Professional Web Applications Themes

Working with imported 35mm slide images - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Glenn, Try getting some BLACK construction paper and make a mask to cover all but the actual portion of the 35mm slide you'd wish to scan, then use 2400ppi for scanning and you'll be able to enlarge it for printing nicely. Just don't cover the area needed for the light to mirror on the 35mm device. That's needed for downlight scanning. Bob...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Working with imported 35mm slide images

    Glenn,

    Try getting some BLACK construction paper and make a mask to cover all but the actual portion of the 35mm slide you'd wish to scan, then use 2400ppi for scanning and you'll be able to enlarge it for printing nicely. Just don't cover the area needed for the light to mirror on the 35mm device. That's needed for downlight scanning.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  2. #2

    Mac,
    If it's like my HP 5470c, the adapter is called an XPA, and it fits in a slot in a holder that sits on top of the glass, and contains the light source and a slide/neg holder.
    I've never had any reflections problems with mine...
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  3. #3

    Jane - I'm interested in this - has anyone tried to copy slides using digital cameras? I've seen reference to the slide copier attachments with the Nikons, but haven't seen any reference to any for theCanon G3. I had some encouraging initial attempts to bodge together my own set up (involving a G3 with a +5closeup lens on a tripod and an old slide viewer with the magnifier removed) but it was hard to get the slide exactly plane to the camera lens and the uneven illumination from the lamp on the slide viwer causes overexposure at the centre and vignetting around the edges. Even so the results were about two hundred times quicker and much better than slides scanned with my Canon scanner (bought before I knew better about flat-bed scanners and transparencies!) . So does anyone have any tips? (the chances of me finding a commercial product in Australia are not good!)
    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  4. #4

    This Nikon Happenstance thingie is quite a smart invention. It works flawlessly. Here it is, <http://www.steves-digicams.com/happenstance.html>
    Here is just one of my thousands, its unPSEd, <http://www.pbase.com/image/2019859>
    that came out great.
    We spent the evening at a family and friend get-together that has gone on since 1906, and there are many old slides that our group needs to convert. But I am the only one with the older Nikon Coolpix, so there is going to be some real time and work involved with this project.
    My husband could retrofit something to fit other cameras, but the Macro has to be within an inch and the lens has to be stable so that it can be covered by this plastic thing. I will get back here tomorrow, as I spent the evening being asked about this.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Jane - With the shape of my G3 that device wouldn't work, I don't think. I will have a Google around the net and see if anyone else has had any bright ideas!

    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  6. #6

    That is a good idea, as I will bet that there are people who have made such a thing for other shape cameras.
    If my husband wasn't retired, that would be a great project for him. He is really good at making stuff like that.
    Good luck, Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Bob -Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Not sure how to select 2400 ppi, but I'll search for a way. Glenn
    Glenn Oster Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Mac
    Thanks for your interest.That little puppy is a trianglar unit. Never gave me any trouble until Adobe changed their software (I assume that I must have downloaded a later version that isn't nearly as successful as previously.) Glenn
    Glenn Oster Guest

  9. #9

    Of possible interest.

    Quality comparison of various techniques:

    [url]http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/slide-transfer.html[/url]

    Home-made flatbed transparency adaptor:

    [url]http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/scanning.html[/url]
    OldnSenile Guest

  10. #10

    Jane,

    Does your $4o slide digitizer also work for normal 35 mm film negatives? Can you buy it in Europe as too?

    Nikon offers for the 990 coolpix some adapter for 35 mm film but it seems at $100 way too expensive and I never´hear any one mention it and tell how wonderful it is.

    Looked at the web site you mentioned before which explains the digitizer and was impressed with the quality of the digitized prints.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest