Professional Web Applications Themes

Word Processor? - Mac Applications & Software

I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes. (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.) I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this thing to address an envelope for me. And I'm getting tired of the lack of concern from the mighty M$ organization. So if you could point me towards some basic, simple little word processor, I'd be grateful... (I wish that Word Perfect would run on OS X...) Thanks, folks. HR....

  1. #1

    Default Word Processor?

    I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes.
    (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.)

    I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this
    thing to address an envelope for me. And I'm getting tired of the lack
    of concern from the mighty M$ organization. So if you could point me
    towards some basic, simple little word processor, I'd be grateful...

    (I wish that Word Perfect would run on OS X...)

    Thanks, folks.

    HR.
    Rowbotth Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Word Processor?

    In <rowbotth-0563B9.09123430062003news.telus.net> Rowbotth wrote:
    > I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes.
    > (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.)
    >
    > I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this
    > thing to address an envelope for me.
    Envelopes and labels are a fairly specialized task. What I do is use a
    word processor for word processing (i.e. writing and printing a letter)
    and an address program for address printing (i.e. labels and envelopes).
    Perhaps you might consider that alternative. Just look for an address
    program; there are several of them. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  3. #3

    Rowbotth <rowbotthtelusplanet.net> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes.
    > (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.)
    >
    > I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this
    > thing to address an envelope for me. And I'm getting tired of the lack
    > of concern from the mighty M$ organization. So if you could point me
    > towards some basic, simple little word processor, I'd be grateful...
    >
    > (I wish that Word Perfect would run on OS X...)
    Go to VersionTracker <http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/> or
    MacUpdate <http://www.macupdate.com/index.php?os=macosx> and do a search
    on "label" and "envelope". For envelopes, I prefer Envelope Window.
    Neill Massello Guest

  4. #4

    Ian Oliver wrote:
    > I expect there's an option to switch it off somewhere in the
    > destructions. But I can't find it. Honestly. Has somebody managed to
    > disable this 'feature'?
    Just Undo it. I believe that if you Undo frequently enough in the
    doent, Word stops doing it. Although I'm not entirely sure of this in
    the Mac version. There might be an option for it in the AutoCorrect
    settings.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    Steven Fisher wrote:
    > Just Undo it. I believe that if you Undo frequently enough in the
    > doent, Word stops doing it. Although I'm not entirely sure of this in
    > the Mac version. There might be an option for it in the AutoCorrect
    > settings.
    Thank you kindly, sir.

    Ian Oliver Guest

  6. #6

    Rowbotth wrote:

    > I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes.
    > (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.)
    >
    > I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this
    > thing to address an envelope for me. And I'm getting tired of the lack
    > of concern from the mighty M$ organization. So if you could point me
    > towards some basic, simple little word processor, I'd be grateful...
    >
    > (I wish that Word Perfect would run on OS X...)
    >
    > Thanks, folks.
    >
    > HR.
    You have gotten several answers about doing it in Word, which can be
    made to work.

    For a simple, elegant and inexpensive solution, Appleworks does this
    beautifully.

    Put your address list in an Appleworks database. You can import the data
    from a variety of other types of files.

    Use the AW database to generate labels and envelopes. They are simply
    different layouts of the database. Use the AW word processor to generate
    your letters. If you want to do mail merge letters, that is very easy
    and straightforward using the data from the AW database with the letter
    in an AW word processing doent.

    AW is easy to use and does not force automatic features on the user the
    way that Word does.

    Taken together, AW is for many purposes better than MS Office and
    certainly far better than MS Works. Each individual doent type (word
    processing, spreadsheet, database, drawing, etc) lacks some of the
    high-end features that Word, Excel, Filemaker, Access, Pagemaker,
    PowerPoint, etc have, but as an integrated suite with overall excellent
    capabilities, AW is hard to beat.

    Appleworks comes installed with "consumer" Macs (iMac, eMac and iBook).
    I think the retail price is something like $80 US.

    Bill
    B Collins Guest

  7. #7

    Use HyperCard. Create a simple database stack that contains the
    data and use HyperCard's reports feature to print labels and
    envelopes. You can contact me off-list if you need help with
    that (europe[a]ihug.org).

    Mark

    Rowbotth wrote:

    > I'm looking for a word processor to do letters, labels and envelopes.
    > (I don't need charting or any thing ike this.)
    >
    > I have M$ Word as part of the Office X Package, and I cannot get this
    > thing to address an envelope for me. And I'm getting tired of the lack
    > of concern from the mighty M$ organization. So if you could point me
    > towards some basic, simple little word processor, I'd be grateful...
    >
    > (I wish that Word Perfect would run on OS X...)
    >
    > Thanks, folks.
    >
    > HR.
    Mark Guest

  8. #8

    Ian Oliver wrote:
    > Steven Fisher wrote:
    >
    >> Just Undo it. I believe that if you Undo frequently enough in the
    >> doent, Word stops doing it. Although I'm not entirely sure of this
    >> in the Mac version. There might be an option for it in the AutoCorrect
    >> settings.
    >
    > Thank you kindly, sir.
    I'm sorry it's a bit vague/useless, but hopefully it'll get you going in
    the right direction at least. :)

    Steven Fisher Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 3:43:13 +0100, Rowbotth wrote:
    > So now you knwow why I'm looking for something
    > like the Word Perfect that I used
    > so happily and effortlessly ever since about MacOS 7.1 or so. (And that
    > M$ killed off and which is not going to be of any use with OS X.)
    IMHO the best word processor was MacWrite Pro, which has so many logical and
    useful features that I long for in other software (and no bloat). It even
    followed Apple's Human Interface Guidelines, which is something that
    AppleWorks certainly doesn't do.

    I seem to remember it was Apple who killed MacWrite off.

    Martin

    Martin S Taylor Guest