David Chinell wrote:
> This is a very general suggestion, but the printer may have
> a built-in version of Times New Roman with different
> character mapping. Can you check to ensure that the TT font
> is not being subbed for a built-in printer font?
>
> Bear
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think its a long shot.

When printing through the PDF printer using the exact same
fonts and test string I found garbled text with MS Word and
Open Office, but not PageMaker 7.

If it were a printer driver issue, then I would expect garbled
text from any application printing to the PDF printer using TT TimesNR
fonts + bold + underline.

Unless/until I figure this out I'm working around the problem
by using Adobe TimesNR which renders as expected from every application
I've tried so far.