    Me Guest

  10. #10

    Carl Wan <com> wrote:

    I have the following:

    D-Link wireless router.

    Apple iBook with AirPort card.

    HP Pavilion with built-in 802.11b networking.

    All work fine -- the AirPort card detects the D-Link router, and so
    does the wireless card in the PC laptop.

    If the desktop Mac you have will accept an AirPort card, you could
    install one in it, but if not, since it's in the same room as the
    modem, just use a Cat5 cable to connect it to your router. There are
    wireless PCI cards for PC that you could use for the PC in the other
    room.
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    H.B. Guest