Professional Web Applications Themes

Won't save file because it is supposedly Read Only - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I had a similar problem in adobe acrobat, until it was pointed out to me that if the preview window in windows explorer is open, and if you then use windows explorer to browse to the pdf and double click to open it, in some instances it will lock the file from being able to be written to. Closing the windows explorer preview window solved this problem in adobe acrobat for me. May be the illustrator problem is similar....

  1. #21

    Default Won't save file because it is supposedly Read Only

    I had a similar problem in adobe acrobat, until it was pointed out to me that if the preview window in windows explorer is open, and if you then use windows explorer to browse to the pdf and double click to open it, in some instances it will lock the file from being able to be written to. Closing the windows explorer preview window solved this problem in adobe acrobat for me. May be the illustrator problem is similar.
    Unregistered Guest

  2. #22

    I ran into this same issue with the Save File message. I looked at the file properties and the read-only was not selected. I found that by opening Adobe Acrobat X Pro first, then loading the file, I could save a changed file without the "Read-Only" file protection message. Previously, I was opening the file just by selecting it in Windows Explorer.
    Unregistered Guest

  3. #23

    Smile Won't save file because it is supposedly Read Only

    I had this same problem. Click off the file from which you opened it from (so its not highlighted any more) then click back into illustrator and save. Should work[/QUOTE]

    Thank you so much. This solved the problem for me.
    Unregistered Guest

  4. #24

    I have the same problem however, I am working ONLY with Adobe Acrobat X, I am trying to save to the same folder, and I want it to write over the original file.
    Unregistered Guest

  5. #25

    Angry Re: Won't save file because it is supposedly Read Only

    I have the same problem with Acrobat X Standard and have tried all these steps and it still doesn't let me save (Windows 7 Pro operating system) and it really is a pain, Acrobat should be figuring out the fix for this along with Microsoft or any other companies.
    Unregistered Guest

  6. #26

    FYI - Turning off the preview window in Win Explorer has been a permanent fix for me, but closing the Explorer window (with Preview pane enabled) after opening the file also works (but this can be hit or miss). See if that works for you. I just did this and I haven't had the error message after opening a few doents. We'll see how that works tomorrow though.

    I'll just NOT use the preview pane from now on, I guess.
    Unregistered Guest

  7. #27

    Some complications here.
    To save read only files from CD , transferred from old comp, is a matter of where to save.
    Saving Adobe files, for instance in Adobe folder, they will not work in-for instance Flash6.
    When reading the CD, for instance H drive on new comp, use the arrow in url box and migrate to C: drive.
    Go to near bottom of folders and find users. Choose John Doe, your comp, your network.
    Save it there.
    Now it loads and works fine in Flash6. Saves, previews etc.
    You can't save in Adobe folder, apparently because it's a Network (pujblic) folder.
    Go to your own name and your own comp.
    I dlon't know how to get around read only files otherwise.
    Un-checking read only before burning on CD does no good.
    Save off Network on your name of comp.
    lymanal is offline Junior Member
    Apr 2013
    Location