Professional Web Applications Themes

Word Styles Replacing My ID Styles - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello everyone, I Thought This Was Discussed Here in The Past But I Ran a Search for "Word Styles" and Found Nothing Related. I Send Doents to Translation Service Providers and They Do All The Typesetting In Word. They Take The Text From Word and Put it Into ID Somehow and When They Send Me Back My ID Files They Seem to Be Slightly Different. What Can I Tell Them to Do to Prevent Word Styles From Replacing My ID Styles?...

  1. #1

    Default Word Styles Replacing My ID Styles

    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Word Styles Replacing My ID Styles

    Gabriel,

    If the naming of the Word styles is _exactly_ the same as the naming of the ID style, your ID style should substitute for the Word style when the file is "placed" into ID. If the naming is even a little different, the Word style will be imported as a new style in ID and will carry (for the most part) any idiosyncracies which make the Word style different. This would still be OK if your ID "typesetters" then did a search-and-replace to substitute your desired ID styles. Sounds like the naming was somewhat different and that the S&R didn't get done.

    I'm not claiming omniscience on this one. I just noticed you still hadn't gotten a reply and so thought I'd clue you in to what seems to be working for me as I strive to get ID style consistency from my imported Word files. Hope this helps.

    (Oh, by the way: I'm running IDCS under XP. If you're running an earlier version of ID, perhaps that could be the source of your problem? It seems I used to have a much harder time with this process before upgrading from ID 2.1-ish.)

    Dharmamitra
    Kalavinka@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The other issue that crops up when doing this is that the vast majority of Word users know squat about using styles, so all their text comes in with local styling and sometimes even with character styles applied to whole paragraphs.

    The result can be that an imported doent can look as though it ignored the ID styles. In fact, it didn't, it's just that the text had an overwhelming amount of local and/or character styling applied to it.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    their text comes in with local styling and sometimes even with character
    styles applied to whole paragraphs.

    Something like that.

    What Can I Tell Them to Do to Prevent Word Styles From Replacing My ID
    Styles?

    I re-read my first post and it's not very clear. Sorry, I should have been more clear, no wonder no one helped.

    BTW, I am also on ID CS on Win XP Corp SP1.

    I think my major problem here is I have created new styles that I'd like to start using on all new projects from now on. They are working off of older manuals that were created in PM. When they (I don't know) export the text from PM to Word they're using those old styles from the PageMaker file. Some of the new styles I've made include Nested Styles, Custom Bullet lists, colors and some of the names of the styles have changed.

    I also wrote...

    They Seem to Be Slightly Different

    Well DUH! They are not the same styles anymore. LOL

    So now my question is, what should I do or say so they could convert the PM/Word styles to the new?

    Thank you,
    Gabe
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Gabriel,

    Again, I don't think you're going to get a happy result until you make dead certain that the naming of styles in Word is _exactly_ the same as the desired end-result style in ID. Also, you're doent template in ID must _already_ contain your desired target styles _before_ you place the files.

    Also, the local styles such as italics, bold, etc. have to be pre-defined as consistently named character styles inside of Word (emphasis, strong, etc.). Again these character styles have to already be in your ID doent template.

    So the bottom line is that if you want a happy result you've got to do a lot of prep work in Word. Once you've got genuinely parallel templates in Word and in IDCS, your satisfaction factors will go up markedly.

    Good luck,
    Dharmamitra

    * ***********
    Kalavinka@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Have you considered exporting an RTF doent from your correctly set up InDesign doent so that the styles in it can now be used in Word.

    You're still going to be faced with the problem of the Word users needing to know how to use your styles.

  7. #7

    I just paste in the text and alt+click to apply my chosen INDD style. Then at the end I delete all the unused styles.

    I may try giving clients a formatted word template but I doubt my bankers are going use it correctly. Sigh.
    Teresa_Halbrehder@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > You're still going to be faced with the problem of the Word users needing
    to know how to use your styles.

    This publisher had a neat example of such a Word doc, at
    [url]http://oreilly.com/oreilly/author/ch02.html#tools[/url]

    Near the bottom there's a link to a Word doc that's loaded with styles and
    instructions how to use them, I presume it's designed to do exactly what you
    need, Gabriel. The link to the doc looks broken right now, but I have a copy
    of it somewhere...I thought this was a great idea and stashed it away.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    [email]JohnOadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in
    news:A248646333E2E8F948870D031304666Ein.webx.la2e afNXanI:
    > Near the bottom there's a link to a Word doc that's loaded with
    > styles and instructions how to use them, I presume it's designed
    > to do exactly what you need, Gabriel. The link to the doc looks
    > broken right now, but I have a copy of it somewhere...I thought
    > this was a great idea and stashed it away.
    I would very much like a copy of this template doent also. If you
    find it, it would be great if you could either post it somewhere
    accessible, or e-mail it to [email]mnitabachacedsl.com[/email]
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Have you considered exporting an RTF doent from your correctly set
    up InDesign doent so that the styles in it can now be used in Word.

    No but it sounds like a great idea. I will try doing just that and see how it works out. It can't be any worse than what I am getting from them now.

    I got an e-mail from one of our branches in Germany and after reading it, I feel like choking someone!
    ---------------

    The e-mail said:
    Our translator suggests now to translate everything and to put the text with all drawings into ms-word (and also pdf).
    That means that you must not create a pagemaker-file what saves a plenty of working hours for you.
    The translator gave us an example how the new manual would look like. Please inform me whether this is acceptable for you.

    ---------------
    First of all, we have not been using PageMaker for our manuals here for MONTHS! Goes to show how much they know about our work.

    I looked at the example and it doesn't exactly look like our manuals to me.

    What do I have to do to make these people realize Word is meant for word processing. It is by no means a high-end graphic intensive book or page layout publishing application!
    <sigh>

    By the way, I couldn't get in that link you posted JohnO.

    Thank you all
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Dave,

    There is no option in the Export dialog to export the doent as a RFT. There is only PDF, EPS, InDesign Interchange, JPG, SVG, SVG compressed and XML.

    I also tried doing a Save As and the option is still not available.

    How do I export to RTF? I'm stupefied! %D

    TIA,
    Gabriel Ayala
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Click in a story before exporting. It only exports one story at a time to RTF.

  13. #13

    Whew! Good thing I threaded all the frames in each chapter of the book so it's all in one story.

    Thanks Dave.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    > By the way, I couldn't get in that link you posted JohnO.

    I've been out of the office a couple days, but I did find the doc stashed
    away. What's your e-mail addy? (Mike...the file is in the mail now)