Professional Web Applications Themes

Word alternatives? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, Just got an OS X machine and am interested in Word alternatives which are still compatible with my current word docs. Any ideas for specific programs which can read word docs and whose docs word can read? Mike...

  1. #1

    Default Word alternatives?

    Hi,

    Just got an OS X machine and am interested in Word alternatives which are
    still compatible with my current word docs. Any ideas for specific
    programs which can read word docs and whose docs word can read?

    Mike
    Michael Steiper Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Word alternatives?

    On 9 Jul 2003 13:50:42 GMT, Michael Steiper <steiperfas.harvard.edu> has writ:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got an OS X machine and am interested in Word alternatives which are
    > still compatible with my current word docs. Any ideas for specific
    > programs which can read word docs and whose docs word can read?
    You can install antiword, which will convert Word docs to plain text and to
    postscript (which you can then convert to pdf); this is a fast and
    convenient solution for seeing a fair approximation to the original, and is
    especially well suited for looking at Word email attachments (since so many
    people don't know any better than to email these): just specify antiword
    in your mailcap file (if you're using a mature unix mail reader such as Mutt).

    For both reading and creating Word files without using Microsoft programs, I
    understand that OpenOffice works on OS X now, but I don't have any experience with
    that.

    Lee Phillips Guest

  3. #3

    Davoud wrote:

    > Lee Phillips:
    > > Word email attachments (since so many
    > > people don't know any better than to email these):
    >
    > *****
    >
    > Since Word is the most widely used word processer in the solar system,
    > why should people know better than to e-mail Word doents?
    E-mail doents via the internet, that is.
    Ascii text is the standard, and the preferred text generation choice for
    transmitting plain text over the internet.
    If you want to send formatted and manipulated text via email to an
    individual, no problem. Use Word or whatever else you want. But, for the
    most generally used, and easiest to pass all the manipulation the
    internet gives text messages, it's best to use ascii.
    > I send and
    > receive MSWord doents to both Mac and 'Doze users every day in the
    > course of my business; I couldn't conduct my business without doing so.
    > These folks (me included) don't want doents that need to be
    > converted or otherwise processed before they can be read.
    Plain text (ascii text) messages don't HAVE TO be converted.
    If everyone you send messages to uses MS Word, then fine, there's
    literally no way the text will get all garbaged up in the sending and
    receiving of it.
    But, if you're more or less broadcasting messages to persons with any of
    a dozen or more operating systems, computers and text reading
    applications, who reside in various countries, the sole most trustworthy
    method is ASCII text.
    > This is not to suggest that person who have no need to share doents
    > with the world at large should use Word; I sometimes run Nisus in
    > Classic for my own purposes, e.g.
    >
    > Davoud
    keith whaley
    Keith Whaley Guest

  4. #4

    In article <slrnbgpj87.2pe.leelee-phillipss-computer.local>,
    Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    > For both reading and creating Word files without using Microsoft
    > programs, I understand that OpenOffice works on OS X now, but I don't
    > have any experience with that.
    I've also had some positive experiences with Mariner Write, which can
    now open [some] Word doents directly -- it works for me on docs
    created by Word 2001, but not docs created by Word 5.1a. I've only used
    this in System 9, but I'm pretty sure there's an OS X version as well.

    --
    Tad Davis
    [email]taddavisucwphilly.rr.com[/email]

  5. #5

    Footnote to my previous message: Mariner Write can also open doents
    that were created by Word 97 on a Windows platform. Haven't tried it
    with any other versions. It doesn't support Word's "section" construct
    (or index or TOC entries), but otherwise it seems to do a good job of
    translation.

  6. #6

    Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

    I installed X11 and OpenOffice. So far, I like it, after dealing with one
    or two issues (symbol font & page layout). In fact, I really like it a
    lot. The next issue will be how OpenOffice's Keynote/Powerpoint progra,
    works. I was originally excited for Keynote, but heck, the price is right
    on the OO one.

    An interesting site with some of these things cataloged (as well as other
    sciencey programs, like for stats): macscience.net

    Thanks again,
    MS
    Michael Steiper Guest

  7. #7

    Davoud <starsky.net> wrote:
    > Since Word is the most widely used word processer in the solar system,
    > why should people know better than to e-mail Word doents?
    Security and Microsoft's great innovation, cross platform macro virues.
    MS Word does not save the doent as a formatted file, but as the
    machine state. This can include a lot of information that you won't see
    in Word, but anyone with a simple text editor or other word processor
    can see. A lot of things have shown up in some of these doents.

    Ross Bernheim

    Ross Bernheim Guest