Professional Web Applications Themes

worst case scenario of a update to a live site - ASP.NET General

Hello, About once every two days, I need to update the live/production site with new code (dlls, aspx's etc..), I currently have to find a time when no one should be logged in to system like early in the morning. However, occasionally I need to update it in the middle of the day where users are still using the system. What worst case scenario for our users would be then? I remember reading when I first started learning about asp.net that it's "designed" to be smart about replacing the being-used files but not sure what's the real experience out there ...

  1. #1

    Default worst case scenario of a update to a live site

    Hello,

    About once every two days, I need to update the live/production site with
    new code (dlls, aspx's etc..), I currently have to find a time when no one
    should be logged in to system like early in the morning. However,
    occasionally I need to update it in the middle of the day where users are
    still using the system. What worst case scenario for our users would be
    then? I remember reading when I first started learning about asp.net that
    it's "designed" to be smart about replacing the being-used files but not
    sure what's the real experience out there in that area.

    Thank you very much for your help

    Zeng Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: worst case scenario of a update to a live site

    Yep - I haven't had any problems with doing that.. no "The file is in use by
    another process" errors..

    You could also tweak the Session_Start in global.asa to bump everyone to
    "Unavailable.html" while you do the push.. then, comment that line out
    again..

    But so long as you are doing your pushes via VS.NET - I've had no problems..

    "Zeng" <com> wrote in message

    Frank Guest

  3. #3

    Assuming you have FrontPage Server Extensions on ServerA and Server B and
    ServerA is your development environment. In VS.NET, in the Solution Explorer
    for ServerA - there is an icon for "Copy Project". You specify the
    destination and VS.NET uses FPSE to push out your content to ServerB...

    "Zeng" <com> wrote in message
    via
    that [/ref]
    use
    > problems.. [/ref]
    > with [/ref]
    > one [/ref]
    > are [/ref][/ref]
    be [/ref]
    > that [/ref][/ref]
    not

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Frank Guest

  4. #4

    Are there any benefits to pushing content to the production server with
    VS.NET as you described, vs. a simple windows explorer file copy (other than
    convenience)? I'm reluctant to install FPSE (or any non-critical component)
    onto the production IIS box.

    "Frank Drebin" <com> wrote in message
    Explorer

    e Guest

  5. #5

    Because the files are being processed *through* IIS - you don't run into
    that file-locking problem.. Which you may, with doing it the manual way.

    But you are right, there is an additional security concern. If this is an
    Internet-accessible server - then you probably shouldn't use FPSE.

    "e" <ee.com> wrote in message news:net...
    than
    component) [/ref]
    and
    > Explorer
    >
    >[/ref]

    Frank Guest

  6. #6

    "Frank Drebin" <com> wrote in message

    With some of our servers, we have access to a back-end network over a VPN.
    In these cases, we're able to use Copy Project with the "File Share" mode,
    which does not require FPSE.

    The big advantage I find is that Copy Project can be told to only copy the
    files you need to run the project. No codebehind files are copied, for
    instance.

    BTW, it was my understanding that the reason one doesn't get "file locked"
    errors is that ASP.NET is running off of a shadow copy of the files, not off
    of the files in the actual web directory. When you copy files into the "web
    site", ASP.NET is notified and recompiles them (writing to the shadow
    directory).
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer