Professional Web Applications Themes

With the new Director Release - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi Ritesh Banglani , With the new version of Director (which will contain 3d enhancements) , will the Havok behaviours (i mean the havok xtra and lingo codes that are related with havok) , multiuser xtra behaviours and 3d lingo behaviours be still supported ? Or do we have to code our games from the beginning again? I hope that my shockwave games will be able to be played in the new version of shockwave player without any changes... Can you give some information about the enhancements? If there will be some radical changes, I will stop developing new games ...

  1. #1

    Default With the new Director Release

    Hi Ritesh Banglani ,

    With the new version of Director (which will contain 3d enhancements) ,
    will the Havok behaviours (i mean the havok xtra and lingo codes that are
    related with havok) , multiuser xtra behaviours and 3d lingo behaviours be
    still supported ?

    Or do we have to code our games from the beginning again?

    I hope that my shockwave games will be able to be played in the new version
    of shockwave player without any changes...

    Can you give some information about the enhancements? If there will be some
    radical changes, I will stop developing new games and wait for the new coming
    Director release.

    best regards
    ege karaosmano?lu
    http://www.shockland.com

    shockland.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: With the new Director Release

    I can't comment on most of your questions but I will turn the question back to
    you. What features big and small would you like to see in an enhanced 3D
    feature? Anyone can add their .02 if they like. The more input the better!

    Charles Guest

  3. #3

    [q]Originally posted by: Charles Parcell
    What features big and small would you like to see in an enhanced 3D feature?
    Anyone can add their .02 if they like. The more input the better![/q]
    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/survey/games/top.asp
    Do you want more?

    AlinaX Guest

  4. #4

    I second those 3D features in the link.

    I'd rate bug fixes far above added features, especially the Z buffer and
    nVidia chipset issues and the crippling slow down when too many shaders are
    present in a scene. Please don't build further on top of a faulty base.

    I'd also love to see a full screen /res change game feature built in without
    the need for an irritating Xtra for people to risk trusting to download
    (like oToy, Virtools and a lot of other plugins have). (and fix the shadow
    map multi texture coords per vertex limitation in the w3D format).

    Also FPS relative mouse coords without an Xtra would surely be high on a lot
    of peoples lists, and not be a major job to implement?

    At least the update to DX9 without any new features is better than nothing,
    but at least we now know extra features are TWO versions away :(

    Good luck with the work though, I'm rooting for Director to claw it's way
    back level with its rivals! It is by far the best dev environment for speedy
    one man development.

    Cheers

    Richard Smith
    www.funpods.com

    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    And linux version of shockwave player.

    regards
    ege
    shockland.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hi there. I agree with in increased 3D support and performance. I love
    director and my customer base is happy with what they can get inside a browser,
    but I run into walls quite a bit with the ability to handle thousands of
    non-static 3D objects in an environment. Essentially, I have moved more and
    more into xTra programming to alleviate any performance issues I have, but I
    cannot solve all of them this way. Also, multi-platform support for UNIX,
    Linux, Mac, etc... would be beautiful. The number one biggest problem I have
    getting by in for Shockwave usege in my customer base is, believe it or not, no
    UNIX support.

    Thanks for reading,
    Dave

    Sonic2004 Guest

  7. #7

    I would like to see Driector 3D have the ability to use the .x file format. Or atleast something that Blender3D can export to.
    :D

    raschko Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, I have a huge Director?s 3D wish list:

