Professional Web Applications Themes

Workflow with client question - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have have a client that is getting grumpy with his newsletter workflow. He gathers articals, sends them to me as the body of emails or Word attachments, I do the layout and send him as a .pdf which he prints out and make corrections, he gives back to me as a hard copy with his corrections, I make the corrections. He wants a way to make corrections in/on a digital file (no he does not have InDesgin nor is he going to get it) so that he does not have to print it out. What is the best workflow ...

  1. #1

    Default Workflow with client question

    I have have a client that is getting grumpy with his newsletter workflow.
    He gathers articals, sends them to me as the body of emails or Word attachments, I do the layout and send him as a .pdf which he prints out and make corrections, he gives back to me as a hard copy with his corrections, I make the corrections.
    He wants a way to make corrections in/on a digital file (no he does not have InDesgin nor is he going to get it) so that he does not have to print it out.

    What is the best workflow for this situation?
    bmclaughlin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Workflow with client question

    I would suggest using Acrobat's commenting feature. If you have Acrobat 7 Pro, you can even make it so that he can do his commenting in Adobe Reader (which is free).

    In Acrobat, look under the "Comments > Send for Review..." menu item.
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Peter's dead on. The only thing better would be an InCopy workflow but
    that can get pretty complicated if you're not both using the same server.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  4. #4

    > What is the best workflow for this situation?

    PDF is probably the best, but as a stupid-simple approach what if you
    copy/paste the articles into Word, and send those to him? He can edit and
    return, and you copy/paste back into ID.

    Catch: he cannot mess with formatting.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks - I will try that with him. Seems like a good idea to me...but so does soing some editing before it sent to me.
    bmclaughlin@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If you link the placed word file instead of just placing it, he can then edit the word file which shows up as modified in the links palette. This only work well if the edits are typos or small word changes that will not siginificantly interfere with reflow. In other words, sub the word file before placing it so any last minute changes are minor enough to fly under the radar.
    Fraser_Edward_Crozier@adobeforums.com Guest