Professional Web Applications Themes

Word styles: Good or Bad to use thing - Adobe Indesign Windows

I know InDesign can use styles. I have a choice of placing text in from Word that has Word-built-in styles or placing normal text from word. Which will work better and why?...

  1. #1

    Default Word styles: Good or Bad to use thing

    Janet_A._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Word styles: Good or Bad to use thing

    It all depends on how disciplined your Word users are/were.

    If they have done a good job of applying styles to the text then you will be saved a lot of work reapplying styles; all you would have to do is redefine them to suit your needs.

    However, disciplined style users are relative few and far between, so it might indeed be more efficient to wipe out those Word styles and start over.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If the Word file came from a one in a million user that actually knows
    how to use Word styles, by all means use them.

    IME, most Word users are not trained well enought to do anything but
    highlight text and change it manually, leaving you with a doent with
    all the text styled as Normal with manual overrides.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, guys! So, I would simply place the text and the styles would be there "styled"...I wouldn't need to do anything else? Sorry to be so basic.
    Janet_A._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, the Word styles will be imported provided that you didn't already have styles of the same name in your doent.

    To say that "you wouldn't have to do anything else" is rather open ended. InDesign styles are more capable, more subtle than those of Word, so you will either need to visit the style definitions and address those subtleties or accept the defaults that InDesign provides.

    You're probably also wise to change the name of the Word Normal style because having it around can cause problems downstream.

    I suggest you peruse the Help system and read about importing Word doents. It addresses the issue of style importing fairly thoroughly because unlike Bob and me, the writer seems to think that Word users know what they're doing. In fairness, two of my clients do a great job of styling their Word doents, the others wouldn't know a style if it hit them in the face.

  6. #6

    I use a style-based workflow for laying out complicated multi-page
    doents with text originating in Word. For bold and italic, local
    formatting works just fine.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the insight and candor. You all are great to share your vast knowledge. I'm a learnin!
    Janet_A._Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest