Professional Web Applications Themes

work canvas--brand new user! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi-- I just loaded PSE 2.0 on my iMac this morning, so my apologies in advance for this very basic question. (I'm also just new to the whole Mac thing, so that probably doesn't help either.) The book I am using as a guide (Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions) says that when you first open the program, the work area or canvas area defaults to a grey color. However, when I have PSE up, the background area is my desktop picture, not a grey canvas. I've tried following the somewhat unclear directions from the Solutions book to change the color (select ...

  1. #1

    Default work canvas--brand new user!

    Hi-- I just loaded PSE 2.0 on my iMac this morning, so my apologies in advance for this very basic question. (I'm also just new to the whole Mac thing, so that probably doesn't help either.) The book I am using as a guide (Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions) says that when you first open the program, the work area or canvas area defaults to a grey color. However, when I have PSE up, the background area is my desktop picture, not a grey canvas.

    I've tried following the somewhat unclear directions from the Solutions book to change the color (select a foreground color, select the Paint Bucket, then while holding the shift key, click inside the canvas), but that doesn't work. I've also tried looking in the PSE User Guide, but I can't find anything in there that addresses this problem. I'm sure it's something simple, but I don't know what it is! Can anyone help me? Thanks for your time.
    Victoria_Bryan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: work canvas--brand new user!

    says that when you first open the program, the work area or canvas area
    defaults to a grey color.

    That is for Windows, Victoria. It's different for the mac.

    As for the second problem, try doing it without the shift key and see if that works.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Victoria, I have a Mac OS 9.2.2. You can go into the Appearance Control Panel and change your desktop pattern to something plain. (I use my own pictures for my desktops, and sometimes they can be rather bright, like flowers, I have them set to appear at random.)

    When I started using PSE in early March, I found that I got used to it soon, but you do have the option to make a plain blue, gray, or anything else with a Mac.

    Here are some examples, some are really neat,,,,,
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.2ccdf7e2>
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    One of the Photoshop books that I read a while back recommended
    setting desktop and windows color schemes to a light gray or
    silver color. The author stated that bright colors, especially
    blue interfered with the way the human eye sees color therefore
    skewing our attempts at adjusting photographs.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I read about using the gray background, too. It's really dull to look at all the time, but I try to remember to change to that color when I'm heading into a big Elements project, especially when I'm editing images from my digital camera. It doesn't seem to matter much when I'm working on old black and white photos.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Yes, in X you can also get rid of most of the color in toolbars and so on by going to system prefs>general and selecting the graphite appearance.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I think the bright blue scheme in Win XP is disorienting for working with color in PSE. Though boring, I did change my screen to neutral gray as seen in my screenshot in another post. FWIW

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    In Win XP, you can change the color scheme to Silver. It's much easier to look at than that garish blue color scheme.

    Right-click on the desktop and choose Properties. Then I think it's the Desktop tab (I'm on my Mac now, so I don't remember exactly) and change the scheme to Silver.
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest