Professional Web Applications Themes

Work flow - Macromedia Freehand

What's the best work flow from fh11 to dwmx04? Do you save your fh doc as a png, then import to fw or as a jpg and put it directly into dw (but then what if you have to modify it?) Or should you just create everything in fw and leave out fh altogether? This is one area where Adobe has bested MM. You just create a drawing in AI save it (as a native .ai file) in a directory in GL and insert it (the native .ai file) directly in GL. GL senses it and starts up the .ai ...

  1. #1

    Default Work flow

    What's the best work flow from fh11 to dwmx04?

    Do you save your fh doc as a png, then import to fw or as a jpg and put it
    directly into dw (but then what if you have to modify it?)
    Or should you just create everything in fw and leave out fh altogether?

    This is one area where Adobe has bested MM. You just create a drawing in AI
    save it (as a native .ai file) in a directory in GL and insert it (the
    native .ai file) directly in GL. GL senses it and starts up the .ai save
    for web dialog and then you save the resulting .jpg or .gif in your images
    directory in GL. If you need to modify the file you just double click it in
    the doent and it automatically starts up .ai to modify the original file.
    You then save and go back to GL and the graphic's been modified for you.

    Even fw's integration with dw is not as tight as ai or photoshop is with GL.

    If GL were a stable program and had more of a following it might give dw a
    run for its money.

    But I digress.

    Any help appreciated.
    --
    Rick in Tacoma

    OldCop Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Work flow

    OldCop;
    Where the additional power of Freehand is required for your image
    creation (fw is often enough), you can import your native freehand file into
    fireworks, save as png, optimise it for use in your web page, and export
    from there. Dw will offer an "edit" button that allows you to re-open the
    fw/png should you need to edit the image after it's exported from fw. -Tom
    Unger

    Tom Unger Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks

    --
    Rick in Tacoma

    OldCop Guest

  4. #4

    OldCop;
    You are welcome. Of course in practice such integration (Adobe, MM or
    any suite) is not always as useful as it may sound in the application
    specifications. Single images, tables and basic image swaps can work well
    enough (provided you know how to get good code out of the graphic
    pp). -Tom Unger

    Tom Unger Guest

  5. #5

    :confused; I am a graphic design student and I am trying to familarise myself
    with Freehand. But I am not sure what function it serve in reference to other
    Macromedia Programs. i.e. Flash, Fireworks, Director, and Dreamweaver. I do
    understand that freehand allows the layout of webpages with master pages and so
    on that can be exported directly to Flash. But how Fireworks fits into that
    picture I am not completely sure.

    I guess I am just trying to say I need a better understanding of the general
    workflow.
    For Flash Director Dreamwever Fireworks and Freehand.

    Janell Guest