    -Better collision system (collision detection and collision response separated)
    -Interface to use openGL or DirectX API?s within Director`s coding enviroment
    -3D cast members save command (I hate rebuild any 3D World every time,
    fileSaveMode doesn?t work)
    -Integrated animated textures (no more imaging lingo)
    -Normal maps for lightning, render and model data
    -Integrated physics system
    -Bump, specularity, displace, reflection, self-illumination, transparency,
    glossiness, and so on texture maps
    -Access to 3D buffers for image post-processing (Front, back, z, stencil,
    color, and so on)
    -Vertex morph maps or any kind of efficient vertex displacement feature
    --Robust user system information (hardware graphics capabilities)
    -Interface to write vertex and pixel shaders programs with the High-Level
    Shading Language (HLSL) within Director
    -Improved Shockwave 3D exporter from Lightwave with more options
    -Shadows!!! Any kind of shadows!!!
    -Global illumination
    -Stereoscopic render for virtual reality applications (no more 2 camera sets
    to work with the eMagin Z800 HMD)
    -A better implementation of modelsUnderRay command (more performance)
    -Integrated 3D property?s palette (no more 3DPI even it is great!!!)
    -Resource, model, texture, uv?s, shaders, etc. visualize windows or edit
    palettes
    -Export W3D files (objects, textures, motions, etc.) to .lwo, .x, .obj, .3ds,
    ..max, .bvh, .png, etc, from Director (no more W3D file hacking when source 3D
    files are missing)
    -Better particle system
    -Integrated 3D sound system
    -Integrated 3D event queue system
    -Better 3D rotations (no more gimbal lock issues, 360 degrees? quaternion
    rotations is the key!!!)
    -Support for GUI inside a shockwave3d cast member (not just overlays: buttons,
    animations, video, text, scrolls, and so on)
    -Video graphics memory callbacks (could be good to know the time it takes to
    uploading textures to video graphic memory, not just a screen freeze)
    -What about directInput or openAL interfaces? (no more Xtras)
    -Stable polygon-vertex count from 3D application to shockwave3d File format
    (is a most for shadow maps!!!)
    -FPS, CPU usage, Polygon count gizmos!!!
    -Integrated parametric animation values (sin, cosine, circular, TCB, hermite,
    spline, bezier, parabolic, constant, stepped, linear, formula, oscillate,
    repeat and so on!!!)
    -Hard & Soft bodies system
    -3D Timeline???
    -More, much more 3D lingo commands!!!
    -In fact this list[:] could be endless, here I mentioned a few ones!!!!

    Ok, ok, ok, is just a dream?. ?but dreams come true!!!

    Thanks a lot to Director`s Development Team for let me play and enjoy with
    this powerful tool since 1993 (aka Macromind`s Development Team). You?re the
    best!!!

    DAVID Guest

  9. #9

    Wouw great list...

    btw: exporter for 3Dmax... well should be added again... and upgraded ofcourse!
    director Guest

  10. #10

    Allowing us to use W3D cast memeber instances in non-DTS mode without a
    performance hit would be great.

    That way, we could integrate SW3D elements in our 2D work (ie. paritcles,
    sprites). Plus, we would be able to layer 2D elements and even SWF instances
    over he 3D for HUD-type stuff.

    MartyPlumbo Guest

  11. #11

    I would love to see linux support, since one of my contracts just changed their user platforms.
    raschko Guest

  12. #12

    I think Adobe should make a 3D physics Xtra using the FREE Aegia physics
    engine. It is better than Havok, is free, will support hardware physics cards.
    It is what they are using in Unity3D, your competition.

    Jmvr Guest

  13. #13

    >I think Adobe should make a 3D physics Xtra using the FREE Aegia physics
    engine. It is better than Havok, is free, will

    The ageia physics in Unity does not support a lot of things, for the moment
    havok is better implemented into shockwave then ageia into unity.

    I work at the moment on a project which uses multiuser, havok (collision
    between irregular meshes), creating things on the fly (dynamic scenegraph),
    being able to link 3D files dynamically to the engine and using flash-elements.

    Unity is for the moment a tool to create nice visualFX (if the grafic card can
    display them), the rest will need some more time to be usable to do different
    kinds of projects. At the moment i have not the time to wait until unity is on
    the same level as Director and i don't have the money to buy a mac just to
    sneek into mac-only (if i would have the money i would do it :) ).

    rashko:
    their user platform.
    This would make Director a killer-App.

    For the moment more performance on MacOSX and Vista are the most important
    things. (the shockwaveplayer got an update to work better under vista version:
    Shockwave 10.2.0.021).

    hondo3000 Guest

  14. #14

    I agree.
    Would be best to work on the major platforms first; Not that Linux isn't popular.

    One can dream though! :D
    raschko Guest

  15. #15

    [q]Originally posted by: raschko
    I agree.
    Would be best to work on the major platforms first; Not that Linux isn't
    popular.[/q]

    Would be best if Adobe is able to solve all the current shockwave plugin bugs
    first of all.
    Windows Vista, until its first (or second !) service pack is not a viable
    option.
    Linux users doesn't represent almost anything.

    We need a very stable plugin and DX9 support. I think that's all for this year.

    AlinaX Guest

  16. #16

    Linux users do represent a percentage of the population striving for an open
    source alternative to windows or atleast the Mac os. Yes, it would seem small
    when compared to other operating systems.. but it is a number none the less.

    raschko Guest

  17. #17

    Hi, don't know if someone's mentioned it but better interactive Flash texture
    integration (so that the actionscript in the original flash file doesn't have
    to be modified ie. AS directly applied to buttons with on Release instead of
    having to put what_btn.onRelease = function () {} in the main timeline).
    Thanks.

    aroth21 Guest