Professional Web Applications Themes

Wireless PCI with DSL Connection - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Greetings, I am _very_ new to Linux networking, and after having read the little bit I can find in the printed manuals and doing some web and group archive searches, I'm still grasping at straws here. I'm running SuSE 9.0, and I'm trying to set up the LinkSys WMP11 wireless PCI card so I can connect to my DSL connection from a computer in another room. I am using SBC Yaho DSL, and it shipped with a 2Wire modem (the HomePortal 1000SW). This is my first time running SuSE, so I have tried to do all of the configurations through ...

  1. #1

    Default Wireless PCI with DSL Connection

    Greetings,

    I am _very_ new to Linux networking, and after having read the little bit
    I can find in the printed manuals and doing some web and group archive
    searches, I'm still grasping at straws here.

    I'm running SuSE 9.0, and I'm trying to set up the LinkSys WMP11 wireless
    PCI card so I can connect to my DSL connection from a computer in another
    room. I am using SBC Yaho DSL, and it shipped with a 2Wire modem (the
    HomePortal 1000SW).

    This is my first time running SuSE, so I have tried to do all of the
    configurations through YaST. I configured a new wireless network device,
    and I fed in the appropriate ESSID and encryption key. I (probably
    naively) simply tried to run Konqueror after running through that
    configuration routine, and I have no activity.

    What do I need to be doing to activate the wireless connection? It's set
    up as wlan0, and I'm not sure what I need to do after the configuration to
    actually authenticate the connection and start surfing the web and such. I
    already did this on a computer running Windows XP (home edition) on a
    computer in another room, and it literally involved right-clicking on the
    connection icon in the system tray and manually feeding in the encryption
    key. It looks like I won't be quite so lucky with Linux.

    I appreciate the help.

    Jeff

    --
    Add an underscore between 'd' and 's' for email.
    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wireless PCI with DSL Connection

    > This is my first time running SuSE, so I have tried to do all of the

    Assuming that the essid and encryption key are entered properly and that
    the proper driver is loaded, you can probably get your connection up by
    running:
    dhcpcd wlan0

    Dan Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:45:22 -0800, Dan Mahoney wrote:

    > Assuming that the essid and encryption key are entered properly and that
    > the proper driver is loaded, you can probably get your connection up by
    > running:
    > dhcpcd wlan0[/ref]

    You bring up a good point here. How would I know what driver I'm supposed
    to use? And what's the easiest way to load a new driver or unload an
    existing driver? Is trial and error my best bet for finding a driver that
    works?

    Thanks again for the help,

    Jeff

  4. #4

    > You bring up a good point here. How would I know what driver I'm supposed

    That can be a challenge! What's the make and model of your wireless
    card? Oh wait, you said that - Linksys WMP11. I looked at the web pages
    and wasn't able to find any information on the chipset it uses. You
    might want to try out the Prism2 and Orinico drivers, just in case. Most
    of the cards I've looked at have used either the Prism or Hermes chipsets.

    You might want to take a look at
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ - there's a lot of
    good information there. http://www.linux-wlan.org/ can also be very
    helpful.

    If you've got the proper drivers built on your system, there's a good
    chance that the system will see it when you plug in the card. Otherwise,
    you might have to "modprobe module-name" to cause it to load.

    If you want to see what modules are loaded, use "lsmod". If you see a
    module loaded that you want to unload, use "rmmod module_name".

    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    Dan Mahoney wrote:

    You didn't look very well then. Hardware compatibility list at
    linux-wlan.org says that WMP11 used Prism2/2.5/3 chipset (works with
    linux-wlan-ng drivers and kernel source drivers), *but* recent cards are
    Broadcom (which IIRC doesn't have Linux drivers).

    --
    Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
    GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

    Timo Guest