Professional Web Applications Themes

WordPerfect for OpenServer - SCO

I may have posted this a year or so ago but still have clients who would benefit from the final WordPerfect release for Unix. They need to do merge letters and right now the only way to do that easily is to export the desired fields from a Unix package, move them to Windows, and do the merge with MS Word. There is a used software company which has the package from time to time but he says he simply destroys all WP Unix packages he gets because he is afraid of lawsuits from Novell. I checked with Novell, SCO, ...

  1. #1

    Default WordPerfect for OpenServer

    I may have posted this a year or so ago but still have clients who would
    benefit from the final WordPerfect release for Unix. They need to do merge
    letters and right now the only way to do that easily is to export the
    desired fields from a Unix package, move them to Windows, and do the merge
    with MS Word.

    There is a used software company which has the package from time to time but
    he says he simply destroys all WP Unix packages he gets because he is afraid
    of lawsuits from Novell.

    I checked with Novell, SCO, Caldera, and the old WordPerfect group and all
    of them say they have absolutely no claims on the product, each saying they
    sold or gave it away, but still he won't sell me a package. Novell in
    particular said that I would absolutely be free to use any copy of WP for
    Unix but so far I haven't found any.

    Remember that this has to be something the client can do, and they can
    manage WordPerfect on Unix. I did sell several copies years ago on
    OpenServer and on Altos Unix boxes and they did just fine, translating
    medical dictation, etc.

    I found several packages which are supposed to emulate WordPerfect or MSWord
    on Unix but they fail to install on OSR 5.x.x.

    I called all my old clients and they have lost their copies since they moved
    on to other platforms.

    Any ideas about finding a copy? (Not the first one they released, it used
    to run wild and fill the partition, usually on a Saturday morning so I had
    to rush in on the weekend and get it stopped and delete all the junk it
    created.)

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: WordPerfect for OpenServer

    Don Williams wrote:

    Interesting quandry to be in. Are you implying that Corel feels licencing of
    WP on Unix is no longer an issue? I am running WP 8.0.0076 6/23/1998 on
    OSR5 5.0.6a and have the source CDs and required license. The software is
    from SDC ( Software Development Corporation ) who is no longer around.
    Have you checked with Corel?

    I have had about six versions of WP on Unix, must of missed that copy.

    If you can clear up the license issue, I have no problem suppling a copy.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    Don Williams wrote:

    I have a unused/unregistered copy of WP8 for UNIX that I'm willing to sell.
    I bought it as a spare copy and I use the other copy in production.

    What's so neat about this product is that we create the form letters using
    WP for Windows, save the .frm file out there on the server, and the included
    scripts (wpmerge) does the merging and printing for the user automatically
    behind the scenes. No need for the user to perform the merging themselves!
    Does graphics, signatures, etc. The only problem I have with it is that it
    doesn't merge the POSTNET zip bar code - or at least I haven't found a way
    to do that.

    -eric wood

    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    "Mike Brown" <ca> wrote in message news:ca... [/ref]
    merge [/ref]
    merge [/ref]
    but [/ref]
    afraid [/ref]
    all [/ref]
    they [/ref]
    for

    > Interesting quandry to be in. Are you implying that Corel feels licencing[/ref]
    of

    Yes, it's interesting but frustrating.

    I have checked with everyone who has ever had the product go through their
    hands and no one claims it, no one supports it, no one cares about it in any
    way. I think I may still have all the emails from the varous folks.

    I am convinced there is no licensing problem with anyone.

    There were two replies to my original post. This response is intended to
    apply to both of them.

    Just give me some details on what you have and a price and I will see what
    my client will pay. Being a doctor, I suspect he won't pay much. I'm going
    to start billing him in advance. He seems to be able to lose my invoices
    and always needs new copies!

    Thanks,

    DAW

    Don Guest

  5. #5

    In article <gx_mb.80199$socal.rr.com>, Don
    Williams <rr.com> wrote:

    Can those files be readon on WordPerfect for the MS platform.
    Corel was the last owner of WordPerfect.

    In the early '90s Novell was going to be an all things for everyone
    computer company, and they the Borland products, Word Perfect and
    Unix. Then in aboutg 1995 they spun all those off going back
    to doing wha they did best.

    ISTR that one client who had WP on SCO wound up using the doents
    they created on the Corel WP on the MS machines.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    A company by the name of Legacy Technology in Utah purchased up all the
    old Corel inventory when they decided to cut the line. The last version
    was 8.0 for X and I believe 5.2+ for character terminal (but don't quote
    me on this...). They can be reached at 800-650-4334 and they still have
    some v6.0/5.2+ when I last spoke to them a couple weeks ago. They also
    have technical support for their customers on this too.

    I believe Legacy Technology have been attempting negotiations (for
    several years) to get the IP rights to continue it, or at least legally
    reproduce more, but I don't think Corel is interested or something would
    have happened by now already.

    In light of the fact that openoffice.org is out there for free, I doubt
    there is going to be any intrest from commercial software companies to
    do anything for this (UNIX/Linux) market segment anymore in this space.

    Dave

    dave_ingalz Guest

  7. #7

    "dave_ingalz" <com> wrote in message

    Thanks,

    I took a look at the openoffice.org website and have the feeling that they
    aren't doing anything with respect to SCO Open Server.

    On the other hand, I have been successful in getting some Linux programs to
    run on OSR 5.0.6 so maybe there is hope.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    dave_ingalz <com> wrote:

    Just to clarify the above - that refers only to the Unix versions.
    The MS versions are still from Corel and their WordPerfect
    Office 11 is available for all currently MS supported OSes -
    starting with 98SE through XP with SP1.

    The only commercial version is from Sun. Reasonably priced for
    those who need supported sw. $79.95 single user. $1500 for a
    25 usr license, $50/usr for 150, and only $25/usr for a 10,000
    user organization. Linux/Solaris/all supported MS platforms.

    Next month they are planning to release their own bundled Linux,
    StarOffice package.

    Not a good time to be in the business of selling office sw.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest